“Great location - poor activities” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Amazonas

You added Posada Amazonas to your Saves list
Posada Amazonas
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Private Reserve within the Native Community of Infierno, Tambopata National Reserve 084, Peru   |
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great location - poor activities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

If you want to feel as if you're staying deep in the rainforest and close to the elements but in the relative safety of an organised tourist location, then this is the place for you! The lodge is absolutely superb - very hard to improve.

The bedrooms are nicely designed with one wall open to the rainforeat so that you feel close to nature. The facilities are basic but adequate - nice to see that tourists aren't pampered too much. The bamboo walls, beds with mosquito nets, cold showers and candles all add to the experience.

The food quality and flavour varies greatly from day to day but again, what do you expect when staying close to the elements? The bar area is comfortable with a good range of drinks, all very welcome at the end of a tiring day.

So, why have I only given a rating of two stars I hear you ask? The activities are poor.

The information given on the various treks to salt licks etc lead you to believe that the walks will be relatively short, interesting and enjoyable with the possibilty of seeing fascinating birds and animals. However, on every walk we did, within 20 minutes the leader started to give reasons why we may see very little!!

The walks were dull, with little of interest and all far longer than originally told. Now don't get me wrong, we'd hiked the Inca Trail the previous week, so we didn't find the walks tiring in any way - they were just very dull. Once at the destination, it became clear that the chance of actually seeing any creatures of interest was very low.

I realise that this is not a zoo but having completed various safaries in Kenya, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia we are used to leaving with at least a couple of memorable moments.

However, the visit to the local farm and the herbal walk, although a little contrived, were both enjoable and very informtive.

With hindsight, we would have avoided the treks and spent more time just enjoying the location - not really worth the time, effort or money though.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
DaniellelParker, Public Relations Manager at Posada Amazonas, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
As a representative of Rainforest Expeditions, I would like to apologize that you felt the activities were crowded. After two low years in tourism, this year we were caught off guard by the rebound. We did not prepare well for the large volume of confirmations in the high season. We are in the process of opening more trails and re-designing our programs so that activities and forest walks are less crowded and give greater possibilities of seeing wildlife. Thank you for your feedback. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.
Danielle Krautmann, Rainforest Expeditions

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011 via mobile

Be careful not to spend more than a day at Posada Amazones. The lodge is nice but the activities are too few and repetitive, with lots and lots wait time between activities. Be especially careful if you travel with active kids. Don't stay longer than a day. There are absolutely no activities included if you stay the 4th day, unless you like walking to a tree! One day is enough, but hardly worth the expense.

• Stayed August 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We had a wonderful time at the lodge. Ivo was our guide and he was fantastic! We could have not asked for a better 3 days. All the activities were very interesting. The food was good and the lodge was beautiful. The whole experience was more than we could have ever asked for. We saw a lot of different animals and had a wonderful time. I would reccomend this lodge to anyone.

The lodge also now has hot water!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed at this lodge with my 10 year old daughter for one night as part of a 5 day Amazon package booked with Rainforest Expeditions. Thankfully we only stayed one night here as it was just awful! And fortunately it was at the end, so it did not taint our time in the jungle.

Out only nice time at this lodge was with our guide who accompanied us for the full 5 days. We had a few nice treks into the jungle, but otherwise, this place is run pretty poorly compared to the toher 2 lodges we were lucky enough to stay in.

When we arrived, there were no managers or hot, wet towels to greet usas were in the other two lodges, we went to our room to find that as soon as we sat on one of the two beds, it stunk so heavily of stink and another person's sweat or body odor that I had to go and find housekeeping to change the bedding. When I approached them, they seemed irritated (three of them were sitting chatting, and I had to wait for them to finish to even ask). There were no apologies or anything as I showed her the bedding that I turned down to show that someone elses body hair and sweat stains were on the bedding. It was really unbelieveable. I get that this is the jungle and they only wash what they "have" to, but I paid a dear price for this excursion, and I believe in that, I deserve my own, clean bedding, not someone elses in hopes that I will not notice!

As for dinner and the bar area, it was an impossible wait for my daughter to get an Inka Cola as there was only one bartender, and she had no help, but about 50 people waiting for service and drinks prior to dinner. I felt bad for her, but worse for everyone else waiting...where was the manager to help??? He was pretty absent from everything for our whole stay!

My tour company had alerted this lodge that I am vegetarian as he did for the other lodges, and at dinner when he asked for my meal, I was brought a plate of cooked frozen style Carrots, Cauliflower and Broccoli - really?? I asked where the protein and starch components of my meal were, like rice or pasta and tofu or cheese. the man said there was some rice cooking, but it was not ready yet. As I watched my daghter and guide eat away, I waited looking at this disgusting, boiled vegetable plate waiting for SOMETHING I could eat. After about 20 minutes, my guide went to ask about the rice, etc. and with that, they said there was none. I asked to speak to the manager because I was starved, and my daughter and guide were done eating, and my daughter was tired, but I needed to eat. the manager also seemed irritated and bothered by my complaint and asked what was wrong with the vegetables. First of all, by this time they were more than cold, and also, i explained that being vegetarian means that you do not eat meat, but still need all food groups - vegetables, protein, starch. He said he gave me vegetables and I should just eat them. i asked him why the kitchemn told my guide more was coming in the way of rice and cooked cheese, and then all of a sudden there was none. he said they never were cooking that for me. He also said they would not be cooking anything further and I should find something at the buffet, and he actually walked away! I was stunned with this challenge, and disrespectful behaviour from the manager of the lodge, and the fact that when I followed him and asked him if he was concerned that I had paid to stay there just like everyone else, and would be going to bed hungry - he said it was not his problem. Fortunately, I travel with power bars and nuts, so That is what I ate for dinner! But I will never recommend this place for anyone to stay at - ask to stay at the other two lodges.

We were unable to sleep until late into the night because our room faced the common area, and there were loud, drunk people talking and carrying on loudly well into the night drowing out the jungle noises that we came to experience. the set up of the rooms is not condusive to a quiet, peaceful sleep, that's for sure!

At breakfast, we showed up at our table to eat before we departed, and there was a big bird dropping inbetween both of our place settings. I asked someone to come and clean the table before eating and at the very least, change out plates and cutlery. Again, I got the eye-rolling and sighs, and the fellow proceeded to come to the table with a wet j-cloth and just wipe it up - smear marks were left on the table, and he used no actual cleaning material to sterilize the table. needless to say, we were not hungry after that. It was disgusting to see how little this place cared about cleanliness and the health and safety of food service. YUCK!

Really, we were glad to get out of here. there was nothing good about the 24 hours we had at this lodge compared to the other two we stayed at (Refugio Amazonas & Tambopata Research Centre) which were awesome and totally accomodating (food and otherwise) - as well as super clean!

Stay somewhere else if you want a nice time in the jungle!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the common area which is noisy at night!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Returned from Puerto Maldonado jungle trip(Aug 3-9). Our family of 4 booked a 4 night trip to Puerto Maldonado thru Peruforless. Matt Greenberg from this agency assisted us with all the travel/lodging needs. His knowledge and advice was invaluable. Excellent individual and great agency.

I wouldnt have done all these by myself, not knowing local etiquette/language. Highly recommended with out a second thought.

Never encountered any problems with any of the travel arrangements done by Peruforless. All went seamlessly. Our stay at Posada Amazonas was extremely pleasant and adventurous. The food/guide and all arrangements to and from the jungles lodge to our respective destinations went without any issue.

Dont forget to carry 2 flash lights(at least 200 lumen) and plenty of Mosquito repellants though we didnt need much as four days were pretty dry but hot.

Once in a life time opportunity to see the amazing jungle. Even my 2 teens enjoyed without electricity and internet(very limited).

** By the way, Posada Amazonas jungle lodge has now hot water ****

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011 via mobile

Too structured and no time to relax and enjoy the surrounds. Great if you are looking for a Mickey mouse adventure tour. No privacy in the rooms, very early mornings and overpriced.

• Stayed June 2011
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had a great time at the lodge, all the guides were very knowledgeable and friendly & the food was amazing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Posada Amazonas? Share your experiences!