“beautiful beach, nice pool, poor hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Westhampton Beach
The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis
You added The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis to your Saves list
231 Dune Road, Westhampton Beach, NY 11978 (Formerly The Bath & Tennis Hotel and Marina)   |
cgibbon
“beautiful beach, nice pool, poor hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and I wish I had read the online reviews (nearly all of which are poor) before making a reservation.
First, when I called to reserve our stay they told me the soonest dates they had available were the two days after Labor Day (which was two months away from when I called), so I accepted those dates. What they did NOT tell me was that their restaurant CLOSED ON LABOR DAY, so that there was nowhere to eat a meal, or even get a cup of coffee or glass of wine, water or anything at all to eat or drink ANYWHERE ON THE PREMISES. And, they are a few miles from the nearest town! I was there with my 6 year old, so we spent $50 a day on taxi fares (to say nothing of the inconvenience of having to call for a taxi, wait for the taxi, etc) to go back and forth from the town to get meals each day. We could have bought stuff at the supermarket, and we did, but there were no cooking facilities in the small rooms, and living on cold bagels eaten in a tiny room every day is not exactly a resort experience.
When I expressed my dismay at check-in (I discovered the above when I casually enquired where the restaurant was) they had no concern whatsoever.
There are many minor things wrong with the Westhampton Bath & Tennis, which add up to a poor experience even if they had bothered to let me know their restaurant was not going to be open at the time they booked me in (to cite a few: rooms are basically the same as in a Motel 6 (but Motel 6 does not call itself a resort and charge hundreds of dollars a night); eg, tiny rooms, cardboard walls, industrial-strength lighting switched on all night right outside the window, with no curtains to block (just flimsy venetian blinds which let most of the light in).
We bought a Travelzoo deal which was a discount, but a discount should not mean substandard. I give it two stars because of the beach and also the pool, which was a good size.

It is a shame that they use their prime position on the lovely beach to provide such a poor service. It means I not only don't want to return to this establishment, but I don't want to return to Westhampton, or to buy another travelzoo deal either, since I wonder if those deals are all just subpar places looking to make a quick buck without any concern for return customers.

Room Tip: Mine was overlooking the tennis court and was poor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

For its absolutely gorgeous location this place needs an attitude overhaul. It's run, for the most part, by college kids who clearly wished they were somewhere else. Unless you want a smelly-moldy, overpriced room and a sofa bed that's in sad need of replacement I strongly recommend you look for another hotel to spend your vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I spent Memorial Day at the Bath and Tennis. For 300 dollars, I got a postage stamp room with furniture and amenities to match. The linens were of 1960's vintage. There is no room service and, after 9, one can't purchase a bottle of water or soda. On the flip side, the beach was easily accessible and not crowded. And the tennis courts looked nice. Also, there is a very nice party room overlooking the beach. If you get married here, go somewhere else for your wedding night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding a few weeks ago with my wife. First night we shared the room with the groom (night before his wedding).

First thing you should know about this place is that it appears that most rooms are actually owned like condos and when you rent a room here, you are kind of time sharing their space. So if you stay here you are basically going to feel like you're staying in someone else's vacation home, without the personal effects. Each room is decorated differently, and since we were with a group, i saw several of the rooms and can say that there is a wide variety of quality across them. We had some problems, others did not and had a better time than we did.

My advice is that if you haven't seen the room you're renting exactly, you should know that you're rolling the dice on the quality of your room.

The Good: They did a great job hosting the wedding (right on the beach), reception, and after-party (fire on the beach). The staff at the front desk was very cool and helpful. We had a few problems in our room (below) and the staff did their absolute best to resolve all issues quickly when we complained. Tennis courts & pool looked great, but did not try. They were very cool about late checkouts (we left on a Monday in the off season, so i'm guessing there also wasn't pressure to turn the room over).

The Bad: Interior of rooms vary, ours seemed to have been designed in the 70s by a miami retiree, others were decorated like cool rocky mountain cabins and in perfect condition. Shower/toilets were not working properly for us (not a great situation for the groom on his wedding day), pull out couch that was advertised for the room was broken, so the top half tilted towards the floor at a 45 degree angle (I slept on the floor that night). Rooms that are NOT facing the ocean are a 5 minute walk from the pool, and almost 10 from the beach.

It should be noted that they credited us very fairly and apologized for some of the problems we experienced during our stay, but sometimes $ can't make up for a lost experience...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We love this spot, we have a place to stay when we are in WHB, but we were married here on the beack in 2002, and stayed over on our wedding night. We come back and dine at here for Monday Lobster Night.The beach is a beautiful white soft sand and the pool deck is a relaxing fun place to be. Maybe we will do a ten year anniversary weekend this summer!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

My wife and I are avid beach goers and we only stay at beach resorts around the world.We are frequent visitors of the hamptons and I must say we were very impressed with the westhampton bath and tennis hotel. Mind you, it is not a ritz carlton nor a four seasons but it is one of the best properties in the hamptons. It is located on dune rd. on the most beautiful stretch of beach you can imagine.The facility has everything a first class hotel has to offer. Tennis courts,restaurants inside the hotel and out by the pool, a beauty salon, day spa, gym with a personal trainor and views that are absolutely breathtaking! Our first stay was by the tennis courts which was adequate but the rooms are quite small. We then came back July 4th weekend and stayed facing the marina in room 901.The hotel staff calls it the princess suite! It was more beautiful than any ritz carlton or four seasons we have ever visited! Needless to say, we will definetly make reservations for next season and maybe this time we will bring our kids.There is so much for them to do here so we wont be rushed to go home! My compliments to the staff. They were nice upon our first arrival and extremely nice when we returned in July. They even remembered our name. We attended a party over the 4th outside under the tent which was complimentary. Wow! The last time we did that was at the westin maui in hawaii. We thought that was really cool! If you are looking for a casual place to spend a really great weekend then check out westhampton bath and tennis. You will be pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Tuxedo Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband and I spent a week at Bath and Tennis in room #304 and loved it. The room was spacious, well appointed, included both a king size bed and queen size Murphy bed, with an amazing newly renovated bathroom. Our room faced a huge heated pool circled by umbrellas and chaise lounges. Access to the beach through the dunes was an amazing site. The pristine beach was as beautiful as any we've ever visited throughout our travels around the world. Lunch at Oceanblu included both delicious food and another outstanding view of the dunes and ocean. We are looking forward to going back to Bath and Tennis in the fall to visit some wineries, farm stands, enjoy more delicious seafood and of course walk the beautiful beach again .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast
Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 5 in Westhampton Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 303 reviews

Been to The Ocean Resort at Bath & Tennis? Share your experiences!