“Our Summer Place To Go” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   7 Beach Lane, Westhampton Beach, NY 11978   |
Wilton, Connecticut, United States
“Our Summer Place To Go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Before there were Mc’ Mansion’s, Starbucks on every corner and 3 year olds getting mani pedi’s, there used to be a simple time. Families would pack up the car and go away for a week. It wasn’t ever the Ritz (one of my favorite travel properties) but it was always simple and great.

How I wish my children could live in that time, in that life when things were not candy coated and perfect.

I did find a great little place a number of years ago that brings me back to that time the Grassmere in West Hampton Beach of all places!

It is definitely not the Ritz, but the owner Peter and his staff are so helpful, nice and caring they are the reason we return to the Grassmere every summer.

The location is perfect, around the corner from town and about a 10-minute walk to the beach!

My children and I have a standing reservation at the Grassmere . To us it’s like visiting family. We have met others who return year after year and we really enjoy catching up with them over breakfast on the patio or at night on the front porch.

The Grassmere is also affiliated with a terrific tennis camp just down Montauk highway. And naturally Peter will make arrangements to drive you to and from it if you don’t have the wheels to get there.

Hopefully you will give the Grassmere a try, its worth it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
westhamptontennis, Owner at Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
I am the owner of the Grassmere Inn. Obviously we are happy this family enjoys their stays with us. We have many, many returning guests year in and year out. However, bear in mind the Hamptons have a lot to offer in the fall and winter. The Beaches are still beautiful. Many restaurants have specials. And, wine country is minutes away. On top of that, rates at the Inns typically drop dramatically !!! Thanks for taking the time to write.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This place is a dump! Do not waste your time or money on the filthy and I mean filthy old house. It is marketed as clean and not fancy with basic amenities. It is old, water damaged, cracked windows, mold, filthy bathrooms and showers, with security cameras everywhere. Would not be surprised if they are in rooms as well. The owner has money for security cameras but not a can of paint? It looks like it is from a third world company. The pictures on line must be from 30 years ago with a different owner. This place needs to be condemned! Stay away!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
westhamptontennis, Manager at Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
If you are considering staying with us, please take the 30 seconds to read my review and feel free to call me at home. I provide all guests with my regular home number as I would like all to know I am accountable and responsible for their stay. Obviously I am concerned about this review. I do not know how this person booked. I handle 99 % of the reservations that are done directly with the Hotel and virtually all feel I provide realistic expectations and meet or exceed those expectations. I also attempt to call every single guest who books online. That is not always possible as there are times contact information is not provided. While operating accommodations in the Hamptons is incredibly challenging, we take every reservation seriously and virtually all guests feel our accommodatons are immaculate. Whether one pays $85 per night or $400, he/she is entitled to peace, tranquility, and cleanliness. And, realistic expectations. Our housekeeping staff have no time limit to clean a room. They must do a thorough job or they will not have a job. After one cleans a room, a front office person must inspect it and sign off. Frequently a second front office person will inspect and sign off. That is why we have virtually no cleanliness or housekeeping issues. In fact, to make all of our rooms as clean as possible, within the past year we replaced beautiful Stark Carpet with wood flooring. We either reclaimed the old wood floors or installed new. 17 of the 22 guest rooms have the new wood floors. We recently replaced the entire roof. We are in the midsty of replacing many of the bathroom fixtures and have done so to many of the rooms. We will not be fancy. We will not have marble bathrooms. We do not have flatscreen tvs. However, we are and will continue to be super neat and clean as virtually every guest will attest. And, yes. despite the fact we are in an incredibly safe area and keep staff on every floor throughout the bldgs, we have installed security cameras. Unfortunately, though we attempt to screen as many guests as possible, it is not possible. So, the security cameras add to the safety of all our guests. PS Being by the ocean we paint virtually every single year. 914 234 9462 is my home number if anyone would like to call
New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I love the Grassmere Inn. Peter, the owner will make sure your stay is accommodating, to say the least. He will actually become your friend. It is situated perfectly, walk to town and beach. The town is quaint, quiet and just enough for a nice vacation. The beach is a nice walk down street and is awesome, the tennis is in town and all the instructors and personnel are professional and so friendly. If you want a great experience without all the fluff and expense I suggest you try it. I tried it many years ago and I continue to make it there every year.

Room Tip: Main house is comfortable, but for more privacy, try the other house.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Usually, I live in Bridgehampton however, I had a change of plans this Summer and I wanted to find a place that was cozy and not unlike my home. I called several places and when I spoke to Peter, the owner of the Inn, I felt a certain ease which is important because my stay was going to be one of many weekends in the Hamptons. His earnest nature and pleasant rapport made me feel at ease immediately. He accurately explained in detail the rooms and their availability. I happen to be a light sleeper and I slept perfectly during my stays. I found the staff to be helpful and friendly at all times. The rooms (well of course I have my Favorite******) are all quaintly designed with charming accents and decorations that add a special touch. It's a gem so if you find yourself heading to the Hamptons, The Grassmere Inn should be at the Top of You List on places to Stay.

Room Tip: You can't have mine but all the rooms are great. It depends on your needs and Peter will guide y...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bedford Hills, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Our family gets to the Hamptons once or twice during the summer, we stayed at the Grassmere this year and we were pleasantly surprised at every turn. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff are young and friendly, and the location is great for access to the town and the beach. The owner is constantly resent and making sure all the accommodations are comfortable. We have no complaints at all and i would recommend the Inn to those that don't want to venture as far as Montauk.

Room Tip: Get a room with a bathroom some rooms share a bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Peter, the owner, treats his guests very well and has established a warm environment in the heart of westhampton. He offers advice on local attractions and the hotel's proximity to everything makes this a great choice when visiting the pricy hamptons.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Long Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The lady on reception was nice and helpful. The room was clean but extremely run down, bathroom shower held together with strapping tape, bed broke when we sat on it and we think $100 went missing when the bed was fixed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
westhamptontennis, Owner at Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I encourage anyone considering to stay with us to take the 30 seconds to read my response and feel free to call me at home 914 234 9462. Once again, I am happy that the guest felt our front office was courteous and helpful and the room was clean. Cleanliness, service, safety, and a great value are our priorities. All guests should know that it is wise to take precautions and not leave any valuables out anywhere. However, knock on wood, that has been a total non issue for us. We constantly test and tempt our staff to see if anything would disappear. EG We leave earrings and other jewelry in drawers. Money too large to be considered a tip under beds and on dressers, etc. Staff is even advised they are not to touch personal belongings. In other words, upon check in, guests are advised if they would like their beds made, they must keep all belongings off the bed. There is no evidence on the security tapes of anyone other than the person who looked at the bed (it came off the frame), entering the room. So, if by some chance something was taken, it could only have been done by one person. I believe there is zero chance of that happening. In fact, the guest did not advise us about this until check out. So, while perhaps she thinks it was taken, we do not believe that was the case. Re Shower. We thoroughly inspect each room. However, we can miss things. In this particular case we did. The shower is the handheld type with a flexible hose. It is true that there is a leak and unbeknownst to us, someone must have put a band aide on it. Within 30 minutes we replaced this.

Been to Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!