“Blue Village never again” 1 of 5 stars

Aruba Blue Village Suites
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cunucu Abao 37, Noord, Aruba   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Noord
Spain
“Blue Village never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

We have been in Blue Village in February 2008.
We did not expect any luxuries, but Blue Village is the worst what we have ever seen.
The accouterment and furnishing is the last one. You have to ask for simple things like an ashtray or coffe-machine. There is no hot water in the kitchen, no bung in the discharge, the refrigerator noisy like an airbus, the TV has dropouts and lot's more of bad things.
The cleaning is not that it has to be and the staff like slipping pills.
They have about 100 apartments but only 1 or 2 racks to dry clothes and 1 flat-iron. In deed, very cheap things.
They have a bar with music directly closed to the apartments, opening at 10/11 am and closing at night. That means no quietness all day long.

Resumed, Blue Village is not to recommend for a relaxing vacation. We will come back to Aruba for sure, but with a great curve arround Blue Village.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
St Louis, MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

It is certainly a "budget" hotel although we were paying 150$/night for a 1 room suite. The bar is alright with some activity every night, the pools are ok, and the staff is usually helpful (although they refused to give us more than one clean towel at a time and our room was only cleaned once in the 6 nights we were there).
But we had several problems:
#1 There is no hot water. It is supposedly heated by the sun but I tried at all times of the day and never got anything above tepid and at night it was ice cold.
#2 The beds are very hard. In our first room the bed was circular and it felt like we were sleeping on a box spring. The staff did switch us to a different room that had a thin but at least bearable mattress.
#3 Despite the upgrade the A/C units do not seem to be adequate for the room size. In our second room it constantly was breaking and making loud clicking sounds, dripping water on to the floor and eventually spitting water on to the bed making for a very unpleasant last night.
#4 Our rooms were infested with mosquitos coming from an unknown source. We spent a good deal of time killing them only to have more appear even without any doors or windows open.
#5 The rooms seemd in disrepair. Some of the walls and ceilings were in desperate need of a paint job with stains and cracks. Neither room had all the lights working with one room only having tiny red tinted lights. In one room the toliet paper was on the floor because the holder was broken.
I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Availabliity
  • Disliked — the hard beds and poor A/C units
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

I've been staying at ABV several times a year since 2004. They have gone through several upgrades and any negative review prior to 2006 should not be considered accurate. The staff is great, the food at the bar is great, rooms have had a makeover and that project is ongoing, lobby is new and they now have a very large "MINI MART" with lots of choices. Relaxing atmosphere with 2 clean pools. The neighborhood around ABV is now new houses and one of the finest restaurants on the Island is next door. Madame Jeanett's. Still the BEST FOR THE BUCK- US $ OR FL. I used to just stay there for business and stay at a resort when on vacation. NOW IT'S ABV ALL THE WAY!

• Liked — clean and convenient-no steps and close parking
  • Disliked — no hot water in bath- but you really don't need it.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

we stayed in a 2 room appartement with 2 adults and 3 childern (11,12 en 15) en we really liked it. It is quiet en clean. It is simple and basic but if you know that in advance there is no problem at all.
The personel is very kind, there is a little but very nice, cheap restaurant.
The only thing you should know is you really need a car.
But when you want to see the eiland, you need a car anyway. (ca. 200 dollar a week) Next time we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2005
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2005

I booked 1 week in ABV for the first week of my holiday and I have to say that it's was very bad, I only stayed 2 nights and moved away to a proper holiday resort, The staff was helpfull but the "studio" we had was horrible with old furniture and everything old, 75$ a night was a lot of money to pay for this dump. I don't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2005

Our search for Aruba Blue Suites took us through some of the not so developed (not touristy) parts of Aruba, and upon our arrival, we spotted several goats from the neighborhood munching on the lawn by the pool. Oh no, I said to myself, what have I gotten us into. Don't you dare tell your father about the goats dining al fresco, I said to my daughter. Was this place, in fact, a dump as two other posters on this forum suggested? Luckily for both of us, it wasn't a dump - although by the standards of the Hyatts and Marriotts of the world, it probably is. But my daughter and I would have no qualms about returning to Aruba Blue (without my husband, whose lodging standards are much higher than ours). This is a place that isn't fancy, but it's very clean. Plus the price is right - cheap. This place definitely isn't a Holiday Inn or Hyatt, but in its own category (I'd say it's a one and a half star place) it's very good, in my opinion. The beach is a nine-minute car ride away. We timed the drive from Eagle Beach, which we preferred to Palm Beach where all the high rise hotels are. This is a place where you probably will definitely need a car. We had booked a studio through Expedia but upon our arrival we were given a two-bedroom suite at no additional charge. The studios, we learned, had been given to Dutch college students on the island to do student teaching and other assignments. (Lucky them!!) My daughter and I strolled through this area, which looked like party central. But this area is separated from the rest of the motel, and we didn't hear any noise from the student area. Plus they have their own pool. Many, if not the majority of those staying there, were from Europe. Americans like us, while present, seemed to be in the minority. Aruba Blue definitely had a European ambiance, which my daughter, who has lived in Europe, loved. The one drawback - at least in our suite - was the kitchen. There wasn't an oven, and the microwave needed a new cord. Consequently we didn't use the microwave although we really didn't have much reason to use it anyway. Instead of a two-ring hot plate, the place should be updated to include three or four counter burners. And there should be more lights in the living room area and a less noisy air conditioner. The surrounding neighborhood includes a variety of housing from rather luxurious to low income. And right next door is Madame Janette, a great restaurant that is very popular with local residents and visitors alike. In fact, we liked it so much, we ate there twice. And so should you. Our visit was Jan. 4-10, 2005.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2005

We stayed at the Aruba Blue for 9 nights. from 12/28/05-1/7/05 The staff was very, very friendly and helpful.
The Large room was very clean and had all we needed except hot water. When I asked at the desk I was told to take my shower late in the day and the sun would warm up the water by then. After the first shock I did get used to it and laughed about it later. My husband described it as bare bones hotel. The room faced the pool and as you entered there were 4 single beds (box spring and mattress no head boards), 2 beds were pushed together to make a full. The problem with that was during the night I often found the beds split and me falling down the middle.

Large table with 4 chairs, small refrigerator, microwave, toaster, 2 burner hot plate, pots, silverware and all the plates ect. that you could need to make a meal.

Air conditioner was ok (kind of loud), had clean towels, and housekeeping every day except Sunday.

* You do need a car if you stay here or you will be kind of stuck there. The street that leads into the Aruba Blue had a lot of pot holes and was covered with about a foot of water (in a few places) ever time it rained which was every night while we were there. It took 2 of us to navigate the road ever time we ventured out.
Madame Janetts’ restaurant is right beside the Blue and is a wonderful place to eat (must book in advance).

There was a small store, and a bar, the bar served light breakfast and other meals , the prices looked very reasonable. We did not try anything there but other people did.

We also go 20 min. of free internet access ever day at the computer in the office.

I probably would stay here again but it would not be my first choice
unless of course I needed my Aruba fix (we go 3 times a year) and was on a budget like this time.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Aruba Blue Village Suites? Share your experiences!