Located 45 mins via car from the centre of Florence, staying at Villa Sassolini felt like we'd taken a step back through time. Surrounded by a small town on a hilltop overlooking the characteristic Tuscan olive groves and rolling hills this was a peaceful and relaxing getaway location. Although there was no parking inside the hotel grounds we managed to park right next to the front gate every time we returned. Parking was also FREE (yes, that's right - this is how small and quaint the village was). The villa itself was an amazing old building which had been thoroughly refurbished in keeping with a Tuscan villa.
Our room was very spacious with two windows providing a great view of the surrounding countryside and those amazing olive groves. The mini-bar was included although there was some dispute with the manager as to whether there was a bottle opener in our room. After a phone call and a trip down to reception he promptly delivered a bottle opener to our room which housekeeping then decided to take back a day later!
What we liked:
- The Room: Large, with great views and all the amenities.
- The Location: Perched atop a hill in the centre of a little village this is what Tuscany is all about.
- The Staff: The staff where friendly and helpful, especially our waiter George who certainly added a lot to the atmosphere. The manager was a slightly different story - very friendly & attentive only on the day you arrive & leave.
- The Food: The breakfast, lunch and dinner options were tasty and filling. Make sure you have the ravioli. It's that good.
- The Garden: Amazing. Just watch out for the bees. And wear insect repellent at night. Lots of it as the mosquitos will eat you alive.
- The Wi-Fi: Quick and included in the price. As it should be.
What we didn't like:
- The Amenities: The swimming pool was rather small (although there were always enough deck chairs) and not even a basic fitness room.
- The Stairs: Quite slippery and dangerous inside the villa. It was also very dark in the common areas at night making it a bit tricky to get around.
- The Bugs: The mosquitos were insane. Make sure you spray yourself from head to toe before going outside to eat dinner.
- The Housekeeping: They took back our bottle opener, forgot to give us a bath mat one day, gave us all sparking waters and left a set of dinner napkins/tablecloth in our room when they dropped off our washing. Not huge things but a little sloppy.
Overall this was a very relaxing stay for us and we would certainly recommend it to others looking for that relaxing Tuscan holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 022 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Venere, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and MrandMrsSmith so you can book your Hotel Villa Sassolini reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sassolini Hotel Montevarchi
- Hotel Villa Sassolini Italy/Montevarchi