“A splendid Hamptons Country Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   7 Beach Lane, Westhampton Beach, NY 11978   |
“A splendid Hamptons Country Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised and happy with my stay at the Grassmere Country Inn. I had been there two years ago and I found many wonderful changes. For starters many of the rooms including the one I stayed in appears to have been upgraded. Remember, this is a country bed and breakfast inn and one should not expect the kinds of conveniences that one would get in a 5 star city hotel. On the other hand it is quaint, not far from all of the Hampton attractions. The biggest plus is the ownership including the workers. They cannot do enough to make your stay the best. One worker saw me carrying my suitcase downstairs and rushed to help me. "Why are you carrying it, we would have done it for you." My response was "I need the exercise."

This is one example. If you need anything at any time jump to fill your request. One of us came by train and did not want to walk to the beach so the person at the front desk drove him. We wanted info on what to see and do in the area and they quickly printed out stuff for us and gave us brochures. There are more examples. So yes, I left with a very warm feeling for this hotel and hope to return again in the near future.

Room Tip: There is a choice of a room with a shared bathroom or a room with a private bathroom. We chose the o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

the grassmere in has been recently renovated. i LOVED my room. it was clean, comfortable and inviting. the staff is very friendly and helpful. definetely an A+. breakfast was great with fresh coffee ,fruits and croissants.. my favorites.! love the place and I will defintely come back! oh, and also , super affordable! :)

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Honestly I could not tell you how amazing the owner of this quaint and lovely B&B is. After getting a call from a hotel on dune road in Westhampton that they were't going to be open 18 day before my wedding - Peter was amazing and acted fast getting me information and all of the details I needed to get over to my guests.

He's very detailed, honest, and SO helpful. If you are looking for a cute beachy place to stay that's walkable to the beach and right in town, Grassmere is the place to be. From my interactions with him I know my guests are in great hands!

Thank you!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Columbia South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Grassmere Inn is an experience not only an Inn. The affordable price allowed my family to relax knowing we weren't breaking the bank to come to the Hamptons. The friendly staff made us feel like we could request whatever we liked. For example the owner gave us some beach chairs and drove my family and I down to the beach, even though we could have easily walked. We formed relationships with some of the employees and really enjoyed their company. We met another family who was from South Carolina whom thought the hospitality was great! The relaxed environment makes you feel like you are at home,not a hotel.
The best part about the inn is the location. Since we like being out and about location was crucial. We were in walking distance to the beach and around the corner from downtown. The library was right behind the inn and is the closest place for guests to stay close to the beach.We will definitely come back to see our old friends we made at the inn, walk to Rogers beach, and shop downtown. The beachy feel was perfect for our laidback family.

Room Tip: The two story back building provides privacy for a big family. Room 2 was wonderful!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cortlandt Manor, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you want some fun in the sun, great food, amazing location, spectacular beach, tennis, etc., consider the Grassmere Inn, in West Hampton Beach. The facility is clean and cozy and serves a nice light breakfast. Whether you are with your family or your friends, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: I've stayed in many over the years.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cortlandt Manor, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Grassmere Inn has a warm, homey feel to it. The accommodations are simple but clean. There are rooms with private baths and some with shared facilities; these bathrooms are larger than the others and never pose any problem. If you're expecting a 5 star hotel, the Grassmere is not for you but if want a warm, friendly, albeit sparsely decorated, clean stay, this is the place for you. It's an old house with stairs that creek, and a third floor that is a little slanted, it's quaint. The staff is wonderful and accommodating.
Peter Kaplan, the owner, is not only accommodating, he's a genuinely nice guy. When making reservations, he carefully selects the right room for you based on the size of the group, the type of people (there are many tennis players because he also owns a local tennis facility that offers a variety of lessons, group programs and just playing recreational tennis.
The location is perfect! Turn a corner and you're walking into this quaint, beachy town which offers fabulous shops, a variety of eating establishments and the most wonderful bakery that also serves coffee and tea, a 2 minute walk from the Inn.
You're a mile from Westhampton Beach (a private beach) and along with your stay at the Grassmere, you are given a beach pass. I stayed at the Grassmere 12 consecutive summers with a group of friends to play tennis, beach, eat and bum around the town, in which you can walk around in shorts.

Room Tip: Any room on the first floor (not the ground floor); I love the one at the top of the stairs or to th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
bellmore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have never written a review before. I have mostly trusted this site for their reviews. But this one missed the mark by a long shot. I don't know where the other reviewers stayed, but this placed was awful. Our room had no head from the radiator so they put a desk heater on the night stand. That was no help. We were brought an extra blanket for warmth, imagine that. It took forever for hot water to get to the third floor sink just to wash my hands. Nowhere did it say no breakfast at this "Bed and Breakfast" during the off season. I can understand that, but being told when we arrived was unprofessional. We didn't even spend the night. We got into bed, out of bed, into the car and on the road. I can understand an old stairway creeking a bit, but I felt bad for people sleeping lighly when others had to go to the third floor later in the night. Thankfully our room had a new laminate floor, the carpeting in the place and the runners were disgusting. I'm sorry, you couldn't even say this place is like "roughing it." UGH!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
westhamptontennis, Owner at Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
To anyone who has read the above review, please take the 1 minute to read my response. I am the owner of the Grassmere Inn. I believe the above complaints to be legitimate with 2 small exceptions to be explained. I have already responded to this particular guest and invited her back.. I am 99 % certain she booked online. When one books online, we frequently do not get contact information. I handle 99 % of the inquiries and provide my home number to every single prospective guest. It is on all websites affiliated with us and our hotel provides it. We really want every single guest to have realistic expectations and we meet or exceed those expectations 99 % of the time. I have been advised that I am the only hotel owner in the US who will try to contact every single guest prior to arrival even if one books online. However, when one does book online, frequently contact information is not provided and we cannot get it. That was the case here !! This guest had room 15. Unbeknownst to us prior to "Mary's" stay, there was a problem with the radiator. The pipe the bringing hot water to this particular radiator has gotten clogged. We must replace it and are doing so. Fortunately, we also try to be as accommodating as possible. Some people like rooms warmer than others. So, we keep some portable heaters on property. The Manager on Duty decided to give these guests one as there was nothing else she could do. Re : Breakfast. We do not offer breakfast September 3 - May 25 of each season. It is on every website when one books online. As I said, I try to contact each guest and advise them such just in case they miss this. Carpets The carpets in virtually every single guest room have been replaced with wood flooring. The hallway carpet needs to be replaced and is being done. Mary would have known this prior to arrival had I had contact information for her/them. 914 234 9462 is my home number if anyone would like to discuss.

Been to Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!