“Would have given it a better review, if not for the billing errors!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Plus+ Long Island

You added Red Roof Plus+ Long Island to your Saves list
Red Roof Plus+ Long Island
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   699 Dibblee Drive, Meadowbrook Parkway at Zeckendorf Boulevard, Exit M2-E, Westbury, NY 11590   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Westbury
Buffalo
“Would have given it a better review, if not for the billing errors!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

The title says it all, this hotel wasn't bad at all for a one night stay last weekend, but I had some billing errors upon returning home, which just today got resolved after 6 days and e-mails back and forth between myself and the hotel's general manager. I'll tell more on that later in the review.

I was in Westbury for only one night, to meet a couple friends, and to see a show at the NYCB Theatre. I usually stay in Manhattan, but since this was a very quick trip, and my friends were at the same hotel, and it was close to the venue, I chose to stay in Westbury. I had the Hilton Garden Inn booked, but cancelled it and decided to stay at the Red Roof Inn. The price was good, I got a discount rate, so that was good, I wouldn't pay full rack rate for this place. After reading some of the reviews, I was pleasantly surprised to find the room I did when I opened my door. I was in a king bed room, room 519. It was a good size room, that must have been remodeled, as it didn't look like the website pictures. It had the bed, a nice wood (wood like!) floor, flat screen TV, two nightstands, a chair and desk, another chair by the window, and a dresser. Yes, the sink was outside the bathroom and just kind of sat on the counter, but it wasn't bad, it was different. One of my friends had room 407, which was two double beds, and was the same amenity wise, except her TV wasn't a flat screen. They were supposed to bring up a safe and charge $1.50 for it, but they never brought one up, and I don't think I was ever charged. The front desk clerk mentioned this all at check in, and the charge would be removed at check out. It was no big deal. They do also only have one washcloth and one handtowel for the sink, the tub had one towel also, this was in the king bed room. The tissues are just one pocket size package, which I actually found humorous. I know their trying to cut costs, but in that way, I thought it was funny. The shampoo was actually Pantene, which surprised me. The room was clean, the bed was hard, which I don't really like but was so tired by the time I went to bed that night I didn't care. There was also a microwave and refrigerator in the room, which was nice. The only thing wrong with my room was I went to hang up my coat, and the hanger promptly broke (see picture). I just left the broken hanger on the floor.

Neither me or my friends had a car, so we relied on the cab service, which in Westbury, to put it simply, is just awful! I had heard stuff before I went. I took the LIRR from JFK to the Westbury station, you can also go to Carle Place, which is the same distance from the hotel, but as one cab driver told me, that is a more "lonely" stop, which it was. The Westbury station has a cab office located right across the street, All Seasons Taxi. I called them for the pickup from the station to the hotel, which was fine, so I thought they would be fine to take me and my friends to the show that night. I called at 5:00, and got a very rude dispatcher. He asked how many people, I said 3, he said what time to do you want us to come, I said whenever, he said "The doors don't open until 6:00, we'll pick you up at 5:45". OK, 5:50-5:55 comes, no cab, so the desk clerk calls and gets yelled at because the dispatcher thought it was me calling again! He told her he thought we went with another driver (??) and that they would be on there way, the desk clerk said it sounded like they had no intention of coming! The car service the hotel promotes, S&G Transportation, happened to be out front, as he had just taken other guests over to the theatre. He said he could drive us, and it was the same fare as what the cab would be. As we pulled out on to the street, the cab was pulling in! Oh well. The driver gave us his card, and said to call before leaving and schedule a pickup, or call when leaving. They advertised themselves as 24 hr service. The event ran later than thought, so we didn't leave until about 1:00 AM, so we didn't call ahead. I called S&G at 1:00, and the dispatcher said "We don't have any cars out there, you'll have to call a cab service". Don't advertise yourself as 24 hrs if you don't mean it! I then called All Seasons, as it was the only other number in my phone. I got the same rude dispatcher as before, and he must have thought I already called for a pickup, as he yelled at me and said "Young lady. we'll be there as soon as we can. The roads are slippery, and my guys are slipping and sliding". So we went outside to wait, and another cab company, Centro American, pulled up. The driver asked us if we called, we said no, but we asked him if he could take us to the Red Roof Inn, and he said yes, so we took them back. We probably took a cab someone else had called for! So don't use All Seasons, and if you use S&G, be sure to schedule a pickup ahead of time! The next morning, I am glad I gave myself time, as the front desk clerk had to call the cab twice, as their "few minutes" turned into about a half hour! He called Stuart's Taxi and not S&G, and the driver was very nice and friendly. He took me to the Carle Place stop, as the next train was sooner and the fare was the same. He said that way I wouldn't have to wait outside in the cold for a half hour at the Westbury station. The Airtrain at JFK to the LIRR is the best way to get to Westbury, BTW, cheapest also. The car services will charge you about $60, and my one friend came from Laguardia in a yellow NYC cab after a company called All Islands Transportation gave her the screw in and didn't show up for a scheduled pickup. The yellow cab cost $70 from Laguardia, so don't take them either! She and my other friend took S&G back, to Laguardia and JFK, respectively.

The hotel isn't close to anything if you don't have a car, unless you're looking for hardware, there's a Lowe's directly across the street. You could probably walk to the Target or a couple restaurants in nicer weather, but otherwise, nothing is within walking distance. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant, there's places that will deliver to the hotel though, my friend got a pizza delivered. The hotel is also still undergoing renovations in the lobby and first floor, so as of 1-21-12, there was no sitting area in the lobby. The lobby vending machines also didn't work, as they were taken out of the vending room and put in the lobby temporarily while the room was remodeled. It would have been nice if they plugged them in in the lobby! The vending machines on the floors take credit cards, but be aware, they'll charge you $1 more!

The hotel employees I encountered were nice, especially Wanda at the front desk who checked me in, and was the one who was there when we were trying to get to the theatre. Andrew who checked me out was friendly as well.

I am glad I decided to check my credit card statement online, as otherwise I wouldn't have seen the above mentioned billing errors. I saw my statement and saw I had two pending room charges! One for the correct amount, and one for slightly higher! I e-mailed the hotel and Gwendolyn the manager e-mailed me back and forth until it was resolved. I told her, and within about two days, the incorrect pending charge was removed. Why it was there, I don't know. She e-mailed me a copy of their final copy of my bill, which showed this charge and the correct one, but with the higher charge removed. My final copy (which I e-mailed her) didn't even list the higher charge, my copy was correct! She offered no explanation to this other charge, or why we each had different final copies of my bill! That charge got removed, and I thought it all was resolved. I was wrong! For the next 4 days, there was the correct charge that had gone through, and then now a second pending charge of the correct amount! I e-mailed again and she just wasn't understanding me at all! I even e-mailed her a printout of my statement from my credit card's website, and she still didn't get it! She e-mailed me a copy of "their" version of my final bill again and said there should be no pending charges. I just e-mailed proof that there was! I must have finally gotten through to her after I e-mailed the pending charge portion of the statement clear as day to her, as finally, this morning, 6 days after I checked out, it was removed and my statement read correctly! So be sure to watch your statements closely with this hotel, and save them to compare with your credit card company! One of my other friends never had her safe charge taken off! This whole issue put me off from staying at this hotel again, and from giving it a better review here. It was an issue that was never even explained to me on why it ever happened at all--when it never should have! I am just glad it finally worked out and I didn't have to have a dispute with the credit card company!

Overall, I wouldn't return to this hotel because of the billing problems. I don't plan on being in Westbury again, but IF I were to, I'd spend more and go to the Hilton Garden Inn next time. I also won't return to Westbury as like other places on Long Island, it's just too hard getting around if you don't have a car, because the cab service is awful and too unreliable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Rochester,New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed here in April 2011, The price of the hotel was one of the cheapest you will find in the area. When I checked in there were no bath towels, hand towels or even a wash cloth. Went to the front desk and they explained that they had run out and when they had some they would bring them to my room. The next morning I still had no towels and went to the front desk and was offered bath mats!! Because they still did not have towels. The beds are horrible, the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. Pillows were pitiful. The phone in my room did not work, I spoke to the front desk and was told that it would be fixed, it never was. Rooms are dingy and out dated. I left a customer review on the hotels web site and never heard back. I will pay more for a nicer hotel when I return to the area again this spring.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Westbury hotels

Long Island, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We understood it would be a "budget" type hotel. We were in town for Christmas and we only needed basic accomodations for two nights. However, this hotel has elevated "cheap" to a whole new level, actually it is almost comical. On the plus side, it is clean and the bed is comfortable. That ends the plus side. On the negative side, to save money, they eliminated: a towel rack near sink, facial tissues, extra toilet paper, normal sized towels, shampoo, a normal blanket, area rugs, standard cotton weight sheets or anything that would cost money. To be honest, the staff was courteous and we slept comfortably. They allow pets in the hotel, but they must be on another floor so that was not an issue. However, spend another $20 a night and go to one of many other hotels in the area or bring your own kleenex, toilet paper, blanket, shampoo, etc.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Having relatives in Westbury we need a place to stay several times a year and so far this has fit the bill nicely. if you book ahead we have found that it's at least 50$ a night less expensive than the higher end hotels in the area. The staff has always been courteous, the room clean, and it has generally been very quiet. Having a microwave and a refrigerator is also a big plus for us and the free internet is always put to good use.
As someone else mentioned they are undergoing renovations but during our stays it has not impacted the availability of parking nor has it been noisy. We stayed in one of the renovated rooms last time and while I have no complaints, it is a bit unusual. Part of the floor is no longer carpeted but is wood (or wood like I should say) but the really unusual feature is the sink. Instead of a sink which is recessed in the counter, it sits on top of the counter. Functionally, it didn't bother me (although if you were short it might) but it was just disconcerting to see a sink plunked on top like that.
They do allow pets. This isn't something I need and so far has not been a negative when we've stayed but I do have concerns about barking dogs and about the cleanliness of rooms where animals may have soiled the floor. But so far all has been well.
I gave a rating of 4 stars as I feel that while it is definitely not a luxury hotel, it is a good economical place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

It is just a step up from a motel, super expensive for what it is and there is absolutely no reason to ever stay here (for this price) unless you must.

There are much better options. Unless you've got to be in Westbury for some reason, look someplace else.

• Stayed September 2011
Charleroi, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Spent two nights in this hotel for business with my pet. The staff was overly friendly in a great way! The hotel is being renovated, but i never noticed! It was so peaceful and quiet! Had a handicapped wheelchair accessible room, was happy to see it on the first level! The showers were truly handicap accessible and wonderful. If you like firm pillows, you'll love it! Bed was comfy, next time I'll bring my own pillow tho. Overall, great, friendly, attentive staff! The best part was it was so clean and smelled great!

• Stayed December 2011
Sebastian, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We stayed at this property before and after a cruise for a total of 5 nights. When I booked, I requested a room with firm bedding as I had a back injury. When we checked in, I found the bed in our room wasn't firm enough. The manager overheard my conversation with the desk clerk and immediatley stepped in. She offered us an upgrade to a suite with firm bedding at no additioal charge for both our before and after cruise stays. The suite was very spacious with great bedding. Both rooms were immaculate as was the bathroom. We have stayed at this location twice before, and both times we had no complaints. While they don't offer a breakfast like most hotels now do, when you consider the low price of this property compared to others in the area, the lack of breakfast shouldn't be a big deal. There's so many good restaurants in the area that finding a quick, tasty breakfast is no isssue. The hotel is in a convenient location, the parking good, and the hotel staff is first rate. The room rates do change so check and be sure you're getting the lowest rate that is offered.

Room Tip: If you're staying for several days and can afford a higher rate, book a suite. It's well wor...