“What a let down !” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Sea Breeze Resort Exmouth

You added BEST WESTERN Sea Breeze Resort Exmouth to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Sea Breeze Resort Exmouth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   116 North C Street | H. E. Holt Naval Base, Exmouth, Western Australia 6707, Australia (Formerly Golden Chain Sea Breeze Resort)   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Exmouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Australia
“What a let down !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

Booked 10 nights for April school holiday for our family fishing trip to Exmouth.
Got special deal by booking directly with hotel manager at $165 per night, non-refundable payment made 7 months advance. Apparantly the normal price is well over $200.
After reading Tripadvisor review, I didn't expected much but it was much worse than expected. I guess it's all comes down to supply and demand but I felt very ripped off paying that much money for the such a poor standard accommodation. It was one of the worst places I ever stayed.
The moment we walked into the room, we could smell very musty. My husband suggested to move to somewhere else, but I didn't want to move as the booking was non-refundable and accommodation in Exmouth is fully booked during Easter/ April school holiday. So we had no choice but staying there.
The carpet was quite dirty and smelly, the fridge didn't shut property at it's position so we had to pull out to next to the wardrobe. Found & killed many creepy crawly including centipedes and cockroaches in the room. Bathroom is very old with basic amenities. Actually their compendium reads “shaving gear, toothbrush, shower cap etc can be obtained free of charge at reception.” When I asked shower cap at reception and house keeping staffs, they didn’t have any knowledge of any extra bathroom amenities.
Continental breakfast was included in the room charge and it was most basic breakfast I ever had in any accommodation around the world. It consisted toast, cereals, yoghurt, plastic cheese, milk, juice, bowl of chopped up fruit. They had espresso machine which is capable of making good coffee, but unless you order black coffee it was too cold.
After staying 4 nights I decided to fly home early leaving husband and teenage son behind. I guess being male, they are more tolerant with bad accommodation but I couldn’t handle any longer.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
AxelExmouth, Owner at BEST WESTERN Sea Breeze Resort Exmouth, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our customers are central to everything we do, so we welcome all feedback.

I appreciate you highlighting the benefits of booking well in advance for busy holiday periods. Because you booked well ahead and paid in full you were able to secure a Deluxe Studio for only $165.00 per night. Most of our guests who stayed over Easter paid over $200.00 per night. I must have been in a good mood the day your husband booked because I included continental breakfast too, which is normally $10 per person. With a saving of $65 per day you saved $650.00 by booking your ten nights so far ahead. I’d like to highlight the importance again of planning your vist early during busy periods like Easter and Christmas. Book your accommodation more than six months ahead and we’ll be very happy to lock in a great deal for you!

Accommodation in the north of Western Australia is expensive. We pay high freight costs to bring in supplies and we have to pay our staff allowances for living in a remote location. You’re right to make future travellers to Exmouth aware this isn’t a cheap destination. But the benefits are that you become one of a select few, who enjoy pristine turquoise coloured beaches, world class snorkelling right from the beach, exceptional fishing and unique experiences like swimming with Whalesharks or Manta Rays. For the majority of visitors to Exmouth that is a premium worth paying.

One of the joys when visiting the outback is being close to nature, however it can also bring disadvantages. The rain we experienced over Easter had the effect of bringing insects like centipedes and cockroaches out of the ground. While the affects of rain are largely out of our control I’m sorry you didn’t raise your concerns with us at the time, as we would have been more than happy to remove any pests from you room and also offered insect repellent.

None of my staff can recall you bringing the matter of the smell in the room to their attention. I’m sorry about this as we would have been more than happy to address it. Likewise, it’s regrettable that you chose to move the fridge in your room possibly even causing harm to yourself, without bringing it to our attention. The fridge has been there for over 2 years and every other guest has been able to open and close it, so we would have welcomed the opportunity to examine why you were unable to perform this task.

We do have amenity kits with razors and shower caps available at reception. Our assistant manager and housekeeping staff are fairly new and were not aware of this. This is a training oversight on our part and I thank you for bringing it to our attention so we do not repeat this error.

I’m sorry you found the selection on offer in our breakfast room basic. I’m not sure what you were expecting, but we don’t pretend it’s anymore than continental. The bowl of chopped fruit you refer to is actually a fresh fruit salad, prepared from fresh fruit each day on the premises and very much appreciated by other guests. I’m sorry you didn’t feel confident to speak up when you found your coffee cold. We would have been more than happy to change it for you. I note on your recent skiing holiday you appreciated the way the Hotel Berghof in Zermatt made your son a hot chocolate every morning on your skiing holiday. We also made him a hot chocolate every morning (with swiss chocolate as well) which he enjoyed very much.

I’m glad you were able to get a photo of one of the many emus that visit the Seabreeze. Yet as a Photographer myself, I think there is room for improvement. Our out of town location with its visiting wildlife is a bonus for many of our guests. The other photos where you include your old boxes, the effect once you had taken it upon yourself to move the fridge, are deliberately distorting the appearance of the studio. We distance ourselves from these.
They do not reflect the studio at all.

When a guests books direct with us, we take the opportunity to find out what they want to do. When your husband booked he told me it was a fishing trip and his only priority was to have a room next to his boat as he was deeply worried about security of his gear! We met that request in full and ensured you were as close to the carpark as you could be. We told him we could provide an area to wash his boat down every day (an activity which costs $5.00 a time at the caravan parks) which he and your son took full advantage of. Sadly, at the time of booking your husband never mentioned to me that he’d be leaving his wife to twiddle her thumbs in the room for 10 ten days, while he and your son enjoyed their fishing! How selfish men can be! As many people on this Tripadvisor page have said over and over again, you need transport to enjoy a visit to Exmouth. I’m sure if you’d been giving the opportunity to discover what makes Exmouth famous you’d have gone away with a different impression of the place. We are quite upfront about not wanting our guests to sit around at the resort all day! This is why we give everyone a map and local secrets of the National Park on check in. We’re all passionate about living close to nature and we want you to get out there and experience it as well! I’m sorry but your situation wasn’t properly explained to us. Had I been aware I would have been happy to suggest and organise tours for you. There are also beauticians and masseuses we could have arranged to visit you. In fact our assistant manager more than understands what it’s like to be a “fishing widow.”

I’m very sorry we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. With the information I was given we thought we were helping organise a family fishing trip and most of the time the wife is the keener “fisherman”. The fact your husband and son stayed on shows we must have succeeded on that account.

I hope your review will be read by many other men planning a fishing trip to Exmouth. Listen up blokes. Don’t just ask us what we can do to take care of your boat, sounder and fishing gear. You also need to remember to ask us how we can take care of your missus! As George Thorogood sang in his song “You’ll be glad every night, if you just treat her right!”
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I haven't checked out yet but I wanted to write the review whilst I had both time & the excellent free wifi.
I have just read a negative review from someone who presumably did little or no research before traveling 12000 or so miles.
I have stayed at George5th & The Lancaster in Paris, the Savoy, Dorchester & Grosvenor House in London, in various Ritz Carltons around the world - Sea Breeze is nothing like those places but it could teach them all a thing or two about customer service.
Yes it is out of town - but heh they offer a free shuttle service in to town to the restaurants that Jim is happy to book for you.
No it does not have a bar or a restaurant but neither does it claim to, it has 2 barbecues - where they put complimentary mossie spray.
The web site makes no extravagant claims, there is not much sea breeze, it's not what most would call a resort but it is one of the best places I have ever stayed in terms of the overall experience - we are staying an extra night & would have stayed 2 extra if there had been availability.
Being on a naval site it's a bit weird but they make up for it with outstanding helpfulness,large rooms,nice pool & barbie area - the continental breakfast is more than adequate - the coffee excellent & if u want to know ANYTHING about Exmouth - take aways, restaurants,diving,snorkeling,onward travel then Jim is your man.
Being out of town is no problem if u have a car - - most guests do , probably justvthe odd chap who has not done any research - a simple e mail to Jim - with any questions would have avoided the poor experience.
If u are coming to Exmouth & u will have a car - don't stay anywhere else.
A huge thank you to Jim & his team - including the guy that is cleaning the barbies at 7.00 am every day, Steve & Lyndel - and I know Chris & Kate would want to be included too. :)
Must dash - Jim will be waiting to drive us into town !

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
AxelExmouth, Owner at BEST WESTERN Sea Breeze Resort Exmouth, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Thank you for your review and setting a few things straight! I did not expect a current guest go into battle for us in this way, but I agree with everything you mentioned.
Over the past 14 years we learned a few things about customer service and as we travel a lot ourselves, what is really making a stay memorable! Each stay is an experience, good or bad. In our opinion our staff make the difference, not marble floor and golden tabs. Exmouth is unique in every way and we are too. This allows us to be creative, do things differently, odd location, strange or should I say interesting place for a Hotel - Resort? Hospitality is meeting expectations and I think we do not claim things we can not provide. Our service is based on the needs of our guests and our motto, "like staying with friends" and "we are different" only try to sum up which you have so nicely put in your comments.
As I am currently not on site, it is great to hear that our team under the leadership of Jim is doing an outstanding job. I thank you for mentioning the coffee, which I think is a real asset to us!
We really do appreciate your review and wish you could stay a bit longer. Anyhow, thank you and I am sure you will return, hopefully soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

My wife and I state here this April and had very mixed feelings initially and overall positive feelings by the end of our stay.

First issue to consider is that options are very limited in exmouth. It is basically the novotel (300+ a night) and a bunch of other reasonable options. Nothing in this town feels like a good value for money.

With that as context the sea breeze may be the best option. The hotel is the old womens' barracks at the naval base an it shows. The cyclone shutters on the windows make the place look a bit like a prison with the screen meshing and cinder block construction. Everything is very basic here.

The positives are that the staff is genuinely helpful and the rooms are clean. Additionally there are emus that are constantly roaming nearby...a pretty cool unexpected treat.

In summary, this may be the best of the options in exmouth. It is a very basic hotel, but it is clean, quiet and has a very helpful staff...which appears to be more than other comparable local options.

Oh, one more thing...hotel could be so much more enjoyable if mgmt invested to make pool and dining area a little more inviting and useable. Both were relatively unused and lightly maintained while we were there

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for your time writing a review and sharing your opinion. I am not sure when you stayed with us, but may point out that we had quite a bit cyclone damage and a change in maintenance staff. Our sails are in repair, so the BBQ area is looking quite bare I agree. Maybe the focus on repair of cyclone damage has taken the priority of the pool and outdoor area a bit down. This has changed dramatically to my understanding before the School Holidays started.
As the building is heritage listed, there is not a lot we can do, e.g. rendering the walls or change the exterior, adding balconies etc. which we tried, but were not approved. I agree with you, that first off we have a bit of a "Shrek" factor. Bold, bulky, and not the typical resort you expect, but then when you get to know the place, Exmouth and Ningaloo, it does works surprisingly well. I am glad that your overall experience was good and that you pointed out that there are not many alternatives.
We do our best, with a leased heritage building in a really interesting location.
Thank you for your time again and we hope to welcome you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Located on the edge of an active naval base, the rooms are a converted barracks. Bathroom was a bit old and the shower not very powerful, but the bed was very comfy and the room well insulated, keeping it quiet and cool - had a great nights sleep! Staff were really nice and friendly and ready to help if needed. Nicely located out of town, they will take you to the restaurant in the evening if required. Would be happy to stay there again when next in Exmouth.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for your well written review! I agree apart from the word "barracks". We converted the
Chief Petty Officers Quarters into the resort. The reason for the showers to be not powerful is the lack of water in the region and an incentive of the Water Department to save water. We installed flow restriction devices to minimize the waste of water. The North West Cape is in a desert climate and we have been extremely fortune and thankful for the amount of rain we have had over the past few month. Especially a couple of cyclones. All cyclones shutters ( where possible ) are now removed and the place looks a bit nicer.
Thank you again for taking the time sharing your opinion and experience with others.
Warwickshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

when this hotel was booked it was advertised as a best western, and having travelled all over the world and used many best western hotels, we thought this would be a safe bet !!! On arrival we found it was no longer a Best western !!!! Very clever photos in advert, ok it says within an naval base, does not say it is one badly converted wing of the base, Advertised as an hotel, but no bar or restaurant, you need a car to get anywhere and it is at least a half hour walk to a beach if you cannot hire a car, which we could not. We stayed one night out of an expected 3, when we contacted Discover West Holidays with whom we booked, they said they were prepared to try and get a refund and were helpful, however subsequently the hotel will not agree to this. in my opinion this hotel should be classed as a back packers hostel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not go there

Room Tip: Do not go there try Novotel !!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and your time to share your experience with other travelers. Obviously you booked via a Travel Agent and not with us. The expectations and information you had at hand at the time of arrival were no match to what you found. Maybe a bit more research and a visit of our website or a call to our reception would have prevented your disappointment. We changed on the 1st April to Golden Chain to offer better customer service and all travel agents were well informed of the change. The need of transport is paramount and we can not understand how you arrived without a car booking at the busiest time of the year ( Easter ).
We do NOT agree with your comments in regards to the service, building, it;s state or location. In the contrary I am informed that you left disappointed because of lack of transport, all tours being booked and that you felt "stranded". Our service extended in extensive search for a car for you and ended up booking flights for you. We do understand your frustration and disappointment but do not agree with your review. May we invite you to visit our website and point especially to the tab "things to know" which highlights the importance of planing your trip to Ningaloo.
We are sure that with a bit more planing and the correct information you would have enjoyed your stay as much as the other guests commenting on this site.
We hope to welcome you again, better informed and with an open mind to explore Ningaloo and it;s sheer beauty and I am sure you will have the best time in your life.
Our customer service, local knowledge and hospitality will insure that.
Anstey, Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We spent three nights here, 24th-26th March, thoroughly enjoyed the experience and will definitely return. When you walk into reception and are greeted with "welcome to Sea Breeze" it makes an immediate impression. We were shown to our room, shown the breakfast room, and told we would have our coffee made for us in the morning...which we were. Plenty of choice for breakfast as well.
We were able to hire snorkeling gear, eskie with freezer blocks, and beach umbrellla. It is an easy drive to Cape Range National Park. There is a shuttle service provided to restaurants in Exmouth, but it is no problem to drive the short distance. Our room was spacious, well equipped and comfortable. We didn't have time to use the pool or barbecue, but they looked well maintained and very inviting. Maybe next time. On our four week tour of Australia, this was an outstanding highlight.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
AxelExmouth, Owner at BEST WESTERN Sea Breeze Resort Exmouth, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Thank you for your review and nice comments. I hope you liked the new carpets in reception and BF area. The Cyclone has rattled us a bit but had some good things coming out of it. Thank you for re insuring us that we are on the right track! The shuttles are challenging some times but do make a big difference for a lot of people, I hope to welcome you back soon.
Perth, Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

My husbnad and I stayed here for 2 nights from 1st April and the service is outstanding. Nothing seemed too much trouble, a big thank-you to Jim and Nadine for their advice about tours and snorkelling. One of the light globes went in the bed-side lamps and was replaced immediately upon being reported. The free shuttle service to and from the airport is a big plus. Keep up the good work, would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you! What can I say, great plug for my pictures! It was a pleasure to have you and it is great that you shared your experience. We believe in the good old fashioned hospitality, where you are our guest, not a number! I am very happy that we made your stay a memorable one for all the good reasons. See you back soon.
Managing Director

Been to BEST WESTERN Sea Breeze Resort Exmouth? Share your experiences!