“Service was Great” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
New Windsor, New York
“Service was Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I took my wife there for her Birthday and had a great dinner. The food was very good but the thing that made it special was the service. Our waitress Sandy was excellent she was attentive without being obtrusive. She was knowledgeable of the food and the history of the Thayer Hotel.

• Visited February 2014

Chester, New York
“Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Have been to brunch at the Thayer several times. Service is always attentive. Food selection on the buffet is quite the array. Love the banana foster waffles! Find the cost to be pricey, although they provide mimosas. Food is always warm and enjoyable.

• Visited January 2014
New York City, New York
“2nd Review of the Thayer Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Since my first experience with Brunch at the Hotel was great, I decided to take my extended family to Brunch on the weekend before Christmas. I assumed the Hotel would be beautifully decorated for the holidays. I was wrong.

At the entrance to the hotel, someone stuck pine bough branches (about 3) into 2 flower pots. There was a sad little 4 foot tree in the dining room and a larger prettier tree in the lobby near the fire place. A few more small decorations but that was about it. Nothing special. I expected more.

We booked the afternoon seating. Last time we had the first seating, which by the looks of it, was a much better idea. By the time we got there, the staff was haggard & unattentive. The food was just being replenished, there were no plates and the serving staff at the waffle station had a major attitude. What the..... You are serving waffles, did you think you would be doing something else?

It took about 5 attempts to even get a waitress to bring us water and drinks. We were seated first but other tables already had drinks and were at the buffet before the waitress even made an attempt to come to our table. It took another 3 attempts to remember to bring milk for one child. Really? Come on, I know you don't want to do this, but you are getting paid to wait on the table. At least try and do something once before I have to ask and second and third time.

Much like the first time, the food selection was great. The quality was fine. But, they started to run out of food and not replenish it. Again, the first seating seems to be the way to go. That didn't happen then.

By the end of the meal, the waitress finally figured out I was the one paying the bill and would be deciding her tip. I'm sure she also figured out I was not pleased by the service. She actually reduced the amount of the bill by charging the meals of the teenagers as students and not adults (probably hoping it would save her from getting a reduced tip).

And, the ladies room was filthy. The last time it was spotless. This time it was a disaster.

I think going to the Hotel Thayer for brunch is a nice idea. And if I was asked to go again, I probably would. I would however, NOT take a late seating. I would make sure we got the first seating of the day when the food is plentiful and the wait staff is still awake.

If you go to restaurant.com, you can purchase a $25 gift card for $10 and save $15 off your bill (the tip possibly).

• Visited December 2013
Baton
“Great service, super meal, and wonderful atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I am sorry that some may not have had the same experience that I had, but the meal was most enjoyable, our server polite, helpful, and always around. Our meal was fine.

Visited December 2013
Oradell, New Jersey
“Seafood and Sunday Brunch Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We spent the weekend at the Thayer Hotel as a gift from our kids. We started Friday night off with the Seafood Buffet which was wonderful. I love seafood and was in heaven with the choices. Normally I am a 2 plate girl at buffets but this time I went back for a 3rd plate. Everything fresh, tasty and plenty of it. Our waitress was constantly coming by asking us what she can do for us and the hostess Maria was wonderful and accomadating. We had the buffet breakfast the next morning which was very good too but nothing was as good as the Sunday Brunch. We didn't know where to start. It had everything from breakfast foods to dinner foods. I could barely walk out the door when I was done. The nicest thing was we were greeted with a big hug and a good morning by our hostess Maria. It was like visiting an old friend. Mimosas were flowing and I didn't want to leave. For me the restaruant made my weekend.

• Visited January 2014