“A Very good family motel with cheap rate.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fenwick Islander Motel

and 1 more site!
You added Fenwick Islander Motel to your Saves list
Fenwick Islander Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   Ocean Highway & South Carolina Avenue, Fenwick Island, DE 19944   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fenwick Island
New York City, New York
“A Very good family motel with cheap rate.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

It's a very good motel for families. Good location, cheap price, nice rooms, outdoor pool and quiet environment. I stayed there for 3 days in the weekend. I had an excellent vacation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I decided at the last minute to take a my daughter on a surprise trip to Delaware/Maryland on our way we checked Trip Advisor and found the Fenwick Islander. I was delighted to see the clean rooms that includes a kitchenette. The staff gave a very warm feeling anytime they were in contact with any of the guests and answered any questions I had about places to go in the area. I will be recommending the Fenwick Islander to all of my friends and family that will be visiting the area and will be back again myself soon. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

The room reeked of mold, making it almost unbearable to stay in it. There were two enormous flies in the room when we checked in. The hall/entrance light kept switching on and off on its own both nights we were there. The shower was ridiculously narrow - half the width of a standard shower. It's so narrow that you can't stand in it without having one shoulder pressed into the wall and the other shoulder pressed against the moldy shower curtain. My friends and I were absolutely disgusted with our stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I chose this motel due to its proximity to Maryland (5 minutes walk), because I wanted to spend a night in Delaware, and also because it was ranked #1 on Trip Advisor, (even though there are dozens of motels in Fenwick Island, only 3 of them had been ranked on Trip Advisor). The next day, we would go to Maryland, so it seemed to be a perfect choice.

When we got it, the young lady at the front desk stayed sit and seemed to be surfing on the internet. No big deal for us, except that when we asked if we needed a password for the Wi-Fi, she said that the rooms did not have the internet!!! She then said that we could sometimes pick-up a signal from another location, if we'd go at the end of the hall... At $115 per night, I would've thought they would at least provide the Internet! We finally never managed to pick-up a signal from "the other location"...

When we got into the room, it had a strong humidity odor. My girlfriend immediately noticed a dead bug inside the room, next to our front door. To me, it was no big deal, but it bacame a bigger deal when we saw the bathroom, which was not cleaned well. Even though I can't say it was dirty in itself, there was stains of urine in & on the toilet bowl.

The rest of the room seemed to be clean, but not super-clean.

The beds were comfortable. Everything but the missing internet was ok in general. The location of the motel was great, a few minutes from both the Maryland and the Ocean. The area seemed safe, and there were several tourist attractions, restaurants, and Mini-Golf, especially, in the area. We ate at TC Dinner, 3 blocks away from the motel, and both the service & the food were excellent (Recommended for lunch/dinner - Huge meals for a good price).

We heard footsteps & doors several times during our stay. We were Friday night, but it seems the motel could be a bit more soundproofed. Again, it the price would have been $70, I wouldn't have complained, but at the price of a Hampton, I think our overall stay could've been a bit better, especially since they didn't even offer breakfast in the morning! Only the coffee was provided...

It was not mediocre, but for the price, I think I should've looked a bit deeper and off Trip Advisor in Fenwick Island for a better choice...

Hockessin, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

The hotel is always clean with fair rates. The location one block from the ocean is great. It's a nice family run business.

Princeton Junction
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

Went for a few days with my husband. We were looking for a decent place that wouldn't break the bank. We're serious beach people and do not spend much time in our room, although I can be quite pickey. The Fenwick Islander is quite nice, although from the outside you might question it since the building is a "mom and pop" old-style motel and a little worn around the edges. Also, some of the people seemed a bit shakey, but it turned out that there was quite a mix. What I didn't realize is that the motel is right on the main road, so make sure you ask for a room on the back. Our room looked over the canal (lagoon) and it was nice to get up in the morning and sit on our private balcony and have breakfast and read the paper. The room was very nice, clean and had a super comfortable king bed. There was a very small refrigerator, stove and tv. No clock, so bring a travel alarm or use your cell phone. The pool brochure pictures are a bit misleading as the pool is rather small and smushed right next to the motel, but we went to the beach, so it wasn't a big deal to us. The beach is very close to the motel and was very nice. Big and not crowded. Nice array of people of all ages. The Fenwick area wasn't quite as nice as we expected, but it grew on us. The motel is in the busiest area, but around the corner (very short driving distance) were two delicious restaurants, Harpoon Hannahs and Catch 54. Then down the road we had a great Italian meal at Mancini's. None of these places are cheap, but since the food was good we didn't complain. A lot of times you find only fair food in beach towns. Bethany Beach is 5 miles north and Ocean City is 146 blocks to the boardwalk. We never made it there. Four blocks south of the hotel is the Maryland/Delaware border. Honey Tonk starts right on the border. If the water had been warmer, we would have swum from Maryland to Delaware as a joke. Fun place. We'll go back for sure. Can't beat the price!

Pasadena, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

This was a last minute trip. I had 2 days to plan and looked all over on the web for Ocean city motels and the beaches in De trying to get the best value. Also checked out some of the towns outside the beaches...Salisbury, Seaford, etc. We wanted no frills, just a place to sleep Kind of motel. Fenwick Islander had one of the better rates for a Friday-Sunday stay.
They offered late check in, which was great since we got there at 10:00pm. The few motel workers I came into contact with, also while making reservations, were very nice. Pool was nice and clean. The AC in our room worked Great ( BBrrr) Room was clean, basic room, nothing bad nothing exciting and the beds were comfortable. Just what my husband, 4 year old and I needed. It's a block from the beach. May want to get a room on the bayside if you want it quieter, or you'll be facing the street with all the cars up and down at night. My only complaint...no elevator, but it's only 3 floors and I'm lazy haha. I'd stay again

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
tomsites, General Manager at Fenwick Islander Motel, responded to this review, June 27, 2010
Thank you for your review during your stay. These reviews are very helpful in making our services better in the future. We pride ourselves on clean comfortable rooms close to the beach. Our bayside rooms do offer a more private setting but some do like the night life seen on the front of the motel, especially during the car shows that frequent the area. We look forward to having you with us again in the future!

Been to Fenwick Islander Motel? Share your experiences!