“Memorable trip in Pantanal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Pousada Ecoverde

You added Hostel Pousada Ecoverde to your Saves list
Hostel Pousada Ecoverde
Rua Pedro Celestino, 391 - Centro, Cuiaba, State of Mato Grosso, Brazil (City Center)   |
Ranked #1 of 61 Specialty Lodging in Cuiaba
Los Angeles, California
“Memorable trip in Pantanal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My friend and I got into contact with Ecoverde through a staff at the Cuiaba airport, after our original plan went disarray. The whole experience has been wonderful. The owner of Ecoverde, Joel, was able to arrange a three-day trip that suited our schedule to Pantanal departing the next morning. Joel also offered to let us stay at his Pousada Ecoverde for two nights for free.

1. Pousada Ecoverde

Upon entering the pousada, we were taken by its unique decoration, ambience and character. Every corner of the house is surrounded by soft music. There is also a garden in the backyard that Joel cultivated over the years, amidst the rising skyscrapers in the fast developing city. We had breakfast there while watching the birds and trees, a preview into what would be a great trip to Pantanal. I would say the place is reasonably clean and comfortable for the price and meets my needs. I was very happy to have stayed there, rather than some uncharacteristic hotel.

2. Pantanal Trip

Our guide Santos, with over twenty years of experience, is very knowledgeable and humorous and speaks perfect English. He carries with him all the equipment you need to observe wildlife in detail and is an excellent photographer. During the three days, he guided us through the jungles hiking, boating and horse riding, making sure that we were safe and sound and at the same time getting most out of what Pantanal has to offer. We watched the amazing sunrise and sunset and went on a night safari under a skyfull of stars. My interest in nature was boosted from literally zero to very high. We spent one night in Pousada Alegre and one night in Pousada Rio Clarinho. The two places are also reasonably clean and comfortable considering that they are in the middle of the farms. The food is nice. They are very different although close-by and offered us various aspects of Pantanal. We also met very nice fellow travelers along the way, adding to this memorable trip.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Leipzig, Sachsen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We booked our tour to the Pantanal with Ecoverde. This trip was a unique experience and worth every real we spent on it. Luiz our guide introduced us to the wildlife (birds, jaguars etc.). Afterwards Joel, the organizer and owner of the pousada, let us stay for free.

Some words about the accomodation: People have complained about dog crap and the sex shop across the street. And that there were no place to get a decent meal nearby.

I think if you have a dog things happen every once in a while (even in Suburbia). The question is if and how fast you clean up the mess. When we were there everything was clean and tidy...

Sex shops are common in some countries even in good neighborhoods (actually there is one right around the corner from my place in Germany). The one (actually the two - there is another one down the road) is not more offensive than a barber shop or a bakery.

When it comes to decent meals I recommend asking the people who run the place one is staying at for advice. In Ecoverde's case they would have told their guests to take a left when leaving the pousada, walk some 100 meters and find a plaza with three or four restaureants that serve great homecooked meals from noon to midnight.

Don't get me wrong. Ecoverde is a backpackers' place. You don't get a private bathroom. No room service either (Joel might give you some Chacaca though if you asked nicely). But it is clean, inexpensive and has a unique reamlike atmosphere. And the friendliest hosts imaginable...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Berrigan, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Tried reviewing earlier this year, but couldnt get it to post. trying again. Had a great time on the tour, saw a few jaguars, and lots of other wildlife. Pousada itself was pretty cool, lots of old record players and the like, very cool if you are into old antiques. Owner knows alot, can ask him whatever and he will know, or find out. Will definitely be back one day, next year.

Room Tip: USe the hammocks! Do the tours, longer the better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Friendly,homely, safe , nice and clean. Unlimited free access to the internet. Delicious breakfast is served in a nice and typical backyard. The owner, Joel and his family really help me in all my adventures in Cuiabá and Pantanal. Great value. I really recommend it.

I recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cologne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I spent one and a half nights in the Pousada Ecoverde and can recommend it very much!
Right after entering the place you get swept away by the extremly laid back interior and atmosphere: Lots of paintings and pictures of fauna and flora cover the walls, there are some couches and many hammocks to relax in and listen to the nice selection of music beying played in the backyard, as well as in the very cozy inner yard. With all the books and shelves around it has a quite chaotic, warm charm.
For me it was most amazing to see the long stretching backyard with many different and high trees, speding cover for both tourists and a variety of bird species (including a few chickens). Especially amazing considering that this Pousada is very close to the city center. Besides birds, a small fluffy dog and two cute cats are calling this place their home and strolling around. I really liked to watch them play while relaxing in the hammock. Also very much to my liking was the 'hammock-zone' in the backyard: There are a few hammocks hanging right next to each other so you can have nice conversations with other travellers in a most comfortable position. The place also has a roof, so you can even do this during thunder storms, if you please.
The one breakfast i recieved was very nice: It was freshly pressed orange juice, bread with cheese, ham and all sorts of jams, one fried egg and even a piece of watermelon. More than i had expected really! The rooms are good, but in a place like this the private rooms should not be the place to spend most of your times anyways ;)
One of the biggest pluses for me was the owner of the Pousada, Joel. Even though i was not staying for long he was extremely helpful to me. He explained where to find specific stores in the city center and even let me store all my luggage in a locked room after i already checked out of the Pousada. I had to catch a flight very early on tuesday morning (4.30 am) and Joel's place was booked out the night from monday to tuesday. Since i would not have needed a room for the entire night anyways, but was eager to get at least some sleep, he simply offered me to rest in one of the hammocks until my airport transfer. Really nice and absolutely nothing you can expect everywhere!
When i come back to Cuiabá this will be my place to stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

A charmy pousada with a nice hanging out area, hammocks, garden, old good music playing. We appreciated its charm and character after alot of places just the same. Really helpful staff! The owner even followed us to the airport when we missad our flight. Its also close to the mainstreet in that area. Could be a bit more cleaning but thats it. Thanks Joel for good 3 days! Anna and seb

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cuiabá, Mato Grosso, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hostel is a very nice place to stay, the atmosphere is really good and relaxed, a relief after travelling for some time. Hammocks to relax in, antic radios playing different tunes in the garden, and in the roofed courtyard. Here you can meet other travellers or chat with the very friendly owner who helps you with everything (Brazilian do~s and don~t, sight seeing around, bus times etc.)
The owner arranges very good tours into the pantanal, of which I highly recommend the four day trip into the Pantanal. We had a very good english guide, who knew a lot about birds mammals of the pantanal. He also recognized them by sound. We were lucky enough to see 6 jaguars, giant otters, southern caotis and many other.
The bird watching already starts in the garden of the lovely hostel. Books of all the birds and the mammals of the pantanal are available to look in before or after your trip into the Pantanal.
I recommend this hostel and the Pantanal trip to everybody. When you book a trip the nights in the hostel are free, and a nice breakfast is included.
it is a bit messy, but friendly host, music around, nature books, and nice square close to the hostel to eat and try the Samba, make this place really special. Certainly a place to visit or come back..! One advice: Try to bring something of your country to leave here; Joel will be most grateful.
Kindly,
Doris and Rose

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Pousada Ecoverde? Share your experiences!