“The lobster stew bread bowl was not good” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Albany, New York
“The lobster stew bread bowl was not good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

How could they ruin this? The liquid was watery when I was told, and expected it to be creamy, but the worst part was the fishy tasting lobster. Lobster isn't supposed to taste like fishy fish. I asked others at the table to taste it and it was agreed that it was old. Others at the table had haddock and prime rib and they said it was good. Just had to warn anybody paying $14.99 that if you like lobster but do not like fishy fish, save your money.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kate K, Owner at Reds Restaurant Incorporated, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
I’m so sorry you didn’t enjoy our lobster stew, particularly since it is one of our most popular and recommended dishes. Although I do understand that some guests are hesitant to do so, I do wish you would have mentioned to us that you weren’t enjoying it as we would have been happy to replace it with something else immediately. We actually prepare our lobster stew to order every time so we could have even modified its preparation to better match the flavor profile you were expecting when ordering. Please know that we have taken your feedback seriously and have since checked with each of our chefs to ensure they are all consistently preparing the dish correctly going forward. In addition, your feedback was an opportunity for us to help our service staff better identify non-verbal cues that we may have missed with you so that we can be more proactive when not meeting or exceeding our guest’s expectations.

“Will be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have lived in the area on and off for more then ten years and last night was the first time I have been to red and I can't wait to go back out next trip upstate. My husband and I ordered there seasonal drinks. Apple sangria. We both loves it. And pumpkin cider. My hubby though it was too sweet for him sini drank that. For starters we had the stuffed mushrooms and New England clam chouder. Soup very good large $5. 4 mushrooms for 8 dollars but great! I had the shrimp with artichoke and lemon AMAzING! My husband the crab cakes. Nothing special. Side salads great side and dressing home made delicious. We had blue cheese and Russian. We were full so no room for dessert. Our bill ended up being 73 dollars. We were very happy and look forward to next time!

Clifton Park, New York
“Excellent as Usual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stopped at Red's at an off hour (3pm) and everything was just as good as always. We all had a chowder (wonderful) and an entree. My grouper special was excellent. My cousins had the lobster roll (huge) and the seafood linguine (excellent). This place just never fails!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, MD
“Decent seafood, good selection”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is an average seafood house. Entrees come with standard salad and two sides. My grouper was thin and soft. No flaky chunks to be found. Shrimp dish was fine. Good quality bread offered. The waitresses seemed harried and rushed on this Saturday night. A decent, but not exceptional, local place.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Coxsackie, New York
“Relaxing and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

After a long day that ended at 7:30 pm, my husband and I decided to eat at Red's which is a local restaurant. First, I love the fact that they have white tablecloths without glass covers. We had two nicely made martinis to soften the long day. The calamari appetizer we shared was hot and tasty with a good marinara dipping sauce.

For entrees, my husband always gets the Chicken a la Reds (done like a chicken francese) and I usually focus on the specials. I had two outstanding sautéed soft-shelled crabs from the specials. They were done in a light and flavorful garlic butter sauce. The sauce complimented rather than overwhelmed the crabs. Our dinners came with a nice side salad, a starch (we had duchess potatoes) and the veggie of the day (corn). They had a good wine special - $15 for a bottle of decent Malbec or $5 by the glass. We did not indulge in a dessert.

One very nice thing about our visit was that we did come in for a relaxing dinner at about 8:00. It was a Wednesday, so there wasn't a huge crowd. We ended up being the last table and there was absolutely no pressure from the staff to get us up and going so they could go home. We left close to 9:30 pm full, happy, and relaxed.

• Visited July 2013