“Corporate retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yallingup Forest Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Yallingup Forest Resort to your Saves list
Yallingup Forest Resort
Hemsley Rd (off Caves Rd) | PO Box 453, Yallingup, Western Australia 6281, Australia   |
Magnetic Island, Australia
“Corporate retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I recently organised a weekend corporate retreat with 22 guests staying in 6 chalets. All feedback I received was very positive with many people talking about a return to the resort with their families. The manager Pete, was extremely helpful, polite and friendly even when I was calling to alter our accommodation needs. The resort has wonderful facilities and the setting enabled us to get together as a large group without imposing on others staying at the resort. Thank you so much Pete for all your help and for making our stay very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

First of all, thank you to Alex and Matthias, my two new brothers-in-law who were kind enough to organise a week’s stay here as a wedding gift. Very highly appreciated guys!

Mind you I wasn’t that generous with my praise when I first read the reviews of the Yallingup Forest Retreat. Everyone seemed satisfied with the facilities but the owner sounded like some sort of child eating ogre.

Therefore, it was with some trepidation that my wife and I pulled up in front of the reception. Thankfully, in the first instance it was not the owner that was there to greet us but a friend/colleague who was unfailingly polite.

Without prompting he gave us a number of tourist maps and highlighted businesses and sites we may wish to visit. He also told us of a little tete a tete between the town of Cowaramup and the Laurance Winery. I won’t tell you what it is but you’ll have a good chuckle if you figure it out.

The resort itself is comprised of 18 units, each broken down into 2 smaller chalets with a locked dividing door that can be opened for larger groups. The walls are a little thing and as the units are built on stilts you can hear people move about. My advice is to try and respect your neighbour’s presence by walking a little more softly and not yelling out to your friends. You are, after all, here to relax so yelling is not necessary.

I can’t speak for the other units but our particular one was rather spacious, with 2 bedrooms, each with a queen sized bed, a full sized bathroom with bath and a dining / living room area and a full kitchen tucked in one corner. There is also plenty of veranda space with views of the bush or in some cases the ocean.

The units are not 5 star but they are relatively modern, neat, and tidy and have everything you need including a TV and DVD player. The TV was a slightly older model not compatible with my PS3 which was a bit of a downer as we had some movies we wanted to watch as our evening entertainment. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as we instead sat outside and watched a spectacular thunder storm and then laughed at a brazen group of possums as they tried to sneak up to our table and steal some fruit we had there. Shy and nocturnal creatures they are not!

The resort also has a rather nice pool which we didn’t try out as it was a tad cold. Also available is a tennis court where we did try a few volley’s before we both realised we were not that good at tennis after all.

It was then on the third day that we met the infamous owner. Either we caught him on a good day or else other guests are a little thick skinned. He really didn’t seem that bad. A little reserved maybe but I didn’t get the feeling he was going to eat my first born or grow a pair of horns. Maybe he treats guests as they treat him (is there a message there for those travellers who expect champagne service on a beer budget?????).

Our total stay at the Yallingup Forest Resort was for seven days and we certainly felt more relaxed at the end of our stay than at the beginning. Despite many adjacent guests coming and going we were lucky not to have any of the AC/DC at midnight or yelling at 110 decibel type of individuals that seem to be appearing in greater frequencies these days.

So would I recommend this resort? It depends. If you are after the height of luxury then this place may not be for you. However, if you are looking for something in the 3 to 3 and a half star range with a reasonable range of facilities and good proximity to Dunsborough, Yallingup and the Margaret River wine region then I think the Yallingup Forest Resort will be ideal. We certainly enjoyed our stay and will be back if the opportunity presents itself.

Room Tip: 18A and 18B are the only units which I think have ocean views. If that is your thing it may pay to...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton Hill, Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I’ve just finished another excellent week at Yallingup Forest Resort.

My dad and I have been visiting twice a year since 2007; my dad is in his 80s.

Our initial visit was to be a one-off for a look around Dunsborough. We have returned again and again because the welcome we received from Peter, the manager, put us so at ease we saw the potential for a second visit; then another visit, and another visit, etc.

Peter, a quiet man, is a perfect host in that he is there when we need something, but keeps enough distance to not be intrusive. He doesn’t mind a chat, but at our instigation.

Peter’s local knowledge, both about the surroundings of the resort and the wider area, has been the source for many of our day trips out over the years.

We visit in autumn and spring when the weather is warm during the day and cool at night. The days are usually sunny but there can be storms and heavy rain; sounding wonderful on the iron roof while we are cosy inside.

The Chalets are nestled amongst the trees. They are far enough apart that other lights twinkle at a distance, private, yet there is a feeling of community. We each have a room, an absolute must when one is travelling with one’s parent. There is a comfortable lounge-dining-kitchen area with facilities that provide everything needed but for the food and wine. The areas are pleasantly large.

The verandah is one of my favourite spots to sit and read, ponder, or just enjoy the surrounding trees and wildlife. During the day the birds come right up, at dusk the rabbits come out and a bandicoot can be sighted and at night the possums visit; they perch on the verandah railing. This time two Kookaburras spent their time looking at us through the windows.

Yallingup Forest Resort provides the perfect base camp for visiting the Dunsborough-Yallingup district; a beautiful area offering tranquil do-nothing, access to a wide selection of wines and other goodies at the “cellar door”, and more vigorous activates like walking (such as Bunker Bay’s 2.5km, the Cape Naturaliste Track), fishing and of course surfing. Closer to home the resort features a barbeque, tennis and pool area.

Dad and I spend our time reading inside, or sitting on the north-facing verandah in the spring-autumn sun. I write up my journal while he follows the footie on TV and we both watch the birds flitting about in the surrounding bush. We wander down to a very local micro brewery to try excentric brews; chocolate stout or lemon beer.

Each day we drive to Dunsborough to pick up provisions for home cooked meals; stopping off to get farm fresh eggs and hot bread from the bush baker. Feasts!

My goal has been to spend some time with dad out of the usual context. Yallingup Forest Resort provides the perfect setting for this and I feel we achieve a special time together.

Dad’s health permitting we’ll revisit our retreat for as many future springs-autumns as we can.

This last stay dad, just before he dozed off sitting in his chair, thanked me for the trip. Quite simple thanks, but from a man born in the late 1920s and brought up with the stoicism of that time, he spoke volumes.

Room Tip: Choose a chalet that takes into account the time of year visiting. The chalet's are duplex, so...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

This is not a resort. Well appointed and very spacious bush cottages in an ideal setting. Contrary to earlier reviews we found the manager polite and friendly. The cottages are set up with connecting doors so that you can book for two up to 10. They are within easy reach of the attractions around Margaret River. The local brewery offers a very nice drop. The cottages were neat and clean and had all the facilities required. No flat TV screens. Water nice and hot for showers. Good value at the discount rate offered throught Deals.

Room Tip: All the cottages looked good to us
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Gilbertsville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We booked our 4 night stay through Groupon for $399. Our Chalet was clean and very roomy. They are double units, the walls were a little thin, and the floors a little bouncy. We didn't use the TV, we did thoroughly enjoy the veranda, the bird life was awesome, had a Kookaburra that perched within an arms length, really showing off and letting us get plenty of pictures.
Our smoke alarm went off at 11 o'clock, and continued to go off about every 10 minutes the second night we were there. After several times of this we called the emergency number, the man we got a hold of was pleasant and came right over. Although he ended up taking the alarm with him and it wasn't replaced during our stay.
We loved being so close to the beaches, was a short trip in either direction. Enabling us to enjoy a couple of days fishing.
Over all we had a good experience and would go back if we got another good deal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I booked a 4 night stay through a Groupon voucher, for my elderly parents (in their 70's) to see the region whilst on a holiday here from the uk. The accommodation is large, clean and suits families perfectly - no problems with the accommodation.

The door lock was pretty tricky, and my parents managed to lock themselves out of their accommodation about 6pm. They called the emergency phone numbers, to find the land line had been disconnected and the mobile was turned off. They called numerous times, and we're totally at a loss what to do. The owner never responded to their calls, and they ended up spending the night sleeping in the car.

The next morning, when the owner finally rocked up, was flippant, gave excuses and asked them what they wanted him to do! Unbelievable that this man can abscond from his duty of care responsibilities, and leave guests of any age without emergency assistance, but specifically 70+ year old people to sleep in the car. Disgraceful attitude and behavior on behalf of this owner.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We were very excited to be arriving in the Margaret River region, as I've always dreamed of visiting one day! We booked a 4 night stay through Groupon and thought that $400 seemed like a good deal for unique accommodation in the area, which was to include a bottle of wine and yoga classes. I note that other reviewers have made the same observations, and I'm relieved to see it wasn't just us, but we found the manager was very rude. It was a shame, as the accommodation was spacious, clean and private, and it had the potential to be a good experience. I thought that we might have annoyed him as we arrived just after 5pm (when he was closing the office), and when I asked about our bottle of wine he didn't seem to happy to give it to us. I didn't end up chasing the yoga classes. We were pointed in the direction of our cabin and given the keys. The "chalet" is a large dual accommodation which we were lucky enough to have to ourselves. It had everything you needed, including a kitchen and shared laundry. We enjoyed kookaburras and different birds sitting on our verandah and we had more than enough space inside! This place would be perfect for a family. Good location, short drive to the beach and Dunsborough, and next door to the Bush Shack Brewery (which is awesome!).
Unfortunately, we had quite a few problems.... first a light was out, then when we went to jump in the shower the entire shower head fell off with the pressure of the water!! We decided to jump in the pool instead but were greeted with a swarm of wasps! We had hired a dvd and after a day of wine touring, sat down with dinner and realised the dvd played was broken (it wouldn't open) but as the office was shut, there wasn't much we could do! I know that all these things can happen anywhere, but when we went to notify the management the next day, we found him to be quite rude again. He did get us a temporary shower head, a new dvd player and also called the dvd store to allow us to keep it for another night as I had asked him, which was nice, but told me he was too busy to deal with the wasps.
We ended up leaving a day early to spend more time somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Yallingup Forest Resort? Share your experiences!