“Food is good, bring Jerry back from Italy” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 231 Restaurants in White Plains
Cuisines: Italian
“Food is good, bring Jerry back from Italy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

It's sad for patrons of this classic "joint" that Jerry takes the summer in Italy, as his son Sly keeps us from going there till Jerry comes back. I have never met a more controlling, arrogant, pompous restaurant front man than Sly. Jerry, come back, we miss you!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Rye NY
“Ask for the baked pizza dough bread ~”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stopped just before closing on a Monday night, hungry and cranky from an unpleasant meeting. Greeted by an old man I asked if I was too late for supper? Warmly welcomed, I was offered my choice of tables and escorted to a dining room booth.

Soon a bottle of water arrived, my drink order was taken and followed shortly by the most unusual bread I've seen. Not a loaf, it was round and about an inch thick, with what appeared to be ashes clinging to it. I asked my waitress to tell me about the bread and she apologized, saying that all the regular bread was gone and that this was a pizza round that had been baked in the brick oven (explained the ashes), and drizzled with olive oil. It was warm, crunchy and delicious.

For my entre I choose Meat with broccoli rabe and pasta - I picked sausage and rigatoni for the foundation - the dish was nicely prepared with plenty of oil and garlic, just the way I like it!

I hadn't been to LaMandas in decades - it's a White Plains classic - with excellent pizza, an ample selection of menu options, cheerful wait staff and a warm, casual atmosphere. I was back two weeks later with friends - what a feast!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Eastchester, New York
“Just good old fashioned Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We come here every once in a while, starting when I was a kid. The same family has owned it since 1966,The sauces are old style Italian and very flavorful. The portions are good. The Dad is still around,and checks on you when you are dining, and he is so kind to everyone. The Son is running the place, and he is very social, made us feel welcome If you like that small town feel, this is the place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hartsdale, New York
“Now run by an obnoxious guy !!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

The original owner , Jerry, was charming - greeted guests as if they were his friends - his son runs it now - obnoxious guy - we go there once a year for old times sake and are always dissapointed to see how his son deals with the patrons . The food is good but if you care about patronizing a small family run business with a nasty owner - don't go .

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Westchester, New York
“Old Italian Reliable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

75 year old local pasta joint. Old school bar. Most of the patrons have been coming for 25 years or more. Families at lunch, early dinner. Couples later. Good pizza, pasta with red sauce. Reliable.

Visited November 2012