“Not so bad” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Eastern Shore MD
“Not so bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

My husband and I went here for a couple reasons. First to see if it would be on our list of regular choices and second to see if it was as good as I've heard the one in Canton is. We both ordered the special of Steak and crab cake. We both chose our steaks to be done medium. I ordered my crab cake broiled and my husband ordered his fried. I don't think my husband's was fried because mine, which had clearly been broiled, was darker than his. The crab cake was exactly like a crab cake should be -- all lump meat with very little binder. In fact, my husband's fell apart on his plate. The strip steak, while cooked to the correct temperature, was disappointing. It was very thin and had almost no flavor. A better quality steak with a little more thickness, even if it cost a couple dollars more, would have been better. Even a thick piece of sirloin would have been better than the steak we were served. The crab cake was so good, it deserved a better cut of beef to compliment it.

The side salad, asparagus and baked potatoes were fine and the iced tea was fresh. Our server was fantastic. I have to say I watched the service at all the tables around us and from what I could see, they've taken the comments on here regarding service to heart. All the servers were diligent in taking orders, checking on customers and making sure customers were satisfied.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore, Maryland
“Good food, nice place; we'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We vacationed in Fenwick about two weeks ago and liked this place so much the first time that we went back, so we ate there twice, one dinner and one lunch, within a week. Let me say up front that the food and decor here isn't very Irish at all, so if that's what you're looking for, you'll probably be disappointed (maybe the beer and drink selection is more Irish-inspired but I can't comment on that, as I didn't look at those items). What it is, though, is a newly remodeled, good restaurant/pub with great food and good prices. We first went for dinner, and 3/4 of us all ordered the same entrée---a fish special. It was delicious and a good sized portion--not small and not huge. The other member of the party ordered a salad with an add-on of shrimp. The salad was very good, and the shrimp large and tasty. We got dessert...the standard restaurant peanut butter pie and a very rich chocolate cake...both were good. We went back a few days later for lunch and were very happy with the sandwiches that we ordered. I ordered shrimp salad; it was made with large shrimp and was very fresh. The rest of our party ordered sandwiches, and were also pleased with their choices. On both occasions, our waitresses were friendly and efficient. This place just opened up this summer. It used to be another restaurant, and I'm happy to say that these owners completely renovated and refreshed the place; it is bright, fresh and clean, and you can choose to eat in the dining room or the pub. We'll definitely go back the next time we're at the beach.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Nickel-and-Dime Joint!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Thinking there was something "Irish" about this place (very little, if anything), I ordered Jameson-on-the-rocks; was charged $8US for the booze PLUS $1US for the "rocks"! Allowing for a heavier pour, this practice is apparently SOP, although on the high side, of which I was unaware after 50 years of drinking. While remarking about the desired chunky-ness of the blue cheese dressing, our server offered another, which resulted in an additional $0.50US charge. My wife requested additional gravy for her meatloaf sandwich, resulting in an additional $0.50US. C'mon! Raise your prices marginally across the board to cover your food costs and stop nickel-and-diming your customers. Until then, I won't be back and neither will the three others in my group, even though the food at face value and service were both adequate.

Ocean City, Maryland
“A LONG wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We're OC locals, so we hoped we could add this to our list of "regulars." That won't happen. A wait of over an hour for our food, with our waiter coming back 3 times to say "it's on the way," has nixed that idea. (Friends have told us they waited even longer). And this was on a Tuesday, not a weekend.

The seafood club I had was pretty good, with shrimp on one level and a small crab cake on another. My wife's prime rib sandwich was unwieldy to eat as a sandwich and a little crazy to eat with a knife and fork, since it was served on a sub roll. The meat was also a little thin, with some fat.

The restaurant was warm in the back, where we were seated. Large front windows were open and it seemed, even on a very humid night, that the a/c had been turned off.

I may try Claddagh again in the off-season to see if the've pulled it together. Then, again, maybe not.

Visited August 2014
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Don't sit by the drink condiment well at the bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Seen the restaurant and the name caught my eye as I have been to Ireland and wanted my 23 yr old son to experience their type of food as he wasn't with us on our trip. Upon pulling in, their were a few cars in the lot and asked a women coming out of the restaurant what the food was like and she commented she was biased as she was the owner, she explained it had more American type food then Irish. We went into the Pub side and sat at the bar, the bartender from Pittsburgh was pleasant and our appetizer of onion straws was delivered quickly as we ordered a hamburger well done and a breaded chicken sandwich. It was the best hamburger I have ever eaten ( it was medium well at the least) as my son commented on how good his chicken sandwich was also. As we sat finishing our meal a middle aged couple came in and sat beside us at the bar, the bartender (Chris) I think was trying to impress them with his bar skills and opened the drink condiment container quickly and knocked my sons Sprite a full glass over and down all over his chest and lap. Why it is on top of the bar I don't know as my son had jokingly commented about helping himself to the olives. Needless to say he drove back to Ocean City totally soaked and sticky. The music was the furthest from a Irish Pub as I at least expected it to be, no Irish food on the menu and the bartender explained most people go to Shenanigans for that type of atmosphere?

• Visited July 2014