“Not Friendly Nor Compassionate” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Wellsville
Madison Heights
“Not Friendly Nor Compassionate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

The Microtel in Wellsville, New York is a nice, clean and well maintained facility. I have stayed there a number of times when I go up to visit my family. The staff would not win to many awards for friendliness though. On December 18, 2009 my wife and I were on our way to Wellsville from our home in Virginia. We had a history making snow storm and were actually stranded for 2 days just an hour from our home. we were not able to make our reservations on the 19th, booked through Expedia. We contacted Microtel asking them to give us the option to rebook another date or a refund since the highways were closed and we couldn't even turn around and get home much less make it to Wellsville. They refused and charged us $124.42 with an offer of a 15% discount on our next visit....What next visit I say? Expedia was understanding enough to give us $50.00 off our next booking to anywhere with them.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

My entire family was in town for an event and this was a great place to stay. We have stayed at others in town before and this was by far the best. It is located walking distance from the main strip of town, shares a parking lot with Dunkin Donuts. The staff is friendly, the place is clean and brand new. The bed was comfortable and if you needed a suite, which we did, you could fit 4 people easily and 5 if one of you wanted the day bed window. Continental Breakfast was nothing to be overly excited about but the standard at most hotels luckily with Dunkin Donuts in the same parking lot though you could go and get a nice egg sandwich in the morning. I would definitely recommend this place to others.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Buffalo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Our non-smoking room smelled smoky so we had to request another room. The maid service neglected to clean our room even though we asked the maid directly to clean it when we were leaving for the afternoon. Upon returning to our room that evening, we notified the front desk and they delivered the fresh linens. We had to make our own bed! The rooms are very small with no dressers to store clothes. It is the only hotel in town and the lack of competition shows. If you have a choice, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Wellsville hotels

NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

Too bad other people had bad experiences here. Our stay was clean and comfortable. We had a "suite" that had all the space we needed and then some. Can't comment on the staff, because other than check-in, we didn't have any interaction with them. Even though our stay was a short one (1 night), if it had been a week, this place would have been perfect.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

I stayed here for three nights...I arrived late and tired to find a room that hadn't been vacuumed (carpet full of crumbs and food under table), linens not changed (mascara on the pillows), tables not wiped (sticky and glass rings everywhere)...it smelled...stained carpet...oh dear!
Next day I made sure the staff knew about the discrepancies, and did nothing about it...carpet still filthy, put the sign to change the linens and they were NOT changed...I mean, I understand that this is the only place in the area, but that doesn't mean that you should get away with no cleaning!
I treated the place like if it was a public restroom, never was barefoot, slept on my own blankets (thank God I had some), and never sat on the toilet, took showers with my sandals...I mean, just terrible!
If you can find a place in a different town, then go for it - I had no choice since I was here for business and work booked this dump.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything is awful!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Akron, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

I have stayed here several times and since I don't expect much for this area, it has been fine. Rooms were clean. But this 3 night stay was ridiculous. After checking in and going to the ice machine, which was broken the entire stay with no sign on it, we were locked out of the room. "Something" had happened, more than the battery, and my friend had medicine that she had to have inside. She was told that the girl in charge had no idea how to get into the room. This girl was very pleasant and since she was the only one there and apparently there is no emergency procedure to bring in another worker if needed, she worked on breaking into the room while she answered the phone and ran back and forth between floors. Let me know if you want to know how to break into the rooms, my friend has seen how to do it. We were moved to another room. No help was given and my friend was alone at this point. This trip was many things, including a girlfriends getaway. We had planned on paying for at least 2 movies in our room. We never could get a connection. We contacted the front desk many times. We called the pay to view contact. We were told by them that there is a switch on the back of the tv. TVs are perched on top of the closets- no way we could fix it. We were told it would be taken care of. NOTHING WAS EVER DONE. Ran out of coffee cups but someone would be back in 20 mintues with some, we were told. We were left a note that the maid was short on towels. It was little things like this the entire stay. We asked for the owners name but were told it could not be given out. Some of the staff is rude, some are nice, all appear clueless and some could care less. Rooms were clean.

• Liked — Good for a laugh
  • Disliked — Good for a laugh
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Southern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

With really nothing else available in town, this is your only option. Walking distance to 'downtown' and several restaurants, Dunkin Donuts right next door. Certainly clean, but as other reviewers mention, you have to ask for a hair dryer from the front desk... same goes for iron/ironing board.

Continental breakfast is dismal.... bagels and juice is pretty much the extent of it, but if you head into town on the same side of the street you can get a great breakfast at the Modern Diner for about $5 per person.

The lobby/lounge area is very small, so there really isn't anywhere to 'hang out' if you're there with a group, unless you borrow the conference room or cram into one of the rooms.

Our air conditioner was on the blink & it was stuffy in the room, shower drain was really slow, but we mentioned to the staff & they fixed both while we were out for the day.

Staff.... some were very friendly and helpful in directing us to places we needed to be. Others were clueless, and bordering on really rude. Also --- most of the staff smokes, and they just grab the cordless handset to the lobby reception and take it outside with them, which I thought was a little strange....

Overall, you don't really have a lot of choices, Microtel corners the Wellsville 'in-town' market. Imagine if someone had the forethought to put up another inexpensive, clean hotel in town.... hmmmm.

Also -- keep in mind, with a small town, you'll be limited to what you can do on a Sunday evening, so eat early! Many places close early on Sunday :)

• Liked — Convenience & Price
  • Disliked — "Continental" breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Wellsville? Share your experiences!