“The Beale St. Cafe is NOT Just for Mardi Gras Celebrations!!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 106 Restaurants in Webster
Clifton Springs, New York
“The Beale St. Cafe is NOT Just for Mardi Gras Celebrations!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

If you want Louisiana-inspired cuisine year-round, the Beale St. Cafe has the menu to check out!
We tried the Shrimp & Grits and the Seafood Creole on our most recent trip, and weren't disappointed. Neither were overly spicy, but the portions were generous, as was the amount of seafood contained in both selections. The service was great, as was the band!! Great atmosphere, as Mardi Gras approached. We'll be back sooner rather than later.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, New York
1,525 reviews 1,525 reviews
1,001 restaurant reviews
“Not so good...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I was traveling solo when I stopped into the Beale Street Café tonight, and I was not impressed with my visit. I will admit that, at first, this was a tough choice between a '2' and a '3', but too much was wrong with the visit to justify the higher score. By the time I left I ended up wondering whether this should be a '1' instead of a '2'.

When I entered the restaurant, I was pretty much ignored at the front desk; no one asked me if I wanted to be seated at a table, or anything else that a hostess should have done. I walked back to the bar after a few minutes up front and looked around at the arrangement back there, once again without anyone saying a word.

The bartender did eventually say hello, and she brought me a menu when I asked for one. She also brought me a sample of a draft beer, which I rejected in lieu of a Guinness stout.

The bar area was pretty empty, so I ordered a pair of appetizers (a bowl of the New Orleans gumbo and a half pound of "peel-and-eat shrimp") for dinner. The gumbo arrived quite quickly, and was a rather salty mixture that contained some gumbo-flavored meat, but no visible seafood at all. No shrimp, no scallops or fish, nothing I could see from the sea. It didn't taste bad, but it didn't taste like gumbo either. Strike one.

A short while after the gumbo, the bartender brought me out the shrimp, which was arranged more like a shrimp cocktail than a plate of peel-and-eat shrimp. It was supposed to be a half pound, but it looked like considerable less. Regardless, it had NO TASTE AT ALL. In fact, it tasted SO unlike shrimp that I refused to eat it after the first couple bites. I was afraid of getting sick. It is possible that it was OK, but like I said, it didn't taste like shrimp. I told the bartender that I was afraid of eating it, and she volunteered to bring me something else instead. I ordered a blackened catfish sandwich with cole slaw. The catfish didn't taste like anything, and the cole slaw never came out at all. I decided to just bolt out of there instead of complain.

In short, this was a poor visit. The food was poor, but the bartender really did try, and she took off the cost of the shrimp that I didn't eat. I gave this place a '2', but I will not come back for a future visit.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rochester Ny Area
“great locally owned place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

great food; wonderful bar; terrific staff; it gets really busy; be ready to wait a little. The food is great!

Visited September 2013
Rochester, NY
“The Beale has really kicked it up a notch in 2013!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I've been going to the Beale for about 10 years, maybe oh twice a year, on average. Until the last 6 months or so, it always just used to be a so-so standby place-- that is, never had a bad meal, but never anything to write home about, nor anywhere to take out-of-town guests. Also, some items were a bit pricey, for the quantity/quality... They were reliably consistent, at least, though. I know, so far, this isn't sounding like a 5-star review... But, sometime this spring, they changed their menu. And it is AWESOME now. A combo of prices getting lower while portions and/or side options got more generous, but more importantly, the diversity and flavors of cuisine they have added = Wow. No, it is not the to-die-for cuisine that you get in New Orleans (yes I've been there). But I'm not comparing it to that, because this is Rochester and I'm a realist-- we can't expect authentic Cajun cuisine on (virtually) the Canadian border. But what you get at Beale St nowadays is damn tasty, flavorful food. Lots more diverse options than there used to be. Plus, good beer (and mixed drinks), good (often live) music, and good service. I just might start to bring out-of-town guests here, since the Beale has decided to kick things up a notch like this....

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsford, New York
“Great food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went to Beale Street with my husband for dinner. I liked the fact that there were many choices on the menu to choose from. Though I am a very picky eater, I was able to find options. The atmosphere is good. They even offer music on weekends. Service was great and I look forward to returning there soon.

Visited February 2013