“One thing I did not like...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Amazonas

You added Posada Amazonas to your Saves list
Posada Amazonas
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Private Reserve within the Native Community of Infierno, Tambopata National Reserve 084, Peru   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Diego, California
“One thing I did not like...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The only thing I wasn't happy with at Posada Amazonas was that we only spent two nights there! The lodge was a perfect combination of rustic and comfort. I loved the open rooms -- waking up in the middle of the night to the sounds of the Amazon (and the occasional firefly flying past my bed, and the soft sound of wings flying past -- bats? owls?!?) is something I will remember for my entire life. And how else would I get great photos a a few dusky titi monkeys moving through the trees just outside our room? Our guide, Leny, was very knowledgeable about the plants, birds, amphibians, mammals, insects -- everything, really -- and answered all of our questions (considering three of the four of us in our group are wildlife biologists, that's saying a lot!).

Several of the people in our group of eight (our guide was assigned us four and two other couples) missed a few of the excursions, and I would strongly recommend against missing anything! I wouldn't have missed any of the trips they took us on -- the oxbow lake was incredible (giant otters! hoatzin! anis! aracaris! piranha fishing!), the trip to the tower was great (although some of us were hesitant at climbing that high!), the clay lick was awesome (two species of macaws!), the native plant/medicine tour was extremely informative, and best of all -- the night hike! Leny took us to see a female chicken tarantula in her burrow protecting her young (viewed from a safe distance, of course), and on the way back, we were buzzed by bats, tracked down a few calling tree frogs, and got to see a night monkey (apparently very rare) and a Brazilian porcupine foraging in the trees.

Obviously, the wildlife was my main interest and I was thrilled with what I saw. But beyond that, I found the lodge to be very warm, welcoming, and clean. The food was very good; and the staff was incredibly knowledgable, friendly, and helpful. The manager was very accommodating and quick to help when I (stupidly) locked my wallet in the safe without setting a combination...

We were in Peru for a little under two weeks, and looking back, I would have easily traded most of that time (excluding our hike on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu) for more time at Posada Amazonas. This was a trip of a lifetime, and I'm having a hard time deciding whether to move on to a new place/country for my next big trip, or return here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
DaniellelParker, Public Relations Manager at Posada Amazonas, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Shawn1222,
If the one thing you did not like was that you didn't stay longer, I guess we've met our goal of giving guests the best possible experience in the Amazon. Thank you for writing such a great description of your trip. We hope you return again some day!
The Staff at Posada Amazonas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

this is my first visit to the Amazon.
As we came from urban city,HongKong, what we expected is a totally different world.
Posada Amazona locates inside the basin, and their lodge is really beautiful and comfy. The accommodation is really nice, the bed is very clean and the shower is really good(even better than in Lima). The tour guide provides good knowledge on what we saw in the forest. Service is great too,everyone is very polite.

Room Tip: as rooms do not have windows/doors, there is not much difference in all rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Iam2panther,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review and for traveling all the way from Hong Kong to visit! So glad you enjoyed your stay!

Greenville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We are a group of 6 that travel every other year. This year we ventured to the jungle! Gilbert our guide was so compassionate and informative. Refreshing to have such a guide that's wants to share his passion for his jungle. He was available any time for a walk or anything else we needed. The lodge was a perfect setting for our jungle adventure, never felt we were at risk, and the food was great especially catering to our vegetarian friends! Bring plenty of bug spray, I came home bite free and wear lightweight comfy clothes, nothing too fancy. Don't forget your headlamps, they are necessary for a shower in the dark.

Room Tip: They are all the same
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
DaniellelParker, Public Relations Manager at Posada Amazonas, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Maggie P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us and others know how your stay was. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your guide. Most of the staff and guides at Posada Amazonas are from the native community of Infierno. The rainforest is their home and they know it very well.
We hope to see you again someday!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had a great experience at Posada Amazonas! The lodge was beautiful, the food was great (they accomodated for my dietary restrictions), and we the guides were excellent. We saw lots of wildlife and really enjoyed all our time at the lodge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Absolute perfection , Sooo Relaxing ,Service and Guides where wonderful . I would recommend it to everyone. The tower walk was spectacular we saw lot of birds and monkeys. Don't wear your own shoes just use the boots provided so your stay dry.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 4 days/3 nights as part of our honeymoon.
Our guide, Rodolfo, was excellent and we saw quite a lot iof wildlife, even though it is the rainy season.
The facilities are good, an up market way of seeing the jungle and not camping!
I loved that we had candles in our rooms and no electricity, and there were always activities to do.
If you'd like an adventure with caring staff....stay here!!!
I was unwell for 2 days and Rodolfo arranged special bland meals for me.
Home away from home.

• Stayed December 2012
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I am so grateful that we found Posadas Amazonas. For our short 3 days/2 nights in the Amazon, I couldn't have asked for more. Customer service was top notch, food was excellent, and every activity enjoyable (even the dawn and night hikes). I felt like we got pretty lucky, as we got to see many of the cool animals (monkeys, two types of caymans, giant river otters, piranhas, macaws and other cool birds, lizards, agouti, etc.), and we were fortunate to not have had any scary visitors to our room. Just the incredibly relaxing jungle sounds for our naps and nighttime sleep. We definitely took their packing and dressing recommendations seriously, which worked out for us, as we didn't deal with any bug bites. I would also like to note their customer service for our companion. She fell ill her first day (NOT from Posadas Amazonas, but something she contracted in Aguas Calientes or Cusco), and they were quick to get her to a doctor in Puerto Maldonado, had their Customer Service Manager (I believe her name is Hortencia) stay with her the entire time to translate and advocate for her, and would not take any chances, including seeking multiple doctor opinions and not transporting her back to us until they were confident she was healthy enough. She did make a full recovery, and we are all so grateful that she was not in it alone. The staff also made sure to keep our group updated on her multiple times per day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
DKrautmann, Public Relations Manager at Posada Amazonas, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Ramonaruby,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review. We are sorry that a member of your group fell ill during her stay and was not able to fully experience all the lodges had to offer.
Thank you for mentioning the recommendations about how to prepare. A complete list of what to bring as well as medical considerations can be found on our website under FAQ's. We encourage all guests to read this thoroughly in order to best prepare for their stay with us.
Thank you again for choosing Rainforest Expeditions for your stay in Tambopata. We hope to see you again some day.
Danielle Krautmann and the staff at Posada Amazonas

Been to Posada Amazonas? Share your experiences!