“Genuine Rain Forest Experience with perfect guide” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Amazonas

You added Posada Amazonas to your Saves list
Posada Amazonas
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Private Reserve within the Native Community of Infierno, Tambopata National Reserve 084, Peru   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Houston, Texas
“Genuine Rain Forest Experience with perfect guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

When I first arrived and went on a hike through the jungle, I thought that a 3-night stay would be too long. But it was just right! You need 3 dawns to see the really good stuff. I took my cool showers before dinner, and it was nice to clean off and cool off and put on clean, almost dry clothes. My husband took his showers right before bed and they were a little uncomfortable. I can't understand those who complained of cold showers before dawn: why wouldn't you want to wash off the insect repellant and mud before bed? So I didn't mind not having hot water.

Be sure to take nylon safari clothes, such as Royal Robbins. They are very comfortable to put on wet in the early morning and will dry some as you wear them. They are comfortable in the rain, too. Do not take cotton clothes if you can avoid it, as they will not dry at all while you are there. I wore my cotton clothes after my shower for dinner. There isn't much to do after dinner, and you have to get up at 4:00, so it was early to bed.

Our guide, Silverio, was wonderful. He is an enthusiastic bird watcher and taught us a lot. My husband and I and my sister and her husband had him all to ourselves. He woke us up before dawn, joined us for all our meals, and led us on our excursions. He loves travelers who want to learn. His English is almost as good as a native speaker.

I grew weary of the poor lighting in the rooms before bed, but other than that I did not mind not having electricity. There is a place in the dining room/bar to charge your camera, computer, etc. Our guide let me use his computer one afternoon so that I could get on the internet and check e-mail. It was very hot and humid, but we did okay. I felt a little self-righteous going without the little comforts.

This is no place for honeymoons! It is too hot to even sleep in the same bed (our room had a twin and a double bed.) There is no privacy at all. You can hear through the walls, especially in the bathroom.

I loved the open-air room. It was fun sleeping under the mosquito net. I took my book, book light, and watch inside the netting so I wouldn't have to find anything outside the netting in the extreme darkness. Be sure to bring a headlamp.

The hikes to and from the boats, carrying your hand luggage, are difficult, slippery, and there are no handrails. This is not a great place to visit if you are not fairly physically fit. You really wouldn't want to get hurt or sick in this remote area, at least 1.5 hours from the nearest town.

The food was fine. The bar was fun. This is not a luxury resort. But it's a wonderful, unforgettable experience and I'm so glad that I went.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We were travelling in a tour designed for small grps & were combined to make a bigger grp here. This would have been ok, certainly would have preferred not to, but that's how they do it here. Any sightings are best with few people and in fact our best experiences were when we were able to separate ourselves - & this was difficult as its a big place with a very set routine of activities to keep guests busy.
We didn't really see much for what we were hoping to see for a visit to the Amazon Jungle - it was really only temperate forest. We saw no macaws - would have been much better to go to the viewing hut very early in the morning. We saw a couple of monkeys. On the lake tour we saw otters in the distance - but you really needed your own set of binoculars to see & therefore appreciate.
The hotel itself was quaint and unique with 3 walls, no electricity, oil lamps, NO hot water, mosquito nets etc - you just hope you dont get put next to noisy neighbours & beware that although your first morning is early (4am) - the next morning when you think you can sleep in to 6am - think again as the next tour grp is off for their otter spotting 4am start & you can hear EVERYTHING. Then the housekeeping comes in and cleans as soon as that group has left!!!
This is a very manufactured & minimal jungle experience.

• Stayed August 2010
darlington, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

What an amazing place to stay. Rooms were great. Only 3 walls, one open to the jungle. Beds were comfy and the hammocks even more so. Flushing toilet and a nice cold shower.
Staff were great and helpful and the guides were excellant.
Food was good quality with fresh food and even a bar for drinks.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Our stay at Posada Amazonas was fabulous. The rooms were beautiful- one wall open to the jungle. At night the rooms and walkways were lit by kerosene lanterns and the jungle sounds enveloped us as we slept. The food was really great- amazing, in fact, considering how remote we were.
Our guide Frank Pichardo was knowledgeable and very helpful. One of the highlights was the optional rope climb to the top of a 100 ft. tree with a platform at the top. This activity was led by an adventure guide, Jorge. Everyone in our group made it to the top through sheer strength and willpower. I alone was unable to climb the rope. Unwilling to let me fail, Jorge and Frank literally pulled me to the top. Amazing! The view from the top of the tree was breathtaking and, honestly, this is the part of my Amazon trip I will remember the most. It's these special unasked for and unexpected things which make a good guide a great guide.
Thanks Jorge and Frank ! And thanks to Nomo who grabbed me at the top and pulled me the last few feet. You guys are amazing!

• Stayed September 2010
scotrun
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I recently visited the Lodge ane i considered it to be the highlight of my viist to Peru. I must commenyt on the genuine friendlinest of the staff and there willingness to help in any situation, the accommodation was clean and romantic. Our guide Ruben was passionate about the forest and made you feel that passion, he assisted the older member of our group at all time, Hats off to Ruben, he was the best Guide I had in my entire stay in Peru. Marriott, Pensylvania,USA.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Everything about Posada Amazonas exceeded our expectations. Ther lodge was very clean, organized, and it was clear that great effort is taken to preserve the environment.

From the airport pickup we were broken down into smaller groups of 8-10 people, with whom we went on excursions with and ate meals with. Our guide, Fino, was wonderful and incredibly knowledgeable on the rainforest and its inhabitants, as well as adept at spotting animals and identifying them by sound.

We went in August, so it did not rain and we did not find many bugs. That said, we never went out without bug spray and slept in the mosquito net beds. The open rooms provide a great experience as they allow you to hear the sounds of the jungle all night (yes, this also means you can hear your neighbor all night). There is just a curtain separating your room from the hall, and your bathroom from your room. The showers are quite open as well, with just clear plastic surrounding it. The water is very cold, and with the humidity, my hair never truly dried.

There is a large dining room for meals. The food is great and buffet style, so you can eat as much as you want. There is a bar for those who'd like somehting extra. Coinciding with meals there is also electricity for a few hours so you can charge your camera.

We went to the Oxbow Lake, to visit the Shaman, to various clay licks, and hiked to the canopy tower. We saw many monkeys, birds, caymen, rodents, leaf cutter ants, and even a tarantula. Overall it was really an amazing experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I really had no idea what to expect from this part of my trip. We arranged everything with a travel agent, so we didn't research the hotel that much. My husband (in our late 20's) and I travelled with both of our parents (in their late 50's and early 60's).

We were greeted at the airport in Puerto Maldonado. They bused us to a location where we were asked to leave any luggage that wouldn't be necessary for the amazon. Then we proceeded to the "taxi" boat that took us to the lodge. They also fed us along the way. The boat ride was amazing. It's covered, but make sure you've got some sunscreen on!

We arrived at the hotel and were showed to our rooms. It reminded me of a log cabin in the mountains. The adjoining rooms had 3 walls, and the 4th "wall" was open to the jungle. It was a little unnerving at first, but kind of cool.

The hammock in our room was awesome. We fought over who got to nap in it!

The bathroom: no hot water! It was a really really cold shower. Never got used to that! And don't try to flush any paper products down the toilet- they will clog!!

When we arrived, we wondered what all the rubber boots were for.... we soon found out! May was the beginning of the rainy season. The rain is brief but very heavy. So the trails were very muddy and we learned to love those boots!

It's very oranized. In a group of about 8, you have organized outtings, hikes, observations. They're optional of course, but do it all! We even did a night hike with our guide- saw kammens, deer, frogs, and some serious bullet ants. It's amazing how dark it can be! During the day, we saw the clay licks with the parrots and macaws, we fished for piranhas, got to visit with a local shaman.

It was an absolutely unforgettable unmatched experience. I highly recommend it. We went for 3 nights. I believe you can do 2 nights as well, but you won't get to see or do everything.

The foot was amazing. You wil not go hungry. But bring any snacks or anything you might want. As there are no outside shops or anything.

You will need a flashlight or headlamp - there is no electricity after 9pm. They do light gas lanterns for you.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Posada Amazonas? Share your experiences!