“Fabulous bush retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 38 Whitianga B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Fabulous bush retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

My husband and I are just back from a fabulous weekend on the Coromandel Peninsula celebrating my b'day. My hubby booked us a 'King Snug Room' at Wairua Lodge after reading all the great reviews on TripAdvisor, and WOW, what a find! Wairua truly lives up to all the previous, excellent reviews.
The lodge is well located approx 12-15 mins drive from Whitianga and is a real bush retreat. Our small hire car had no trouble handling the gravel road & river crossing - even after a big storm this weekend!
The hosts, Tam and Charles, are very friendly and helpful, whilst allowing guests space to enjoy themselves. We had a guided tour with Tam upon arrival and settled into our spacious, well-furnished room (w/ cosy electric fireplace!). We enjoyed an hour in the 'Treetops Bathhouse' - an ABSOLUTE must. We've never experienced anything quite like it in all our worldwide travels. Private bath, bottle of wine, candles, relaxing music, all in amongst the trees of the forest with the river below. Check out the pic on the website!
There are some gorgeous walks and swimming holes on the property - what a treat it would be to return in summer.
We picked up some food from the supermarket in Whitianga (TIP: pick up food enroute to Wairua for an even more relaxing retreat) and cooked dinner in the conservatory kitchen - well - equipped & a thoughtful touch to allow guests to use this.
A basic, continental brekky was included and delivered in the evening and we popped it in the fridge in our room for brekky in bed this morning!
In summary, an EXCELLENT, well-priced B&B which is very well deserving of its #1 spot on TripAdvisor ... we hope to return in the warmer months! Thanks for a great stay, Tam and Charles!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Perth Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We can echo the previous positive reviews on this delightful little piece of paradise hidden in the beautiful forest of Coromandel in New Zealand's North Island.
The rooms were well appointed with quality linen, robes to use when visiting the romatic waterfall spa and other extras. An adequate continental breakfast was delivered to the room the evening before - well presented. The gardens were superb - only wished we had visited in summer as the river valley with its swimming hole surrounded by the magnificent ferns and trees beckoned.
You abslutely MUST try the semi-indoor naturally spring fed spa - surrounded by flickering candles and overlooking the lush illuminated forest and the valley below. The hosts are charming, helpful and friendly without being intrusive or too chatty. A highly recommended property in the forest but not too far from the local town for dinners.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

On the 27th August 2010 while visiting Whitianga for the Annual Scallop Festival, my wife and I chose to stay at the Wairua Lodge situated some 12 kms out of Whitianga and the "hustle and bustle" associated with an event of this nature. There is only one word I will use to describe the Lodge and the experience of staying in this place. UNIQUE.
From the winding metal road with its river crossings to the interior of our warm cabin, built completely from New Zealand Macrocarpa timber, with its characteristic perfume to the bath perched on the side of a hill and fully exposed to the natural bush, pigeons and possums. This is an experience we have never had anywhere in all our world travels.
At night the absolute darkness and quiet coupled with kingsize comfortable beds make for a peaceful nights rest.
All of the above is complimented by two wonderful hosts, Charlie and Tam. They are a bright bubbly couple and nothing is a problem to them. Pick up and delivery from the Auckland/Coromandel ferry, drop off and pick up into Whitianga, breakfast included and a welcoming bottle of wine, make this a truly unique experience.
Wairua Lodge - Top Marks.

Yours gratefully for a wonderful weekend.
Ross and Loraine Fuller. Dolphin Aqualisers Ltd

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I wished we could have stayed longer. It would be the ideal weekend away from Auckland to simply relax and enjoy nature. As it was, we arrived later than we hoped and didn't have time to take advantage of the walking trails and swimming hole at the lodge. The rooms are lovely and have their own sitting areas - indoors and out. We grabbed the torch from our room and made our way out to the lounge chairs to enjoy some star gazing at night. The next morning we took our breakfast tray outside to take advantage of the setting and serenity of the place. Our little rental car managed the unsealed roads and the "river" crossing necessary to get to the lodge, and it was all so worth it. The hosts really know how to make guests' stays special.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dufftown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

Mid January we stayed for 4 nights in Wairua Lodge in the hidden valley of Coromandel. About a mile off Road 309 the Hidden Valley is perfect for "being away from it all". The lodge and the 5 snug-room's setting in lush forests with streams on both sides give’s you the feeling of being one-with-nature. Our hosts Tam and Charles were very friendly and helpful with information and setting us up in our king-snug room. Breakfast was supplied every evening so that we could stay in our room to our liking in the morning. The two swimming holes in the river, some 50 metres below the terrace were ideal for plunging and there were also hammocks and relaxing chairs.
We used the outside spa but the tree bathroom was out of this world. In candle light with a bottle of wine relaxing in hot water and listening to soft dreamy music looking out to a stream 30 metres below was very, very romantic. We strongly recommend this lodge to everyone who loves nature. Thank you very much Tam & Charles !

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Rotorua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

Wairua lodge is an amazingly stunning place....we arrived to the loge two hours behind "schedual" and it was one of the most amazing places I have ever witnessed. Driving up to the lodge itself at night left me in awe of what I was expecting to see....it was better then what I imagined and I made a point to tell my man that as we arrived...lol ;O)

Charles came out to greet us as we parked up followed by Tam close behind. Both of them were extremely kind and were sporting welcoming smiles that made my man & I feel instantly at ease.

Charles showed us around straight away as we had arrived at night and he wanted us to settle in (and so did we) while Tam got our breaky (which is well sufficient!) for the next moring to us so that we could eat when WE wanted to and so that they had no need to wake us to hand it to us in the morning. He pointed out all the swimming holes, the spa bath (which was utilsed as soon as the tour was over!..lol) and the tree house bath tub, which was sucha highlight for me let me tell yah! and then took us to our room. We had booked a queen room.......but were UPGRADED to a King!...YEEEEEYAH! which was much more devine. Our queen room was awesome....but our King room was amazingly better and when I go back, I'm booking the King room if not the River lodge so that I can have my family come with us. He showed us the conservatory kitchen (which is so0o0o comfy) and then the range of DVD's on offer to watch as there is no internet and phone lines in the room. You can use the Main Houses phone if need be...but that is one of the selling points for me.....no outside world!. I organised this as acongrats to my man for his promotion at work and he is NOT easily pleased??!!?? so to have him tell me "I dont really wanna leave" almost bought me to tears! and thats saying alot for him.

We stayed two nights and I wished I hada booked three! at least! and on departure, Tam & Charles were more then happy to advise us of the best way to go about our day considering we were working with incoming tides and such at Hotwater beach adn Cathedral Cove which are inspiring places to see.

I would highly recommend Wairua Lodge to ANYONE who asks me about ANTHING!!LOL!!...and to be perfectly honest...I can not wait to go back soon.

Thanks Tam and Charles, it was a pleasure being in the company of two kind, considerate and welcoming host. See you soon :O)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

we used to live in kenya and this is the nearest we have found outside east africa that resembles an upmarket safari lodge. no lions but just such a relaxing environment, with such wonderful hosts. Can't praise it enough. Book the bath as it is a one off experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Wairua Lodge - The Hidden River Valley? Share your experiences!