“Ultimate getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 970 Lonely Bay

You added 970 Lonely Bay to your Saves list
970 Lonely Bay
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   970 Purangi Rd | RD1, Cooks Beach, Whitianga 3591, New Zealand   |
Christchurch
“Ultimate getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

From the moment we pulled up we were treated like long lost friends. A very warm and welcoming environment in a lodge complete with the cosy fire places (for cooler nights), and wonderful outdoor living for the warm balmy weather. Even an outdoor bath! Luxury and privacy guaranteed. A night out at a great restaurant only a very short car and ferry journey away completed our weekend of bliss.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Woodbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

I had the good fortune to stay at 970 while touring in the Cormandel. This Lodge was recommended to us by our private guide as we were looking for an upscale venue where my adult family could enjoy quiet time together away from the touristy areas. This location was perfect in all regards inclusive of our rooms, the property, the beaches and the proximity to restaurants, wineries and thermal spas. Quickly upon arrival, you are made to feel so comfortable that you feel like you are visiting with good friends.
The furnishings are of a high quality and are an elegant mix between new and antique. Our two rooms were decorated beautifully and there were even russian tea cakes placed in our rooms to enjoy. The furnishings in the bathrooms were of the highest quality. The decks off of each of our rooms provided private outdoor space with wonderful views. The cheeses and dips upon arrival, and the home made banana cake after dinner, were enjoyed by my entire family. Breakfast was delicious and there were many choices including homemade granola and free range eggs cooked any way we liked. The lounges, dining room, other sitting rooms, and outdoor terraces provided many private spaces to enjoy simply relaxing, watching television, or just the surfing the internet.
The Lodge sits on a wonderfully maintained piece of property- the plantings and views are just beautiful. To add to the attractiveness, a beautiful and secluded beach is just a 4 minute walk through an adjoining Estuary. We walked the beach at 8 AM, armed with a cup of coffee before breakfast, and then we returned again after breakfast to appreciate the views.
The manager of 970, Loring, is a wonderful host. She is charming, helpful and a pleasure to be around. She helped us with dinner suggestions, and she personally walked with us to navigate a trail to get to another amazing cove and beach. The views were spectacular.
The Lodge is worthy of a photo spread in Architectural Digest. The furnishings are of the highest quality. Being a New Yorker, this Lodge could certainly be mistaken for a large beach front home in the Hamptons.
We booked two of the rooms for only one night. Let me just say that the only mistake that I made was not to have planned to have stayed here a few days longer. My guide told me that the Coromandel is a hidden gem, not frequented by tourists, yet just a couple of hours from Auckland. He was spot on.
I believe that the only reason why I was able to book two rooms was that the Lodge recently opened. Next year mark my word and plan on booking well in advance to enjoy this gem. Feel free to email me with any questions. I've attached some pictures that we took, but check out their website for pics of the bedrooms.

• Stayed April 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed at 970 Lonely bay on the night of our wedding on the 5th of March 11, the morning of our wedding I got ready at this amazing lodge with my bridesmaids, Lorring was wonderful and had made some delicious muffins and scones for our morning tea, she was such a pleasure and made our stay so enjoyable, the night of our wedding we came home to lovely rose petals over our bed & another delicious breaky the next day! The lodge is such a beautiful place and I highly recommend to stay here for any occasion, fabulous setting for weddings and wedding pics! Thank you Lorring and Jane, we loved every minute of it!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

My Husband and I were lucky enough to have our wedding at '970' on 18/02/11.
The ceremony was at the northern end of the beach which is a 2 min walk to the reception at '970'. The weather was amazing that goodness! The guests raved about the beauty of this property as soon as the arrived. Photos do not do it justice believe me. The gorgeous landscaping, the outdoor bath, the outdoor gas fire on the second floor deck, the decor inside, bathrooms elegantly detailed..... just amazing. Loring, the Manager of 970 went out of her way to help with every last detail - even things we hadn't thought of!
The close proximity to the beach and to the ferry to get to Whitianga make this place one of the most sought after for celebrations like ours.
Our Wedding party of 3 bridesmaids and 3 groomsmen all stayed in the lavish rooms and then my gorgeous Husband and I stayed the second night by ourselves.
We all had a brunch at My Mum and Dads b&b the next day and the most common comment for the wedding it was 10/10.
I would recommend this beautiful venue to anyone and everyone 10 out of 10!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

We spent New Years at this wonderful property which is new to the market. It is a very well designed house with plenty of interesting spaces, great views and a really relaxed atmosphere. Cooks Beach is directly in front and is great but the five minute walk to Lonely Bay beach is well worth it.
The property is clean, bright and a priviledge to stay in. Loring, the manager, is incredibly helpful and gave us all the local advice we needed. She also prepared amazing breakfasts for us which included her mother's secret musili recipe. Our only regret was not arranging for them to cook us dinner which should be eaten on the top deck with the view out to sea - our reason to return next year.
This property has all the ingredients to be a great success and will probably end up with a waiting list of people wanting to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to 970 Lonely Bay? Share your experiences!