“Looks lovely; tastes OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mantarays

Mantarays
Novotel Ningaloo Resort | Novotel Ningaloo Resort, Lot 900 Madaffari Dve, Exmouth, Western Australia 6707, Australia
+61 8 9949 0003
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 18 Restaurants in Exmouth
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Jill40Jill40
“Looks lovely; tastes OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The décor of this restaurant is lovely - modern, spacious, well appointed. The wait staff were attentive. Good so far.
Sadly, the food did not live up to these good points. It is not that the food was bad, although another patron was clearly unhappy with his meal. It was, rather, that it didn't meet expectations. To be more precise, the highlight of the meal was the freshly baked cob loaf with a balsamic glaze. The snapper which both my spouse and I ordered for our main course was a little dry - clearly overcooked. The mash on which the fish was served was unremarkable. The other vegetables were OK. The desserts looked great, but the taste, somehow was a let down. So go to Mantarays for the ambience, especially as the prices are comparable to anywhere else in town. But do not expect haute cuisine.

Visited July 2013

Perth, Australia
“Amazing Birthday Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were staying at the Novotel anyway as it was my Birthday my husband booked us into the onsite restaurant. I'd read bad things about it so was a bit sceptical - but OMG either everyone had dead taste buds or they've changed their chefs - the food was DIVINE!

To start we had the gnocchi goats cheese and the garlic bread and oils - so tasty, could have had a plate full of the gnocchi for mains! For main course I had the Barramundi, totally melt in your mouth. For desert I had a surprise birthday cake that the hotel had arranged - a lovely touch.

Visited June 2013
Doha, Qatar
“Extremely disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had made a booking but when we arrived we were ignored by staff for several minutes and then there wasn't a table made up, so we had to wait at the bar where the waiter had a lot of difficulty understanding us. (My Dad ordered an orange juice and soda water, which completely baffled the barman) The service was terrible. My Mum had to send her Main back cos it was cold - my lamb was OK but the 'potato salad' with it was cold chopped up old roast potatoes and it was awful. I didn't eat it and the waitress didn't even ask me if there was a problem. When my mother paid they let the NAPS machine time-out three times waiting for her to add a tip!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Overpriced and poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The "award winning" claim made Mantarays an easy choice for us given we were staying at the hotel. We had to wait a short time for a table, but that was fine since we hadn't made a reservation.

I ordered the feta soufflé for entrée - tasted ok but was tiny - was expecting much more given that the price tag was the same as the soufflé at Bistro Moncur (a hatted restaurant in Sydney), disappointing. For main" the barramundi was fine. Was disappointed with the deserts, they only had three of the ten or so gelato/sorbets stated on the menu, and the waitress had no clue about the menu when I asked her to describe certain things.

The most disappointing aspect of the night was the service. There was a massive lack of attention and we had to call the waitresses over for everything we wanted - another drink, the desert menu, the bill... As far as we could tell, the only people the waitresses were giving any attention to were the two single male diners in the restaurant, apparently all attention was focused here, standing obviously close to these me and being flirtatious.

With average main price tag of $40, the meal was very expensive and they did not deliver a $150+ meal (including only one glass of wine).

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Overpriced and underfed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Poor service and mains over priced. We ordered our drinks which did not arrive until after our entree's despite being asked if we were ok by another waitress, and saying we were still waiting for our drinks. Our original waiter noticed that our drinks were still not served when the entrees arrived. Cocktails did taste great when they arrived and the Oysters were very tasty and fresh (despite being from Tassie!). Kids meals arrived with the entrees and were of a good size. Mains 200 g steak with 4 small bolied garlic potatoes minus the Garlic! and One sprig of Broccolini, the Burre Blanc sauce was very tasty though. Overall a long wait for average meals at a very high price.

• Visited May 2013