Amazing. We arrived at the research centre in Puerto Maldonado, Peru. This was a short and inexpensive flight from Cusco. Just use local airlines to get the best deal. Our boys were greated by the resident spider monkeys who held the hand of our 12 year old to show him around the forrest. From there we took a long boat ride up the river and trekked through the forrest to our lodge. We were thrilled to have our night lights with us! Once we arrived the lodge took our breath away. Great food, private and first class rooms that open to the jungle. Very few mosquitoes and hammocks to enjoy an afternoon nap after much information, animal and bird watching.
You have an option with this trip to stay longer and go further up the river. The great advantage is further up you see more birds and the macaws will come to the lodge and visit. The disadvantage is leaving the wonderful lodge for a more rustic camping style stay, but if birds are your thing and you don't care about luxury then do the extra days.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tambopata Research Center (TRC) is a spartan yet comfortable 18 bedroom lodge with 8 shared bathrooms. Because of its remote location in uninhabited wilderness, housing stable populations of endangered wildlife, the small scale of its infrastructure and operations and the presence of researchers and naturalist guides, Tambopata Research Center is an excellent headquarters for in depth explorations of Amazonian nature and wildlife. It is located in a half hectare clearing in the middle of the uninhabited portion of the Tambopata National Reserve, less than a kilometer from the world's largest and most diverse macaw claylick. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Tambopata Research Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tambopata Research Hotel Tambopata National Reserve
- Tambopata Research Center Peru/Tambopata National Reserve