“In need of a facelift” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Westhampton Beach
The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis
You added The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis to your Saves list
231 Dune Road, Westhampton Beach, NY 11978 (Formerly The Bath & Tennis Hotel and Marina)   |
Fairfield, Ct
“In need of a facelift”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed overnight here while attending a wedding. Agree with an earlier reviewer that the reception desk could not appear to be any more indifferent in attitude. They did look like a group of college students who did not want to be there.

We were first given a room across the street "overlooking the tennis courts," like that was a real draw (it was not). It was a rainy, cold day -when my husband and I drove over to the room, we noticed right away our car was the only one there. We walked into the room and were overcome by the fumes of bleach. Could barely breathe. I called the front desk and asked if there were any rooms available in the main buliding. They said they "didn't think so." I asked them nicely to please check as it would be somewhat inconvenient to walk across the parking lot and street in the rain while formally dressed for a wedding.

They said there were 2 left, so we promptly took one. Question: why didn't they give us one of those rooms to begin with? I don't understand that part, but will credit them at least for moving us so quickly.

It's too bad - the location is beautiful, but the place is to put it candidly, a dump. I can't believe we were charge $150 for the tiny smelly room we were in. Between the cool hospitality and the subpar conditions of the rooms, we would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel for the money.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed there for a wedding. The wedding was excellent, the cermony was on the beach!!!!! The food was excellent and everything else was perfect. The hotel part of which this review is about - we stayed on the bay side - the room was small - this room looked like it had a recent upgrade - everything worked and was OK. I think it depends on the room you get if it will be OK or not. Several people in the wedding were complaining about their rooms. Our were OK. Nice porch with neat chairs to relax looking at the marina. Staff was pleasant. Bed was very good. The only draw back on this room was it's size. It was packed tight with everything - ref, microwave etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The rooms smell badly. Toxic, almost. The smoke detector woke us at 1:30am and 2:00am. We changed rooms at 2:20am. Another toxic room. The cleaning staff leave doors open while cleaning the rooms.... alas, bugs flying all around the room all night. The tubs and toilets and tabletops are from the 1960's. Also... no restaurant or food or bottled water available. We seriously considered sleeping in our car due to the overwhelming odors and general un-clean feeling of the place.
It is a shame really. This motel resides on a beautiful property on a great beach in a fabulous town. I would not recommend this motel/hotel to anyone. Sleep in your car.

Room Tip: Find another hotel, any hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Westhampton Beach hotels

cgibbon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and I wish I had read the online reviews (nearly all of which are poor) before making a reservation.
First, when I called to reserve our stay they told me the soonest dates they had available were the two days after Labor Day (which was two months away from when I called), so I accepted those dates. What they did NOT tell me was that their restaurant CLOSED ON LABOR DAY, so that there was nowhere to eat a meal, or even get a cup of coffee or glass of wine, water or anything at all to eat or drink ANYWHERE ON THE PREMISES. And, they are a few miles from the nearest town! I was there with my 6 year old, so we spent $50 a day on taxi fares (to say nothing of the inconvenience of having to call for a taxi, wait for the taxi, etc) to go back and forth from the town to get meals each day. We could have bought stuff at the supermarket, and we did, but there were no cooking facilities in the small rooms, and living on cold bagels eaten in a tiny room every day is not exactly a resort experience.
When I expressed my dismay at check-in (I discovered the above when I casually enquired where the restaurant was) they had no concern whatsoever.
There are many minor things wrong with the Westhampton Bath & Tennis, which add up to a poor experience even if they had bothered to let me know their restaurant was not going to be open at the time they booked me in (to cite a few: rooms are basically the same as in a Motel 6 (but Motel 6 does not call itself a resort and charge hundreds of dollars a night); eg, tiny rooms, cardboard walls, industrial-strength lighting switched on all night right outside the window, with no curtains to block (just flimsy venetian blinds which let most of the light in).
We bought a Travelzoo deal which was a discount, but a discount should not mean substandard. I give it two stars because of the beach and also the pool, which was a good size.

It is a shame that they use their prime position on the lovely beach to provide such a poor service. It means I not only don't want to return to this establishment, but I don't want to return to Westhampton, or to buy another travelzoo deal either, since I wonder if those deals are all just subpar places looking to make a quick buck without any concern for return customers.

Room Tip: Mine was overlooking the tennis court and was poor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

For its absolutely gorgeous location this place needs an attitude overhaul. It's run, for the most part, by college kids who clearly wished they were somewhere else. Unless you want a smelly-moldy, overpriced room and a sofa bed that's in sad need of replacement I strongly recommend you look for another hotel to spend your vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I spent Memorial Day at the Bath and Tennis. For 300 dollars, I got a postage stamp room with furniture and amenities to match. The linens were of 1960's vintage. There is no room service and, after 9, one can't purchase a bottle of water or soda. On the flip side, the beach was easily accessible and not crowded. And the tennis courts looked nice. Also, there is a very nice party room overlooking the beach. If you get married here, go somewhere else for your wedding night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding a few weeks ago with my wife. First night we shared the room with the groom (night before his wedding).

First thing you should know about this place is that it appears that most rooms are actually owned like condos and when you rent a room here, you are kind of time sharing their space. So if you stay here you are basically going to feel like you're staying in someone else's vacation home, without the personal effects. Each room is decorated differently, and since we were with a group, i saw several of the rooms and can say that there is a wide variety of quality across them. We had some problems, others did not and had a better time than we did.

My advice is that if you haven't seen the room you're renting exactly, you should know that you're rolling the dice on the quality of your room.

The Good: They did a great job hosting the wedding (right on the beach), reception, and after-party (fire on the beach). The staff at the front desk was very cool and helpful. We had a few problems in our room (below) and the staff did their absolute best to resolve all issues quickly when we complained. Tennis courts & pool looked great, but did not try. They were very cool about late checkouts (we left on a Monday in the off season, so i'm guessing there also wasn't pressure to turn the room over).

The Bad: Interior of rooms vary, ours seemed to have been designed in the 70s by a miami retiree, others were decorated like cool rocky mountain cabins and in perfect condition. Shower/toilets were not working properly for us (not a great situation for the groom on his wedding day), pull out couch that was advertised for the room was broken, so the top half tilted towards the floor at a 45 degree angle (I slept on the floor that night). Rooms that are NOT facing the ocean are a 5 minute walk from the pool, and almost 10 from the beach.

It should be noted that they credited us very fairly and apologized for some of the problems we experienced during our stay, but sometimes $ can't make up for a lost experience...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis? Share your experiences!