“Better off going somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars

1 Bis Rue Porte Ste Marie, 33330 Saint-Emilion, France
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 37 Restaurants in Saint-Emilion
New York
“Better off going somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The setting is really cool and the view is nice, maybe this is a place worth stopping at just for the view, but I'd never go again. Here are the pros: the view and setting, the service, and our first courses - my boyfriend had a squash soup that was quite good and I had a salmon carpaccio that was great. The cons: the menu we took was 18 euros each without a glass of wine that will run you about 7 or 8 euros (expensive for this type of restaurant in France), the first courses were good, but out main course - the plat du jour - was awful. It was a lamb stew that sounded pretty good and we both were prepared for something rustic but what we got was clearly the worst, gristly and fatty chunks of meat in what felt like canned beans and with a soggy salad on top, truly a disappointment. The cheese plate at the end of the meal was also one of the worst I have had in France. I'd look elsewhere or self-cater next time.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Ireland
“A little different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Different in a good way. The location is quirky, with the restaurant carved out of rock. It was a Wine Cave in a former life. But the food is the real winner here. The menu doesn't surprise but the meal does when it arrives. Everything done with a slightly new or different twist, not one of the four in our group did not rave about what we ate. And we had the good fortune to be last in the restaurant and to be regaled by Steph and Remy whilst enjoying another bottle of wine, which was also excellent value.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Too much salt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My wife and I were looking forward to our meal - we hadn't eaten anything since breakfast. We chose this place for the nice chilled atmosphere - but the food didn't live up to our expectations. The starters and desert were ok - but the mains (I had steak - she had duck) were over seasoned. The chips were so salty - we couldn't eat them - and my steak probably had too much pepper. Such a shame because the waiter was so nice it could have been such a lovely place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Monza
“Good food but wine a bit too expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

This restaurant, which is literally carved out of a stone in beautiful St Emilion, offers real value for money. I and my wife went for the set menu options, one at 18 and the other at 25 Euros. The entree was simple but fresh and the meat main courses were really outstanding and so were the desserts. We went for a bottle of Chateau Landereau which I found a bit on the expensive side (25 euros for a bottle one can find in store for maximum 7). The service was good and the waiters were very friendly. San Pellegrino at 5 euros a bottle was not a surprise in France.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Friendly & passionate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

The place was quiet when I went in. The food is surprisingly good. The steak was cooked perfect. Great value on the wine with lots of choices. I enjoyed the company of the staffs and the ambience.

Visited January 2011