“Nice Hotel in Saint-Emilion” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Palais Cardinal to your Saves list
Hotel Palais Cardinal
Place du 11 Novembre 1918, 33330 Saint-Emilion, France   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Saint-Emilion
“Nice Hotel in Saint-Emilion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed there for one night in September 2011. It is a very nice and pleasant hotel. It is located in Saint-Emilion, walking distance from the village center. We had a nice room. There is a beutiful swimming pool. We had no issue with the hotel's staff (even if while we were there, one of the hotel guests had a very lively discussion with the receptionist). Public parking space close to the hotel. Acceptable value for money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

The hotel is in a grand building, perfect location (the village is so small so any location within it would be convenient). I was dreading Reception (having read comments) but ANNE MARIE was at reception during our 3 days stay and she is exceptionally friendly and helpful. I forgot to bring an adaptor so could not use my own hair drier and Anne Marie brought one to my room after checking in. ANNE MARIE even put the heating on for us before we arrived, so that the room is not cold, and she called us, as we were delayed, to ensure we are ok. ANNE MARIE speaks perfect English and was very helpful answering our questions. The room ("comfort room" with bath & toilet at €100 a night) was small but clean, the bathroom was clean and had both a bath &shower, hair drier and the water pressure was very good (better than many hotels in the UK). Breakfast was not that good and expensive (I think €14), I felt, but it might be personal taste. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at St Emillion, an incredibly beautiful and special little village! The best way to get to St Emilio is: from Bordeaux airport take the bus to Bordeaux (€7) - it is either the bus or taxi, no other public transport. The bus stops at GARE ST JEAN from which trains to ST Emillion leave regularily (€15 return). St Emillion station is a 20 minutes walk to the village (uphill) so the other option would be stop at Libourne and take a taxi from there (€20 for a 7 minutes ride).

Room Tip: I went for the cheapest option of COMFORT room (smaller) with bath and toilet. Price was reasonable...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I laughed at the previous review's comments about the receptionist. I think I ran across the same one. Unwelcoming, to say the least, until I complimented her boots. Aside from her, however, the staff were all very nice and courteous. I was shown two rooms with different rates. The cheaper one was about on par to what I saw around town for the same price (i.e. not very attractive), and I was then shown a more pricey room, which I took for two nights. It was large and had two sinks in the bathroom, a separate toilet, and large french windows which opened to the lovely inner court. The bed was a comfy king. There were good amenities, good towels, excellent thermostatically-controlled A/C, and the room and hotel were well-maintained and clean. For some reason, the wi-fi did not reach my room so I needed to go to the lobby, but that was ok. It is free. The hotel is basically right in town. The restaurant is highly touted, but I did not eat there. There is a nice swimming pool, as well, and paid, enclosed, locked parking across the street. I recommend this hotel. A very convenient and comfortable place in a pretty building typical of St. Emilion in the center of this most incredible town.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room choices.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I wont bore you with the details but we left a jacket at the hotel and had to return to collect it (3 times). I have never met a more rude or discourteous person as the recptionist who works in the mornings. The other girl who works evenings was lovely which made the whole experience even more surprising.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We saw the mixed reviews but this was the only available hotel. The receptionist was very friendly and showed us two rooms to choose from. One was a suite and the other was a small double. We chose the double which was very small but comfortable with a nice bathroom. They have very safe private parking! Our stay was pleasant but there were some points of attention. Free wifi but only downstairs and in that room the lights are constantly flickering and driving you mad. All it takes is someone to climb up and give the light a turn.

There is no reception at night and you come in with your own key in a darkish lobby.
All in all it was a good hotel, a good room and staff was very friendly the whole time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

It is in a great location to explore St Emilion and has easily accessed secure parking. Stayed 2 nights in a Luxury room with A/C, which was a large room which had a sitting area with table, separate toilet & large well equiped bathroom, quite comforable but lighting was a little low and water pressure a little hit and miss. WiFi only in lobby area. We found the staff very helpful and pleasent to deal with, one girl seems to be jack of all trades, reception, makes coffee,organises breakfast buffet, concierge etc. Simple continental buffet breakfast was Ok but nothing flash. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Location is nice, but indeed, as others have said, the village of St-Emilion is so small that any hotel will be well situated. I haven’t had the chance to try the pool, as we only stayed one night (luckily). My room was very smelly, with all the old furniture and wallpaper. It didn’t have air conditioning, so I had to leave the window open. As it gave onto the road, it was a rude wake up call. Each car passing by on the pavements just below was like the sound of a subway passing right next to your ears. Very unpleasant.

Breakfast is supposedly open at 7:30, but at that time, the lady (Maria I believe) was still installing things and the coffee and tea were not ready. WiFi is only available in the reception area and is intermittent. They had to reset their Internet box, which apparently is « normal », but if nobody’s around to do it for you, then you can just wait until 7:30… I also overheard a group that reserved the conference room and were assured to have a video projector, only to find out that there was none… Terrible service !

Thankfully I only had to stay for a short night, and I will not return there !

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room that's not on the road side
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Palais Cardinal? Share your experiences!