“Interesting Dive” 4 of 5 stars

Haines
8 attraction reviews
“Interesting Dive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

We dove with a small group of 5 and were lucky enough to have a calm day with good viz. The dive leaders were all very professional, friendly and helpful. The gear was in good shape and the whole operation went very smoothly.

I would recommend doing a two-dive tour here. For the first dive I would follow the divemaster around, but for the second, I would venture on my own and spend more time in your favorite area.

It's not a cheap tour, but if you like large fish, then it's probably worth your while to check it out. The viz isn't all that great compared to some of the other areas nearby, but the sheer quantity of fish is amazing.

Visited November 2011

Riga, Latvia
“A very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

My wife and me arrived in Exmouth and just went to the Ningaloo Whaleshark n Dive (NWD) shop with no booking beforehand. It was November, a low season, I assume, but anyway - the team was most helpful. They did not go to Muiron Islands that day, so the lady at the counter called the Exmouth Dive Centre and booked dives for us. They admitted us into the shop after the closure time and patiently answered my many questions. They exchanged a mask that I bought few days before and made two dives with their competitors, ewen though I had lost the receipt.

With the NWD we dove at the Navy Pier. The wetsuits were somewhat worn out and had a slight smell, but everyone got a computer. The regs were Cressi and worked well. The briefing before the dive was concise. We were a group of ten divers and had four guids. The guids all were young men and somewhat exuberant in their demeanor, trying to cheer everyone up with jokes and big smiles. Personally I would preffer a more peaceful atmosphere in the bus before the dive but it is a matter of taste. Just one of them looked bored with us and with the whole event. Some in the group who spoke Russian nicknamed him "the pofigist" - the one who doesn't really care. But down there he did a good job. During the first dive the guide led us for big fish an schools. On the second dive another guide paid much attention to small critters and details. There was also an option to go with your buddy on your own, without a guide. My wife is not a certified diver and she chose the "Discover Scuba Diving" option. The guide really made her feeling safe and gave thorough instructions before going into the water. She was very thankful. One thing that surprised me was that the guides were touching the fish and the turtles. It gave us a beter view of a stonefish or a turtle, but I'm not sure if the fish liked that.

The surface interval was quite short - about 30 minutes. During that time we were treated with a selection of small wraps, tee, coffe, water. I would preffer tho have the meal after the dives. On the next day we went to the NWD shop again to hire some equipment for snorkeling. The nice lady at the counter gave it to us free of charge. The dives, however, are very expensive in Australia and Exmouth is no exception.

The overall impression: It was not exactly a luxorious five stars experience for the (many) dollars, but we got a good service and were treated well. I would definitely recommend a friend to dive with the Ningaloo Whaleshark N Dive.

Visited November 2011
Basel
“Just a bad dive shop”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was just diving the Navy Pear in Exmouth with the Ningaloo Whaleshark-n- dive divers. Two Dives costs 210 AUD what is quite a price. Therefore I would expect high quality in terms of the Equipment and the performance of the crew. Unfortunately this was not the case. I was provided with some small fins which are available in a Supermarket for little money. I ask for some better ones and I do not mean some fins with boots, just normal diving fins with a good size and strength so you can swim in a bit of current. The crew by itself has all better fins by the way. In addition I had a mouthpiece which was bitten off, very uncomfortable while diving, so I took the alternative one.
In addition I was surprised about the behavior of the Guides under water. They touched the fishes whenever possible and tried to pull at more than one places an Octopus out of his hole. Finely they tried to make the hole bigger because the pore animal was hiding deeper in his little home.
Basically I do not care so much about food and the service. But there was really just a little bit to eat while the short half hour surface time. Also the half hour is a bit short, should be one hour at least, but the boys seem to be in a rush to come early back for the after diving bear.
In addition there was rarely any help in putting the diving equipment together ore apart. Not really important for me, but if I consider the price, there should be a bit of a bigger effort.
The diving was finally fine and I saw what I expected. A lots of Fish and marine life, but that’s what this spot is famous for.

Visited August 2011
The Netherlands
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent whaleshark tour - highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Whaleshark viewing/ swimming tour.

Whalesharks, a rare, extremely large but harmless (to humans) fish, can be viewed at Ningaloo from April to July annually.

We booked the tour via the Visitor Centre in Exmouth. It cost A$1200 for a family (2 adults 2 kids). Transfer to the boat launch on the West coast of the Ningaloo peninsular by bus was included, as were all snacks, drinks and a gourmet lunch. The boat was spacious, comfortable, clean and had high quality fittings and equipment.

Staff on the boat included several marine biologists who provided information both on the whaleshark and the Ningaloo Marine Park. The tour was professional, with a high regard not only for the safety of the passengers, but also for protection of the marine environment in which the tour operates.
We took our children, aged 9 and 10, and were impressed at how the staff tried to help them enjoy the trip and also learn about and appreciate the natural history of the area. "Ningaloo Whaleshark n Dive" certainly deserve their "eco" certificate.

The tour companies are certified, I think by the DEC, and are thus governed by rules of engagement with the whalesharks: for example no more than 10 persons near the fish at a time, and no closer than 3 metres. This is clearly explained by the staff on board whilst the boat travels to a site for snorkelling In the morning. We had an hour to snorkel over beautiful reefs.
Then the fish are located by spotter planes and the boat travels along the coast to meet up with a whaleshark. In groups of 10 persons, swimmers enter the water, line up alongside the staff member assigned to the group, and wait until the fish approaches. Once level with the fish's body you can swim alongside it, at a distance of 3 metres, until told to stop. The boat has moved ahead of the fish and the next group can enter the water. The boat then comes back to pick up the first group and again take them ahead of the fish. This process is repeated until the fish dives.

At about 1 o'clock the boat headed back up the coast and lunch was served. We had another chance to snorkel over the reef before disembarking at about 4pm.

We also saw dolphins, humpback whales, turtles and many seabirds.

You will need to take your swimming gear, a towel, suncream, sunglasses and a camera. You don't need shoes on board. The snorkels and fins provided are of high quality. For those less confident swimmers, there are "noodles" ( a bouyancy aid in the form of a flexible foam pole)

There are two toilets on board and a 'dry' cabin at the front of the boat. The main seating area is protected by a roof, with wind shields at the side. There are also comfortable seats on a small upper deck, or you can sit on the front deck and watch for dolphins.
A staff member makes a video of the day which you can purchase.

We were extremely pleased with this trip, especially as we had been on a different whaleshark tour on the previous day, (Ningaloo Reef Dreaming) which was akin to a boot camp with Captain America on steriodes. I wouldn't recommend that tour for children at all!! "Ningaloo Whaleshark n Dive" was much better.

Visited July 2011
Perth, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Top Quality organisation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Did the Pier dive with them after they managed to squeeze us in at short notice. Was super impressed with the level of safety and quality of gear. Great company and would dive with them again in a heartbeat.

Visited April 2011