What a truly horrible property! I don't even know where to begin... We were forced into a three nights minimum stay, fully prepaid and 420 Dollars a night for a one bedroom apartment. For this price (maybe unless it was right in the center of, let's say, Manhattan or Tokyo), a property must be pretty exceptional to not make you feel like getting ripped off and to cut things short: It was everything but!
For starters, they call themselves "Luxury accommodation" and then don't service the rooms. That alone is a reason to steer away in my eyes: 420 Dollars a night and then you have to clean your room? They also don't provide fresh towels or amenities during your stay which is particularly nasty as there are biting ants everywhere and you have no choice but drying your towels outside. But it goes on...
The property is called "Beach Resort" but unfortunately, all you can see is a big parking lot (please refer to my pictures attached) and a road surrounding the property. The beach itself is hidden behind a big sand dune but only a short walk. As most of the coast in the area seems to be cliffs rather than beach, the tiny strip of beach within walking distance of the property is full with families, screaming children, wild dogs and -again- those pesky ants. Everywhere. We stayed for 10 minutes and then moved back to the Smiths, hoping to use the pool. But...
As many others here have written, the pool looks lovely but is completely unheated to save a few bucks. And this means it is absolutely freezing! I don't need the kind of overheated pools you often find in the US and am really not very picky when it comes to that but this pool was so freezing that it was made absolutely impossible to take a swim. It is also in the middle of the property which means that you get looked at by all your fellow guests who obviously stare at you knowing what a nut case one must be to jump into this freezing water!
The property itself... I couldn't stop thinking that the place was designed and built with the best intentions in mind but now ended up with some greedy owner who does anything to save some money and rip off some tourists. The entire place was modern and very spacious but nothing too special, rather a very cold but modern style. Unfortunately, it already started to show signs of age, there was mold and uncleaned bits around the bathroom (see pictures) and it only is a matter of time until things get worse. You hardly see any staff, the reception closes in the evening (very "luxury accommodation", I know!) and on the second day the latest it gets very annoying that you're supposed to clean up yourself. Did I mention it was 420 Dollars a night? Absolute insane and not worth it at all.
I can see a lot of positive reviews here and have addressed this with Tripadvisor separately. Maybe I am just picky, maybe most visitors simply don't have much travel experience which wouldn't surprise me in this far off area. But I am certain that any savvy traveler will be badly disappointed by this place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Smiths Beach Resort is a resort with a difference - a mix of private self-contained accommodation combined with first-class resort facilities.This is the quintessential Australian beach-side experience encompassing world class facilities and an assortment of food and beverage options operated by Lamont's, one of WA's premier food and wine families. These facilities include restaurant, bar, gourmet deli/cafe and bottleshop, and the only cellar door wine tasting facilities in a resort in the region.Smiths Beach Resort is unlike most resorts in that it offers guests the convenience of fully self-contained accommodation, all with private living areas and kitchen facilities, ideal for those who prefer the option to look after themselves, or these wonderful dining facilities for those who prefer to relax and make the most of being on holiday. As such, Smiths Beach Resort does not offer room service and rooms are are not cleaned daily however additional cleaning can be arranged for those who desire it.Rooms range from comfortable 4-star Beach Shacks for families, to beautiful and very spacious 5-star Apartments, Villas and Beach Houses.A Small Luxury Hotel of the World boarded by the spectacular Smiths Beach and the internationally acclaimed Margaret River Wine Region. The Beach Shacks are not part of the SLH program but guests do have access to all the resort facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Smiths Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Smiths Beach Hotel Yallingup
- Smiths Beach Resort Yallingup, Margaret River Region