“Great Meal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 42 The Restaurant

42 The Restaurant
1 Renaissance Square, at the Ritz-Carlton, White Plains, NY 10601 (Formerly 42)
914.761.4242
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
42 The Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 231 Restaurants in White Plains
Cuisines: American, Tapas, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: MTA Location 16 Ferris Avenue White Plains, NY 10601 (22.3 miles to Grand Central Terminal) Train Service HARLEM LINE
Description: Contemporary-casual and award-winning restaurant with Iberian New American cuisine and Tapas by Chef Anthony Goncalves located high atop the Ritz-Carlton, Westchester. A stunning setting, creative menu, and exquisite service make for an unforgettable dining experience. An Open Table award winner for Best View and Most Romantic.
New Rochelle, New York
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I could not agree more with the January 21 revewier. We had bought a Groupon for 42 long ago and it was about to expire and so with great trepidation went on MLK day after a tiring day skiing. The negative reviews were really off-putting.
What a surprise and a fabulous meal. We were of course asked if we wanted to step to the bar for a drink while they made up our table. While about to say no, the amazing happy hour specials M-F 6-8 caught our eye - $1 oysters, $7 for their fancy (normally $13 cocktails) etc. We had two delicious cocktails and six very nice oysters and told the hostess we were not in any hurry to be seated.
After moving to our table for dinner, our extremely gracious waiter informed us that there were additions to the limited Groupon menu (an additional soup choice and three additional entrees). He also told us that all wines in the extensive wine list were 1/2 price (I guess because it was Monday). A delicious Gruner Vetliner was ordered for the rock bottom price of $21 and was a perfect accompaniment to the meal.
We each had the fire grilled shrimp app, which while the shrimp were small there were five of them (unlike previous reviews that said there were three) and they were in delicious sauce. We both then had butternut squash soup which was to die for. Easily in the five best soups of my life (along with some from Commanders Palace in Nawlins and my brother-in-law's lobster bisque). Truly amazing soup course.
For entrees, I had a terrific pork shoulder - unbelievably tender and delicious (and unlike any other pork dish I have ever had) and my wife had the skirt steak, which she really enjoyed. There was also a complimentary small amuse buche of "pastrami of salmon" along the way. For dessert, we each tried one of the two available Grooupon desserts, one a creme caramel and the other churros with dipping sauce.- both very good.
I don't know what the negative reviews are all about but this was one of the best meals I have had in the past year (probably second to Tallulah's on Thames in Newport, RI). I would highly recommend going to 42 with an open mind and enjoying the gracious service, killer views, fabulous cocktails, extensive wine list and top notch food. I am not a shill and write plenty of negative reviews when the hotel or restaurant deserves it - this is a world class restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

NY
“Great Place for an Occassion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was really dreading the evening at 42. We had bought a Groupon in the summer, and I just recently read the reviews here about people's experiences. But, I was so pleasantly surprised. 42 was really a great place and I would recommend it, with or without Groupon.

The entire staff was so gracious. Service was excellent. Even if I tried, I could find nothing to complain about. Everything we wanted was brought timely, and we never felt we were being rushed to vacate our table (and on a Saturday night).

The view was spectacular. Even though we were on a Groupon, we got a great table overlooking the south side -- we could see all of the way to Manhattan We had what is called a banquet (Sp?), which means both of us were facing in the same direction.

The menu was limited, but the chef had added some extra selections for the evening. I had the shrimp -- it was tasty and it was more than big enough. My husband had a salad with greens, apples and pecans. I had butternut squash soup -- so good, and my husband had the mushroom soup, which he liked as well. I had the salmon, which was nicely prepared, and he had the skirt steak. He thought there was a bit too much butter on it. Desserts were fine, though not spectacular. The wine menu had different price points.

I thought the price of the meal (without the Groupon) would have been a little high for us. But, upon reflection, we decided we would never order 4 courses -- just too much food for each of us. So, if we had only two courses, we could certainly see coming back again for a special occasion at a fair price.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NY
“Shame on you 42”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Was there about a year ago and all was good. A lot has changed since then. Last time I did not have a discount certificate and this time I had one where I paid $175.00 for 4 people. It would normally be $350.00. That included a 4 course dinner with a bottle of wine. Personally I don't think the certificate had any thing to do with the whole experience. Firstly, for every course, the food or drink was given to the wrong person. This should not happen in a restaurant of this caliber. This didn't happen once but every course. The appetizer and soup were just okay but the preparation of the main course was done wrong and the vegetables were cold. Dessert was adequate. All in all, the whole dining experience was disappointing, to say the least. Who would pay the regular price should think twice. I will not return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
new york
“No window seat?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

One of the reasons to try 42 is to check out the view. The two times I visited this restaurant we were seated in the middle of the restaurant while several window seats were available. What's up with that? Their high rent is baked into your overpriced meal. Portions were small. Overall disappointed. If you want to check out the place go to the bar and make dinner reservations at Mulino's.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Yonkers, New York
“Worst service ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was expecting more from a restaurant of this caliber. The service was poor from trying to make a reservation (calls and e-mails not returned), to not being seated on time, to the unattentive waiter...and all with an unapologetic attitude. Will not be recommending to anyone. Will not be going back. Too bad I can't rate it a zero...it ruined a truly special occasion.

• Visited December 2012