“It's all about the snow here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Valle Nevado

You added Hotel Valle Nevado to your Saves list
Hotel Valle Nevado
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Camino Farellones s/n | Lo Barnechea - Santiago, 7690000, Chile   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Valle Nevado
San Diego, California
“It's all about the snow here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

THE BAD: The road up is dangerous often with winter conditions at the top. We use a private driver that drives the road frequently. The hotels can arrange it. The official bus up has people getting car sick from all the switchbacks. If you grab a random cab from SCL the driver may not ever have driven on snow before much less have 4 wheel drive or chains. (This has happened to us before) .All 3 of these old hotels have small rooms with tiny beds and pillows made of solid rock. TV is 8" square. Children monopolize the computers in the lobby 24/7. Though we always stay her in the winter(Sept) , the only fireplace in the whole resort which is in this hotel's lobby is always dark and cold---no fire in the entire ski resort!! This is what I miss the most. Architectural style is "cement slab" painted unnaturally bright colors.The food i bad in general. Stick with basic pasta. US prices for everything. I always lose weight here. Insure or watch your skis and boards closely---banditos!
THE GOOD: The skiing here is like nowhere else in the world. Wide open, treeless and groomed with spectacularly deep and dry snow. Many bluebird days are mild with the snow staying dry and sparkly since the air is soooo dry. A humidififier is a must and some may want eye and nose saline drops, too.It's easy to sunburn this far south-wear lots of sunscreen. I am told Valle Nevado has the only high-speed quad in S. America. Apres ski is a DJ rockin it on the outside patios and a hot tub on the deck that fits about 30 body- to -body. Pretty fun In Sept there are many Northern Hemisphere ski teams training here but other than that it's mostly S. Americans.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Valle Nevado in the middle of August 2011.
The lobby is beautifully decorated, with many couches and some computers with free internet, also free wifi only works there.
The rooms are very large and there were two single beds joined to look like a big double bed. There was a couch, and a big plasma tv, and many channels available. There was an ipod dock and an eletronic safe to put our passports and money. The bathroom was a good size, but a bit on the shower area. The products like shampoo, soap, etc, were excellent. There was a big wardrobe. Everyhting was very clean and confortable.
I needed to rent only snowboard boots and the rental services are very slow, you´ll find big lines if don´t get there very early.
The hotel has a ski room, where you leave your skis and boots in the end of the day and get them in the morning, and it exits very close to the slopes. The guy working there was very helpful.
The fitness center is alright, there is free classes of stretching and yoga in the afternoon, which is good, and many other equipments for working out.
At night, there is a Pub at the hotel Tres Puntas that offers pool table and live music, but it is never very crowded, in fact it is kind of empty most of the times. But it is better than nothing, at least it´s something to do at night after dinner.
The hot tub is located in the middle of the 3 hotels and is good to have it, but there´s only one and sometimes, especially at 5:30 it gets so crowded that you can barelly stay in without touching anyone around you.
Concerning breakfast at the hotel, it is very good, there is a big variety of food, including omelets prepared in front of you, but I think they could offer more fresh fruits, there are only dried or canned fruits.
About dinner: the two best restaurants are La Fourchete (french food) and Don Giovani (italian). The other at the hotel Puerta del Sol is an average buffet and the one at the Hotel Tres Puntas is terrible. But the first two are excelent, the food is amazing and you eat a lot!
But WATCH OUT FOR THE WAITERS! KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS OF THE DINNER BILLS! When I checked out, I was verifying all the values on the receipts kept by me and the ones the reception received from the restaurants and they were different!!! The waiters altered the amount of money in the bill after I signed the bill and left the restaurant and I´m sure they are succesfull in their scheme because many people don´t keep the receipts! These waiters should be identified and fired imediately.
But skiing there is great, the slopes are nice, although the lift operators are not very nice and helpful.
In all, I would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: best rooms are those with the varandas facing a valley, instead of the ones facing the slopes.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed at the "five" star property at Valle Nevado, Chile with my family and a group of 10 "gringos" in a total of 7 rooms. The hotel is three stars at best. The rooms are rundown and have no sense of style. We were charged US$1,550 a room (to be fair dinner & lift tickets were included for two people). The St. Regis in Aspen is much less money. In fact I can't think of a hotel I have every stayed at where the relation between cost and quality was so distorted. If would have been far less expensive and more enjoyable to stay at the Ritz Carlton or W Hotel in Santiago and pay the US$300 helicopter ride each day to ski....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

snow is dry,powder,more than 60 kilometers of runs , the room is OK , big , but without luxe.the food at forchette restaurant is nice.final.all the others restaurants are terrible , with very bad service , the front desk is completely lost , the ski rental is zero...but the snow....worth.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

My husband and I spend our winters usually skiing in Vail, Colorado and Alta/Snowbird, Utah so needless to say skiing in September was an additional treat for us. Despite being the tail end of the ski season, spring skiing in Andes was pretty glorious.
Front desk service: 2.5-3(and only because we loved Pia and Javier) otherwise I would have given 1

We arrived at the resort around 11am and was promptly ignored for few hours because check in wasn't until 4pm. We were given no options or instructions on what to do and stood waiting with our luggage for good 40 minutes. Finally our luggage was put in storage but we still didn't know what to do for 4-5 hours. Finally I had to ask the front desk for options and basically used my common sense to just walk around the resort and grab lunch. I could have gone skiing right away but I was still trying to adjust to the altitude and by this time our bags were locked in storage. This was disappointing since when we arrived at Ritz Carlton in Santiago around 8am the day before, they let us check in right away and even upgraded our room to the executive suite for making us wait for about 15 minutes. Finally, after our 2nd night, we ran into Pia, the most wonderful front desk hotelier who spoke English and helped us throughout our stay. Javiar, front desk manager was also very helpful as well. Through out our stay we basically waited until Pia and Javier was on duty for any questions or services since others at the front desk did not speak English and had no interest in even trying to help us.

Room: 3.5
The room was a typical ski lodge room. Nothing fancy but it wasn't terrible. Bathroom was a bit out dated but even that wasn't as bad until one of the metal coat hanger in the hall way fell on me! To boot, there was two(2) twin beds stuck together verses one queen or king…..By this time, I was extremely irritated. I didn't want to spend the next 8 days sliding around at night separated from my husband.

Housekeeping: 3.5
Things turned out positive though. House keeping came right away and fix the hanger and converted our bed into a king(I'm not sure how but they were able to merge the two beds so it wouldn’t separate).

Spa: 2
This was definitely a disappointment since normally spa is something I look forward to every time we travel. I also can't say really anything nice about the people at the spa. There was one man who was nice and took our appointments but rest of the crew was pretty unhelpful. The actual message itself was nice but rest of the spa experience was pretty non friendly. Our last day at Valle Nevado was also the hotel's last day. We wanted to stay longer so we requested a private car to pick us up at 5pm. We were told that we can shower at the spa before we left. It turned out most of the lift closed at 3pm and when we went back to the spa, there were no towels left. Employees were giving each other manicures and grew annoyed at the guest for wanting to use the restroom(all the other restrooms at the hotel was locked up by this point). I give the spa 2 for being so non relaxation friendly.

Food: 4
I have to say the restaurants is probably what makes this place possibly a 4 star. With exception of the buffet which was a horrible experience. For some odd reason we needed to make reservations each night at the 3 restaurants that was available: the buffet, Italian and French(because we went such late season we had option of only 3). The 2nd night we made reservations at the buffet for 7:30pm but the hostess had us for 8:30pm. By this time the hotel was operating with probably 25 % capacity and there were plenty of seats at the restaurant but the hostess refused to let us have our dinner early. The food at the buffet was just as unimpressive. However, Don Giovanni and La Fourchette is just amazing! The food at these two places were truly fine dining and the staff was simply wonderful(thank you Felipe!) I do have to make a comment about the water too though. I think water should be included with meals and we shouldn't have to pay extra.

Advice to future travelers:
Wine, snacks, water, sunscreen etc is all very very expensive at Valle Nevado so I would recommend brining them from Santiago. Others who's been at the resort before all loaded up and didn't have to pay premium prices with 200% mark ups.

Overall: 3
My experience in Chile was simply amazing but I have to say I would want to try out Portillo and La Parva for comparison next year. Valle Nevado has a lot of potential but they really need to focus on customer service training and maintaining the quality same for all employees. We certainly had our favorite people, Javier, Pia, Felipe and Rodrigues but not all staff had the same level of professionalism and exceptional hospitality.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

Best trip ever! Will be back for sure. Stated at Tres Puntas and I was worried about how id like it compared to usually staying at Luxury hotels but it was fine!!! Great service. Friendly employees. Loved it! Skiing phenomenal!! Food mediocre but wasn't there for that anyway!!

• Stayed September 2010
Wenatchee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Expensive, but definitely NOT 5 star, in fact the other two hotels on the hill are mediocre also. Remember you are staying right on the slopes (this is why it is expensive). But skiing in August is fun, so take your chances when you book, you might have a great powder week or a not so great ice skiing week.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Valle Nevado? Share your experiences!