“Weekend at West Point” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Point
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Weekend at West Point”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

My immediate family, extended family and friends gathered at the Thayer Hotel for the Dedication of a room to a distinguished graduate. The floor containing the dedicated rooms is a trip thru history and a great pleasure to share, especially with young people. The rooms are tastefully and thoughtfully prepared and presented.
The staff is well-trained, thoughtful and welcoming.
The food was outstanding and more than ample.
What an inspiring place to settle in for a trip thru the history of West Point and all the attributes it has provided the young men and women who protect our country.
Highly recommended from one who has traveled the world in the past 7o plus years.

Room Tip: Corner rooms especially nice and the floor with dedicated rooms is wonderful especially for young pe...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

The last time I stayed at this hotel was more than 15 years ago, before I attended West Point as a cadet. At that time the hotel was run down and not really much different from the run down hotels outside the gate. In the last year, friends and classmates of mine have told me about the rennovations, so I decided to stay there on a recent visit to my alma mater. To say the hotel has turned around is an understatement. The hotel is in magnificient condition. The quality of the rooms and common areas are truly up to a 5 star standard. The service from check-in, to dining, to facilitating visits and excursions is probably the best I have had at least in the US. The fact that it has regained it's former glory AND is located on West Point (which is now more difficult to visit than when I was a cadet in the late 90s, makes the Thayer the only option for a quick excursion to the academy. The sunday brunch, a staple of the Academy, is better than I remember as a cadet. Kuddos to the management and staff, and I hope that the hotel joins the Small Luxury Hotels of the World in the near future. The quality of the facilities and service experience are truly a 5 star experience. Well done.

Room Tip: The hotel recently implemented a room dedication program. They have rooms dedicated to famous grads...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

A beautiful property on an incredibly scenic location. Incredibly view of the Hudson out our window.

Great service, courteous staff, food was exceptional, and we had a great Friday night at the bar. Room service the following night was prompt. Trying to think of something bad to say, but having trouble.

The $11 breakfast was a great deal.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Employees were incredibly helpful. We were stranded at the Thayer after my brother's wedding due to a hurricane. The entire staff were accommodating and very flexible. The rooms were nice size, restaurants lovely and overall the place was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Nice room, a bit small but still comfortable. Staff were friendly, grounds beautiful with amazing view of the river from wonderful rooftop bar. Breakfast is expensive but you can get deals on their website. We used the family deal with included breakfast for 4, and the tour of West Point, which was great. Kids loved exploring all the army memorabilia in the lobby.

Room Tip: As for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hyannis, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

From the time we arrived until we left,the hotel employees and front desk made us feel very welcome ...we enjoyed our meals and hospitality...
Its great to know you can still enjoy old time courtesy and helpfullness -
from a large and busy hotel like the Thayer-In West Point....
and the food and drinks were superb...and our room was great-
it's nice to be able to send you a Thank You..for a Job "Well Done"
Sincerely
Gene B.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We had our wedding reception at the Thayer Hotel, and I would recommend the place to anyone. The hotel has put a great deal of money into renovations, and it shows. The guest rooms are lovely, and the reception space is stunning. Some of the rooms are still undergoing renovations, but outside of those the hotel is amazing.
Everyone at the hotel went above and beyond to make sure our wedding was everything we wanted.
For the reception, we used the large ballroom, which gave us use of the outdoor patio and grassy area. This was great, especially when it got hot during the reception and people could get outside for some air. I note that the hotel materials say the ballroom can hold 240 - I would suggest, for a seated dinner, not to go near that number. We had approximately 170 people and I wouldn't have wanted more than a few above that to be comfortable, and as I mentioned, when everyone was up and dancing it did get warm in the room.
The appetizers were very well received, and dinner was even better than during our tasting. The food arrived hot - which isn't always a given for a large event, and was very tasty. If I had to find a negative, it was that the portions were huge! The wedding package comes with a cake from a local bakery, and it might be the best cake I've ever had.
I could not have been more pleased with my experience, and my wedding was everything I dreamed it would be. I am so glad the Thayer management has decided to renovate and update this beautiful and historic hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Thayer Hotel? Share your experiences!