“Bad receptionist (renae) and tv” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rottnest Lodge

You added Rottnest Lodge to your Saves list
Rottnest Lodge
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Kitson Street, Cockburn, Rottnest Island, Western Australia 6161, Australia   |
“Bad receptionist (renae) and tv”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

When we booked one nights accommodation we were not informed that we were not allowed a newborn in the premium rooms, my partner booked & we were waiting for confirmation - no email & no call - we had to call them. Then upon calling we were told that we could only have a superior room since we were not allowed three in a premium room - no cot allowed. My partner called again & spoke with David who was extremely helpful & said that we could definitely have a premium room with a cot - which us what we had paid for. The room was nice & clean - though we had an adjoining door which we could hear every word the neighbouring couple said. We were told to ring the following morning to see of we could have a late check out as we had a newborn & we were getting the 4.30 ferry back to Perth. David said we should be ok to do so but just to confirm. We called & spike with Renae who informed us that we could have an extra hour - as it was raining we decided we couldn't spend a day on the island in the rain so we were able to get an early ferry at 9. My partner accidentally informed reception of the incorrect time - we notice our luggage hadn't gotten to the boat so we called reception. Renae informed us that there was no ferry to Hillarys at 9am & that our luggage would go to Freo on the 10am ferry. I informed her that we were infant in the 9am ferry waiting to leave - 15 mins to go. My partner had to race back to reception to retrieve the bags & run all the way back to the ferry since Renae seemed incapable if organising or even looking to see of our luggage had been moved. It's disappointing that all it takes is a staff member to ruin a lovely mini stay in Rotto! We also called to order a baby bath as in the hotels book/notes it said they were provided - however upon requesting one we were told that they do not do thus service??
We will return to beautiful Rottmest but we will definitely not book at the Rottnest Lodge & we will inform all family & friends to book elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Perth W.A
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the Lodge over the Easter break… the hotel is probably the best accomodation on the island… but there really isn’t much to choose from.

Pros
We stayed in a Premium lakeside room – they are large and nicely refurbished with views of the lake. They have a decent balcony. The room includes a King size bed and sofa that folds out to a double bed.
The lodge is close to the shops, eateries and a short walk to the beach
Has a small pool, bar and restaurant on site
Full cooked breakfast was included in our online booking

Cons
We were told that we could not have children in this room type so our friends had to book a different room type they booked a deluxe room - this was tiny compared to ours and didn't have a fold out double sofa – we thought this was very strange that the family of four were forced to stay in the smaller room?
Breakfast finished at 9.30am...! We thought this was a very early time to finish and the staff literally started clearing everything away at 9.25am!! Rather rude…
Other than the premium rooms which have been ‘upgraded’ everything else was still furnished in very dated décor.
The rooms don’t have air-conditioning?

Overall Rottnest is beautiful, the Lodge is okay.

Room Tip: Premium lakeside are the best rooms..
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Reading the reviews on here I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a lakeside room which had plenty of space and a balcony overlooking the lake. The room was clean and tidy and had everything you'd expect. The island itself is worth the little extra you pay for a room.

Too many whingers....

Room Tip: We went the lakeside and it was a good option.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay.Its rotto after all.Loved our stay would stay again.Staff in particular David were all lovely. No complaints what so ever. The lake side rooms are in a nice location.Breakfast is basic but enough. The bar behind the rooms do a nice basic pub meal.

• Stayed April 2013
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My sister and I recently returned from an overnight trip to Rottnest staying at the Lodge in a queen size room. I have read some of the reviews below and I would have to agree that the staff were a bit zombie like, not friendly or chatty, I smiled at the girl on reception and she gave me a look as if "what are you looking at". Very disappointing as a smile cost nothing. The room was nice and clean but there was a urine smell which we didn't complain about. That night my sister said she heard scuttling noises, probably the mice that someone mentioned below and this would explain the urine smell. I do love Rotto but it is so ridiculously expensive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights on a voucher. After looking up the full prices, I wouldn't stay unless we have another voucher.
The premium lakeside room was nice and big, great view but can hear everything through the walls.

• Stayed May 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

It's taken me almost 6 months to review the lodge because I've only just gotten over the experience.
Before I continue, we did complain and got all our money back (as we should), so we didn't pay for our accomodation.
Basically I got to rottenest with my two daughters and waited 4-5 hours to check in (they didn't admit it to me but they had lost our booking). Instead of admitting this error they attempted to clean out a decrepit, unused asbestos room that I'd imagine was used by cleaners or something as a smoko room (cigarettes and lighters covered the floor outside. No TV, no phone, rats in the roof crawling all night, the fridge didn't work and smelt of gas- it was truly horrible. The manager had the audacity to come to our room and complain we hadn't checked out by the 10am check out time- I asked her why she didn't call our room and she went a bit red and said because we didn't have a phone. My husband was irate and had taken a series of photos which he showed her. It didn't take long for them to admit their error and return our money- I understand this may have been a once off but I will never return. I grew up at rotto as a child and wanted that for my daughters, but sadly I will not be able to do so as the accomodation is so poor ( and expensive too). Pity

• Stayed October 2012
ChakraResorts, General Manager at Rottnest Lodge, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
We were extremely concerned to hear the recent comments of your stay on Rottnest Island in the later half of last year.

It does appear from the description of the room mentioned in your review that it was not in fact with ourselves and may have been for other accommodation options offered here on the island.

We have checked with bookings in our system and there is no record of your stay with us at the Rottnest Lodge. We ask if you could contact our general manager at gm@rottnestlodge.com.au to discuss the matter.

All of the Rooms here at the Lodge have TV’s with no exceptions. There is no asbestos in any of the lodge accommodation or buildings what so ever and this has been tested within the past 12 months and can be verified with the Rottnest Island Authority.

Check in for ourselves here at the Lodge is by 1pm with other accommodation here on the Island by 2pm. If arriving on the first ferry to the island in the mornings there can be a wait until the rooms are ready and this is stated on our confirmation emails.

Im glad the issues with your stay were rectified by way of a refund and hope that we get the opportunity to see you staying with us at the Lodge in the future.

Regards
Management

Been to Rottnest Lodge? Share your experiences!