“Nasty” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Fenwick Island
Delaware
“Nasty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Wife and I stayed here while building our house at the shore. One word can describe this place. NASTY. Pets are allowed and it smells like it. This place needs to be demolished and turned in to a pet park or something

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dover, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

it was nice that it had a nice clean pool, very close to beach(1 block beachside) that wasnt crowded, and the people who worked there were a+, the room itself for the price was d-. reasons: walked bearfoot and feet ended up black(carpet had a grose feeling to it), air conditioners were sad, dirty little things that really didnt do much but make LOTS of rattling noise. didnt fit in windows i guess. the front door didnt close well as plenty of light came in. it even rained causing the carpeting within 1foot of door to become soaked. had to put towels in windows to stop the water from coming in. the bathroom tiles had dirty grout(brown), had lights out in room, no outdoor light for each room. sofa bed mattress was wafer thin and lumpy. t.v. didnt work in bedroom and there was no internet/wifi. think you had togo near office to get a connection. the place just was outdated badly and felt dirty. the suite did have dishes to use, a large refrigerator, microwave, a baby stove/oven and big table to eat /sit at and we didnt see any bugs. had to pay extra for kids over 10. $10.00 extra a day per person. we had a suite that could sleep 6 but i guess the limit is 2 people per room. that seemed alittle outrageous to us. dont expect much here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I rented two rooms for my family through priceline, when I got to the hotel, the front desk staff were having a hard time not only locating my reservation but also finding out how much I had to pay for my rooms. They have no computer database for their guests just papers every where and they tried to over charge me for the rooms even though I was already quoted a rate through priceline. The lobby is very very dirty, there are animals every where even leaping over the counter. I never experienced a place as unprofessional as this. The rooms are another story, the blinds on the windows barely keep out the sun, the bathroom is filthy and there is a ring around the toilet. There was no privacy when using the restroom because the restroom door would not close, it seemed like the door was too big for its space. The toilet seat kept wobbling and there were flies every where. Also we stayed there for two days and never got any housekeeping service. I felt so embarassed that I booked my family this nasty disgusting hotel. Next time I'll make sure to read the reviews before booking online

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I had a suite, which they called an apartment, for $199/night, with a full kitchen. (Regular rooms, at $129, were sold out.)
The place was built in the 1930s, they told me, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by some of its foibles:
1. The vertical blinds on the bedroom window was not very good about keeping out daylight, so I woke up earlier than I would have otherwise.
2. There was no alarm clock and no phone (in the cellphone era, they probably figure there's no need), so I couldn't get a wakeup call (but the blinds --- see above --- and the firm/hard/uncomfortable mattress --- see below --- made that a moot point.)
3. Did I mention the mattress was extra firm/hard and uncomfortable? Virtually every motel/hotel I stay at I find this to be the case. My guess is they buy extra firm mattresses, because they probably last longer than soft ones. (I'm spoiled by my Select Comfort mattress at home.)
4. Only one of the electrical sockets had the grounding hole (two holes rather than three), so I had to unplug the TV to plug in my laptop. But by unplugging the TV, it screwed up the cable, and I couldn't figure out how to restore it.
5. The faucets of the sinks and bathtub are so old, when you first turn them on, you get a sudden burst of water before the flow normalizes.
6. Perhaps most disconcerting of all was the lack of full WiFi (Hello? This is the 2st century, isn't it?). If you asked, they'd give you the owner's account password, which you could tap into; but the signal was so weak, you could only use it out on the porch. When I took my laptop inside, I lost the signal.
Given all of the above, the place is overpriced, and I can't recommend the Sands.

Room Tip: At $129/night, this place is probably as inexpensive as you'll find during beach season, if you...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Bumpass, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband usually stays at The Sands when he's working in the area and when we were trying to find somewhere to take a last-minute trip with the kids, before school started, he suggested here and Fenwick Island. Knowing that my husband chooses his lodging based on price, and they are usually places I, myself, wouldn't stay- I was hesitant. But the price was right and the beach, not a motel room, was our main destination.

During our 5+ hours drive there, I read every review I could read on the place, and was becoming a bit concerned. My husband promised it would be ok, and thankfully, he was right!

The Sands IS an older motel, and though some fixtures/furniture needs updating, the place is clean and the room was roomy enough for the 5 of us. We had an efficiency, which had 2 beds (plus a rollaway), a stove/oven, refrigerator and microwave. And the best part- the beach was within walking distance, right behind the motel! Because this is further down from the "touristy" strip of Ocean City, the beach was private and quiet. And when we wanted the "touristy", we just drove down the road, 10-15 minutes, to get there.

All in all, if you're not super-picky, stay here. If you are a mother like me, who worries about where their children lay their heads, it'll be fine. No bed bugs, no bugs of any sorts. Clean beds. We will DEFINITELY stay here again. Not only because the price is right, but because the location is also!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hurlock, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

checked in with mary MAKE SURE YOU GET A RECEIPT. should of checked room first refrig door wouldnt stay shut shower head missing slats in blinds missing HAD TO PUT BLANKET UP TO WINDOW a/c so loud couldnt hear tv window rattles where a/c is. stayed for 2 nights first night went back to hotel 2 employees in room said they didnt have any record of anyone staying in room. I paid for 2 nights they said i only paid for 1 obviously with no receipt i couldnt prove it. yOU WOULD THINK CLERK WOULD OF GIVEN ME ONE. SIGNED CHECK-IN FORM BEFORE CLERK FILLED OUT AMOUNT. DID NOT FEEL VERY SAFE HERE. WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Central PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stayed at the Sands this past weekend and took our little dog along. It's not easy to find pet-friendly accommodations, although there are more options in the off-season. We normally camp in Fenwick in July every year so we're familiar with the area which is why we wanted to stay here. We also didn't want to spend a lot of money considering we wouldn't be there except to sleep and shower. It was very basic. The motel is very old and is also up for sale which explains why they haven't bothered to update anything. Our room was very small. The paneling was warped and painted over, the carpet worn, and there was a pretty large gap around the doorway. I worried about the security of the door, so we took our dog along out with us almost all the time. The bathroom was clean, but again, the tile was old and cracked. The water did smell and taste very metallic, so I bought bottled water to brush my teeth. The smell of the water hung in my hair. There was also no outlet in the bathroom for a hairdryer, which was awkward. I also had to have my husband kill a couple spiders on the wall and dresser, so I kept my suitcase zipped up tight.
On another note, the staff was friendly, some good morning coffee conversations, and I'm sure if we really would have needed anything they would have been more than happy to help. But I can't say we'll be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sands Motel? Share your experiences!