“Worse hotel experience. Horrible management. We had to call the police.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Westbury

Special Offer
Bed N' Breakfast Deal!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Westbury
South America
“Worse hotel experience. Horrible management. We had to call the police.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I am an American professional woman living in Brazil. I have stayed at the Hilton chain various times in the past at various locations around the world. My partner and I traveled from Brazil and were in the Westbury Hilton for 2 nights for the sole purpose of his sitting a professional exam that took place at the Prometric Testing Center a block away from the hotel. Because this exam started very early and finished at 3:30pm, I asked if we could have a late check-out until 4pm. This was not granted-we received a late check-out until 2pm so I did all the packing for my partner as he was in his exam all day. I did not realize that he had placed our travel money ($2,000 in cash) in a plastic holder along with his plane ticket in the bedside table and I, unknowingly, left these items in the room when I checked out at 2pm. We had a flight out of LGA at 7:30 pm that evening and his ticket indicated this.

At 2pm I asked for all our bags to be placed with the concierge (storage closet) as we were not scheduled to leave the area until 5pm for our flight. I then left the premises to go shopping. Upon completion of my partner's exam, we realized that the money had been left in the room. We immediately and frantically called and asked that the inside of the bedside table be checked while we made our way back to the hotel. At this point, I spoke to the Front Desk Manager, Ms. X, on the phone and she had someone check the room. She informed me that there was nothing in the bedside table and that NOTHING had been found by housekeeping. We frantically made our way back to the hotel to try to find out what had happened to these valuables and to collect our stored baggage. Ms. X's manner and attitude towards us when we arrived was extremely blunt and unhelpful. We demanded that housekeeping be contacted so that they could be questioned over the lost items. Instead of understanding our desire to retrieve the items before our international flight to Brazil, Ms. X seemed to interpret our anxiety as an indictment of her housekeeping staff although we never accused them of anything. We were more than happy to hope that they had placed the items in the trash or had recognized them as valuables and put them with lost and found. Ms. X said that our ONLY option was to fill out a form for the general manager and then it would have to be addressed with him/her and we would have to await a response (this would take days as he/she was not on site.) With the clock ticking down to our flight to Brazil, we meticulously went through all our baggage to ensure that the items had indeed not been packed. As we were not offered an area to do this, we went to the end of the hallway, away from the reception area, to do so. At one point, Ms. X complained that we were doing this in the hallway when she had other guests coming in. I reminded her that we had also been paying guests for 2 nights. I asked her if she could offer us a room or conference area in which to further check our luggage and she replied that nothing was available for us. (At one point, our limousine driver arrived and asked where we were as we frantically went through our bags, and she replied, "Why don't you go find them yourself-they're down the hall!") We continued searching and determined that our valuables had definitely NOT been packed. Ms. X suggested that our items may have been thrown in the garbage by the cleaning staff and we were 'free' to go through the dumpster. She pointed out the dumpster to me --about 10-20 metres from the hotel in the cold and the dark--and told me I could go search through it. I was shocked to be going through the Hilton Westbury’s dumpster trash without the offer of ANY assistance or even a flashlight, but we were DESPERATE to find our money and catch our flight. After 2 attempts in these conditions, I amazingly found our room’s trashbag! In the trashbag, we found ALL the items from our room that had been discarded, including the magazines that I had purchased that had been left ON TOP of the bedside table in which we had left the money. Unfortunately, our money and the plane tickets were not in the bag. At this point, our cab/limo had been waiting for 20 minutes and we were in danger of missing our flight. We informed Ms. X that our trashbag had been found and yet she still seemed unmotivated to make our search a priority. (although she got very angry when we tried to bring the plastic trashbag inside so we had to keep our only 'evidence' outside the backdoor in an area we found.) As my only option, and knowing that we might miss our flights if we waited, I decided to call the Westbury Police and asked them to urgently arrive to the Hilton Westbury so that I could file a report as we could only assume at this point that the items had been stolen and we were not receiving ANY assistance to help us determine otherwise. I asked Ms. X for the number of the police. I received this from her after she again shoved the general manager report in our faces to be filled out. Instead of offering to dial the police for me, I had to make an international call using my Brazilian cell phone to call the LOCAL police. My partner filled out the report as I rang the police and I immediately sensed a lot more movement at the front desk. I could tell that Ms. X was now anxious and was making phone calls. The police arrived very quickly and as the police officer stood in reception amidst new arriving guests, I began to explain our dilemma. He agreed that a report should be filed and that they would have to investigate. Amazingly, WITHIN 2-3 MINUTES of the police arriving at the hotel, Ms. X suddenly rushed over to us with the money and the plane tickets. Her explanation was that these items had been in a housekeeping trash bag on the 4th floor that had yet to be taken out to the dumpster and that was the reason they had not been included in the other trash. Overjoyed and still in shock from the whole situation, we rushed out the door with our bags and valuables as we were about to miss our flight.

On retrospect, although we are happy to have our valuables and I realize that I had accidentally left them in the room, I know that the ONLY reason I have them is that I made the decision to call the Westbury Police which made front desk manager, Ms. X take our situation seriously. After over an hour of searching on our own with NO assistance, it seems that the appearance of the Westbury Police motivated the staff at this hotel to assist us in our search. Another matter that is bothering us is that my partner forgot to mention that he was missing his plane ticket (we were focused on the cash). It was indeed the 2nd item in the bedside table but we did not ask anyone to look for this. It does seem strange to us that the ONLY items in the bedside table (including one that had not been reported missing) seemed to be so easy to retrieve from a DIFFERENT trashbag upon the arrival of Law Enforcement at this hotel.

We were shocked by our treatment in every respect by this major International hotel chain. We averted a major crisis by continuing our search at the risk of missing our international flights while being repeatedly 'discouraged' and rudely treated by Ms. X. I filed a complaint with Hilton International but only received a ‘condolence’ type response from a person at the hotel. Although this incident occurred in 2007, I felt compelled to report this event on tripadvisor as it is by far the worse experience I have had at ANY establishment that provides accommodation. This is significant as I have lived abroad for many years and traveled to 4 continents. I would not advise ANYONE to stay here and we, of course, will never be staying with any Hilton establishment ever again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

I always seek hotels that are either fairly new or at least rennovated within the last few years. This is your average Hilton Garden Inn which makes me sound like it's rather plain but it's really more of it keeps with the standard. If you like Hilton Garden Inn's, you'll like this one. It's nice too, because it's near a mall that you could actually walk to as well as some decent restaurants. Room service was from an outside restaurant and didn't use so can't comment. It is near the Westbury train station (LIRR) - about a mile and depending on traffic you can get there in a flash. If you don't mind about a six block walk, can also get there by foot.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

The desk staff can be a hit or miss. the management is poor but most of the staff tries very hard. the breakfast staff sucks and are not very attentive. however location is convenient.

Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

Overall: A good hotel in every aspect except the walls are pretty thin so noise is a potential issue. Recommended.

Location: A nice area of Long Island, you can literally walk to the nearby mall in 5 minutes. Quiet and safe area as well.

Room: Good quality room with comfortable beds. The walls are very thin though as I could hear the alarm of my next door neighbor going off.

Service: Smooth and efficient with no issues. My colleague came to pick us up in the morning and was offered by the hotel staff to enjoy the buffet breakfast for free even though he wasn't a guest.

Breakfast: Hot breakfast included with lots of selection.

Value: Prepaid rate (Friday night) was $139 which is rather decent for Long Island.

• Liked — Nice rooms, good service and location
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Long Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

My wife and I tried booking this hotel for our wedding guests. We spoke with the sales manager almost a year before to arrange for a block of rooms. We were told the most we could hold were 15 rooms, but any more and we would be responsible for 50% of the daily rate charge. We were concerned about this being enough because we had alot of guests coming from out of town, but we agreed to the terms since we did not want to have to pay any extra.
Bear in mind, it took several attempts to even get a hold of the sales manager when we first booked. It seemed e-mail was the only way to get in touch with her unless you had to sign paperwork.
Well, three months before the wedding, we find out that the hotel is booked solid for our weekend, with the exception of the 15 rooms we blocked. Again, after countless attempts to reach the sales manager, she assured us there would be rooms available should we use up the original 15. To be on the safe side, we started calling other nearby hotels for extra rooms, some of which were part of the Hilton hotel chain. These other Hilton hotels verified that the HGI in Westbury had no other rooms available. We couldn't take the chance, so we cancelled the agreement and went looking for another hotel.
The reason I still give them a 2 instead of a 1 is that the hotel would definitely suit the needs of people looking for a place to stay on Long Island that is near a major commercial (shopping) area and transportation (parkways, train stations, etc.). But for anyone looking to book a block of rooms, buyer beware.

• Stayed October 2008
Nassau County, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

I used the hotel for my family reunion. It was WONDERFUL. The staff is great and very accomodating. The rooms are comfortable with sleep system beds. There is a bar in the lobby for those who imbibe alcohol and a breakfast buffet available. The wait staff was personable and went out of their way to be helpful. All of the managers and front desk staff were courteous and helpful. We used the meeting room and they set up everything as directed. Nadine Cardaio, the group sales rep is the best. I would advise any one to use this hotel.

• Liked — The close location to all area shopping
  • Disliked — There was nothing that I did not like
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

Don't take this as a bad review. I travel a lot so I have spent my share of time in nice places and terrible places (Trip Advisor has helped me minimize the bad places).

The hotel is okay. Rooms are clean. Lobby is nice. Free breakfast. Nice staff. Two free waters in your room. Your room is a two room suite with a "living" room and a bedroom. In between the two is a console with a coffee maker and fridge. In the living room is a couch, chair, TV, and a business desk.

The hotel has free wireless and wired Internet.

The room, as noted, is clean but average. Not a lot of pictures on the wall. The carpet is basic. The couch and chairs are basic. The bathroom was clean, but basic (as in, the shower stall is plastic, tile is plain, etc.)

The bed was comfortable with plenty of closet space and an ironing board/iron.

The Marriott properties are a bit more upscale. But nonetheless, I had no problems. It was quiet and I slept well.

The location is great. Near restaurants and a full sized mall. Very easy access in and out. Free parking.

So, I would recommend this hotel. You won't be wowed, but there are no problems either.

• Liked — Clean rooms, friendly staff, easy access to stores/restaurants
  • Disliked — Nothing - pretty good hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Westbury? Share your experiences!