“A day at the beach” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   7 Beach Lane, Westhampton Beach, NY 11978   |
Ossining, New York
“A day at the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I needed a " mental health day" and picked the Westhampton B&B Grassmere Inn on a warm June day.

The host Peter is incredibly welcoming and went out of his way to make our stay special giving us tips on the beach access, the best spots for a skinny Margarita, great seafood and Italian fare. He also introduced us to his tennis camp,coaches who offered us a court, a bunch of balls, and a great challenge on the courts of Eastside tennis club. The inn is well appointed and the beds and pillows comfortable and freshly made early in the day. A complimentary breakfast is available till 10 am and offers a good start to an active day in a pretty breakfast room with French doors to an outside patio overlooking the bocce court and swing set for the children. The beach is a mile down a straight flat road, very accessible by car, for, rollerblades or bikes. The quaint town is a hop,skip and a jump from the Inn with a bank, post office and 24 hr pharmacy just around the corner and lots of shops to make a stroll around town interesting. If you want NOTHING to do fresh coffee and daily newspapers are available to enjoy on the front porch in rocking chairs for as long as you want to linger. The Grassmere Inn is the best option to enjoy all that the Hamptonsmoffer without breaking the bank. I LOVE this place and recommend it to all of my friends.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet and private and have AC
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Screen in bathroom broken so bugs came in. Area under sink not painted. No place to put clothing. Fairly clean but tub needs painting or replacing. For $300 a night could have been a lot better. Place is a dump with a good location.

• Stayed June 2013
westhamptontennis, Owner at Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
To all those who read the above review, please take 1 minute to read my response. I am the owner of the Grassmere Inn. I am sorry this traveler did not enjoy the experience that 98 % of our guests do. I personally handle 99 % of the inquiries and reservations and even contact virtually every single guest prior to his/her arrival. If one books online, I will even attempt to call them though at times that is not possible (many online bookings have no contact info). There is no excuse for no screen in the bathroom. We have taken care of that. It was an oversight which is unacceptable. And, the bathroom in the room this guest was in has old fixtures. Some find them charming. Some don't like them. As a factual matter, this is the same room that a Good Morning America host selected as well as one of Barack Obama's top aides. And, a professional basketball player stayed in this same room as did the wife of a CEO of a publicly traded company. They know the Hamptons and apparently found this room charming!! In fact, OBAMA's top aide and family extended their stay. We focus on cleanliness and service. Apparently this and expectations. Perhaps he is just unfamiliar with the Hamptons. As far as no place to put clothing, that simply is inaccurate. There is a large dresser with drawers in addition to a hanging rack. I don't know where this person has stayed where he could find a decent room in the Hamptons for $300 and be able to book just a Saturday night. The real estate and related expenses (taxes, insurance, compliance issues, alarms, oil, electric, ) are a fortune. However, the season is incredibly short and weekend oriented. Saturday night wipes out a weekend. Additionally, there is no sewage system. Therefore, turning over the rooms and keeping up with the laundry is labor intensive and massively expensive. We do have different levels of rooms. Most, but not all, prefer our main bldg. This person booked a less expensive room in the back. If you are seeking a room that is super, neat and clean, in a great location, you might want to consider us. If you are expecting a 5*, you will likely be unhappy in most accommodations in the Hamptons. In fact, look at the reviews of most accommodations in the Hamptons. Rarely will people write nice reviews. Feel free to call me directly with any questions or concerns. Peter Kaplan 631 288 4021
Meridian, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Had the great fortune to stay here during the winter (off season) for six weeks. I needed a place to stay while on a business project nearby. I am from the deep south in Mississippi, and was taken great care of during the huge blizzard. Peter and the staff were great and went out of their way to see to it that my stay was a memorable one. You just have to remember that this Inn was built in 1885. It doesn't have the amenities of a modern hotel but that is the charm of it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised and happy with my stay at the Grassmere Country Inn. I had been there two years ago and I found many wonderful changes. For starters many of the rooms including the one I stayed in appears to have been upgraded. Remember, this is a country bed and breakfast inn and one should not expect the kinds of conveniences that one would get in a 5 star city hotel. On the other hand it is quaint, not far from all of the Hampton attractions. The biggest plus is the ownership including the workers. They cannot do enough to make your stay the best. One worker saw me carrying my suitcase downstairs and rushed to help me. "Why are you carrying it, we would have done it for you." My response was "I need the exercise."

This is one example. If you need anything at any time jump to fill your request. One of us came by train and did not want to walk to the beach so the person at the front desk drove him. We wanted info on what to see and do in the area and they quickly printed out stuff for us and gave us brochures. There are more examples. So yes, I left with a very warm feeling for this hotel and hope to return again in the near future.

Room Tip: There is a choice of a room with a shared bathroom or a room with a private bathroom. We chose the o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

the grassmere in has been recently renovated. i LOVED my room. it was clean, comfortable and inviting. the staff is very friendly and helpful. definetely an A+. breakfast was great with fresh coffee ,fruits and croissants.. my favorites.! love the place and I will defintely come back! oh, and also , super affordable! :)

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Honestly I could not tell you how amazing the owner of this quaint and lovely B&B is. After getting a call from a hotel on dune road in Westhampton that they were't going to be open 18 day before my wedding - Peter was amazing and acted fast getting me information and all of the details I needed to get over to my guests.

He's very detailed, honest, and SO helpful. If you are looking for a cute beachy place to stay that's walkable to the beach and right in town, Grassmere is the place to be. From my interactions with him I know my guests are in great hands!

Thank you!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Columbia South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Grassmere Inn is an experience not only an Inn. The affordable price allowed my family to relax knowing we weren't breaking the bank to come to the Hamptons. The friendly staff made us feel like we could request whatever we liked. For example the owner gave us some beach chairs and drove my family and I down to the beach, even though we could have easily walked. We formed relationships with some of the employees and really enjoyed their company. We met another family who was from South Carolina whom thought the hospitality was great! The relaxed environment makes you feel like you are at home,not a hotel.
The best part about the inn is the location. Since we like being out and about location was crucial. We were in walking distance to the beach and around the corner from downtown. The library was right behind the inn and is the closest place for guests to stay close to the beach.We will definitely come back to see our old friends we made at the inn, walk to Rogers beach, and shop downtown. The beachy feel was perfect for our laidback family.

Room Tip: The two story back building provides privacy for a big family. Room 2 was wonderful!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!