“Very impressed but slightly disappointed” 4 of 5 stars

Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lochlibo Road, Barrhead G78 1LG, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barrhead
Guisborough, United Kingdom
“Very impressed but slightly disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

We booked here for three nights and on arrival were totally won over by how lovely the building is - ivy clad entrance and lovely gardens. The entrance hall and the lounge off it were beautiful. We found our room no problem - old fashioned and full of character - dark wood, thick red curtains and little lampshades over the wall lights :) It is a 'country house', after all.

We had our evening meal in the bistro - we have simple tastes and so the soup and scampi/haddock and chips suited us fine. The barman/waiter was lovely.
The breakfasts on our three mornings were the typical ingredients - juice, cereal, toast, cooked breakfast and coffee. It was very nice to be served the cooked breakfast rather than queue for the self-serve buffet as with so many hotels.

Just a couple of niggles but the first one is kind f excusable - the very creaky floorboards in the corridor outside the bedroom. It IS an old house and to be fair, if people didn't stamp down the corridor at midnight and later it wouldn't be so bad! LOL
The bed was a little too hard for my wife but that's all a matter of taste. It was OK for me.
What spoiled our first night (Tuesday), however, was the man in the next room who went to bed early at 9.30 and rose at 6.30. He was evidently a businessman and had an early start. The problem was that he woke me up at 6.30 just going around his room and that was after snoring extremely loudly for a whole hour the previous night from 9.30. The wall was so thin I could hear every single breath he took! Thankfully he only stayed that 1 night and the next person didn't have his problem - and neither did we!! I don't know what the hotel could do, but it was not good having to listen to loud snoring.

The wifi was terrible - it worked on our phones but not a laptop. The management did know about it and tried to help.

The staff were all very, very helpful and friendly and the extra noises aside, we had a lovely relaxed time and I'm sure we would return here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the far end of the corridor so other people don't walk past your door on th...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Hi, I booked into the Dalmeny Park on the 30th of July for a night before flying off to Vegas on the 31st for my Husbands 50th. This was right in the middle of the Commonwealth games and we wanted to avoid the maddening crowd and relax before rushing to the airport. Upon arrival first impressions were very good, lovely grounds and lovely old building which looked like a hidden treasure considering it was so near the motorway and Glasgow. We asked to be moved to another room with a bath if one was available and this was no issue to the guy at reception. The 'upgraded' room smelled musty and bit of toilet blocks but we opened the window and agreed that as we were not going to be there long we could suffer it, we then immediately went to the bar to start our holiday in style. The bar staff were lovely and very helpful and after a few drinks we decided to head to bed. This was about 12 midnight. The toilet in the room is separate from the actual bathroom so I headed off to run a bath while my Husband went to use the loo. On hearing his gasp's I followed him to find that the toilet seat that he had lifted up resembled silence of the lambs where some unfortunate guest before us had obviously had a heavy period (I hope, either that a murder had been committed in that room) and the house staff had not cleaned it - see photo's. I took a photo and went to reception where the night porter looked suitably disgusted and said I should talk to the duty Manager in the morning. I ended up having to use various balancing techniques to do a pee as there were no staff on the clean it and I was definitely not tackling it myself. Next morning the duty manager was not on shift and the receptionist was very helpful and again appalled that it had not been cleaned and took my number and my email address for the manager when he came on duty. I was told that if I was en-route to my holiday by the time he came in she would get him to email me for my return. Once in Vegas I did pick up a voice mail simply stating ' I apologise for your stay last night, please call me on your return'...eh...no! It's your responsibility to keep me happy not the other way round. No emails either and no follow up calls and I have been home for two weeks now.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Motherwell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Absolutely superb wedding venue, beautiful grounds for pictures and the staff were so welcoming and professional. We can't thank Richard and Bill enough for the fantastic service and advice throughout the day. Nothing was a bother for them and on the day Bill our MC made sure everything ran smoothly and took the pressure and stress from us so that we could relax and enjoy our daughter's wedding.
Our guests couldn't stop talking about how beautiful the room had been decorated and the staff had the room ready for the evening celebrations very quickly. Those who stayed in the hotel overnight were delighted with their rooms and the breakfast the next morning.
We can't praise this hotel highly enough as a fantastic wedding venue with dedicated and hard-working staff. Richard, Bill et al, thank you so much. John and Angela

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My daughter Stephanie and new son in law John had their dream wedding at the Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel on 12th July 2014 with the ceremony and the reception held within the hotel. Everything was perfect and all the staff could not have been more helpful in making this a really special day for them. From morning to night, everyone at the Dalmeny Park worked so hard to ensure our day was perfect. The room where we had the ceremony and the reception room were both stunning and beautifully decorated. The Grounds & Gardens are very well maintained and was perfect for photographs and our guests as they mingled and enjoyed the beautiful surroundings. The honeymoon suite was lovely and all the rooms our wedding party had booked were of a very high standard. We received many compliments from our guests regarding their excellent accommodation and tasty breakfast.
The whole day had a lovely relaxed atmosphere and all our guests felt totally at ease and really enjoyed their experience. All our guests are still very highly appreciative and are still commenting on their wonderful experience at the hotel, the welcome and service they received from all staff, the delicious food that was served and genuinely expressed how magical the venue was for Stephanie and John’s wedding day.
A very special big thank you to Richard our Wedding Co-Ordinator and Bill our Master of Ceremony on the wedding day. Nothing was too much trouble for them before, during and after the wedding. They both were approachable, friendly and professional at all times ensuring that the day was a fairytale day to remember. They are great advert for the hotel.
I would very highly recommend The Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel for a magical fairytale wedding venue.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Stayed for the Commonwealth Games. Honestly thought that the £250 a night B & B we paid was the inevitable racking up of Glasgow Hotel rates, but could not believe this is the price they actually charge normally. It's comfy enough room, but overstuffed with furniture, one of the sockets didn't work, the toilet flush is bizarre and only worked if you have 5 minutes to spend leaning on it, the extractor fan needs defluffing. Remember what they are charging for this. The breakfast was distinctly average - had better in a Premier Inn - scrambled egg was cold and rubbery, iffy coffee, poor choice of cereals and fruit, plastic pots of jam and marmalade such as you get in a cheap B & B. In the bistro if you fancy a nice pint of local ale to wash down your dinner, forget it - you'll have to put up with ice cold John Smith's such is the care they take to source local food and drink. Remember what they are charging for this kind of quality. For the same money you can stay at the St James's Club and Hotel in London. This hotel obviously makes its money from weddings and functions - just leave them to it, don't encourage them by staying here, go to a Travelodge or Premier Inn and spend the change on a good meal out.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Outstanding room, couldn't ask for more. Had two fluffy bathrobes , fruit basket and chocolates. However the toilet flash didn't work properly. Couldn't turn the the temperature down on the down on the shower. Went down for breakfast and sat by the window and found about a dozen or so dead flies on the window ledge.

That's such a shame as these small things really let you down because charging £135 a night I did expect more.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I had our wedding here in June 2013. We had an excellent day as did all our family and friends. The food was lovely and all the staff were extremely helpful and very polite; they could not do enough for us. Our honeymoon suite was lovely and all the rooms our wedding party had were of a high standard. We received many compliments from our guests regarding the hotel. We returned for our 1st anniversary and again the food was lovely and the service from the staff was excellent. We would like to thank Richard, Bill and all the staff for everything they did for us, we would highly recommend this hotel .

Jennifer & Michael

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!