“Pretty bad...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Noord
Reisterstown, Maryland, United States
“Pretty bad...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I am not a traveler that expects much. I like to find places that are inexpensive but not a total dump. Coconut Inn was pretty disappointing but you get what you pay for. When my friend and I arrived we started unpacking and several of the drawers in the dresser were broken, keeping us from being able to put our clothes away. Beds not very comfortable. Very cheap and old linens. The wi-fi DID NOT work in the room. If I wanted wi-fi i had to go by the pool or stand in the parking lot. This made it difficult to communicate with my parents on a regular basis. The breakfast that is including doesn't consist of much more than water, bread and cheese. The toilet seat broke off the toilet about halfway through our stay. The refrigerator seemed to leak also. My friend hung all of her clothes up in the closet which we believed to have some sort of bugs in it or maybe in her bed. She would wake up covered in bug bites. This hotel is too far of a walk to the High rise hotels and the popular nightlife spots and cabs can be expensive. The maids werent very friendly. Everytime we would walk out of the room they would stare at us. The day of check out we hadnt even finishing packing before they came to the room to clean. A little pushy. I will say that the owner was very nice and friendly, but that was really the only good thing about this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cookeville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Reviews of this place are all over the map. I was forced to stay here and think I have the litmus test for others to decide if this place is for them or not. Here goes:

On arrival, the housekeeper took us to our room. As the opened the door, a small lizard fell from the doorway and scurried under the bed.

If this makes you shudder and fear the cleanliness of the place, you are best served by staying at one of the many fine, sterile and comfortable resorts in Aruba. And by paying the $400-$600+ a night they charge for it. If, on the other hand, you find this an amusing and somewhat endearing welcome to the tropics, you'll be fine.

Here's the rap on this place: the facilities are very dated. Like, 1950s motel, Jack Kerouac On the Road dated. Neon sign flashing "Air Condition" with the "ed" burned out. But the beds are clean (no bedbugs), the air conditioner works as does the fridge and TV.

As some other reviewers have noted with jaws agape in shock and horror, there is no "HOT WATER" (gasp!). What this place lacks is superheated water. Because the drinking water has to be desalinated here, it is quite expensive, so this place uses water tanks on top of the building for their washing water (like many places in the tropics). The water in the afternoon is very comfortable - 80+ degrees, like a swimming pool in August. It's fine, and doesn't run out.

There is a very eager and very noisy rooster nearby. Again, welcome to the tropics.

I have stayed in very nice luxury hotels, some dumps where I slept with one eye open, and camp often. This place is fine if you do not require all of the luxuries Americans have come to expect from a hotel. Coconut Inn is safe, clean and cheap. The staff is friendly and helpful. The internet works fine. It's not for everyone, but then again, neither is adventure. If you want to get the flavor of real Aruba, stay here and savor the difference.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

You pay what you get for. We stayed for 5 nights and the room had everything we needed. two beds, a tv, wifi, kitchen, and bathroom. They even gave you a small breakfast ( eggs, sausage, and toast) but the pool was not too clean though. Plus you do not go on vacation to stay at a fancy hotel. You go to explore and coconut inn makes you want to stay out the whole day until its time to go to sleep. The only bad thing is that you really need a car if you plan to stay here. Everything is pretty far by foot and Eagle beach is about 15 minutes walking. But other than that it was a great stay and I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms that are in front of hotel those are the nicest.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
gwinn mi.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

need a lot of work to the place/pool was dirty/no ice machine/ needs new things to put rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed at the Coconut Inn for 5 nights. First the good things to be fair and objective. The staff was nice, the breakfast was o.k., the pool nice and the rooms were clean. The island is small so it is convenient but only because we had a car. Now here is the bad stuff. #1 for me was NO HOT WATER. They don't even have hot water tanks. I was told that the sun warms the water and if I waited til 4 pm it would be warm. I waited all day and it was lukewarm to cool. The room was not the one that was presented in the picture when we booked. It was supposed to be an apt. with a sitting area and sofa but it was one room with two beds. The Internet was almost impossible to use. I had to sit outside in the rain under a tiki hut to be able to work. I really did not like the crime bars on the windows. It was a poor area but I did not feel unsafe. I don't think there is a lot of crime in this area. I was worried about getting out in a fire as there was only one entrance for my unit. The rooms have not been updated probably since the 60's or earlier. Very retro especially if you like antique appliances. The pool chairs were falling apart which just looked bad. We found chairs that could be sat on and used them. I would not come back here unless I was broke! But it can be tolerable if you have to stay there.

Room Tip: Please make sure that they give you the room you think you are getting.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I needed two extra nights right after Christmas because our other hotel was booked. Because I waited too long to make reservations, we ended up in the Coconut Hotel. BIG MISTAKE! First of all, you can't find the place and no one in the area knew where it was. We finally asked a taxi cab driver (we were in our own car) and he gave us directions. Upon seeing this "rat hole" we were extremely apprehensive but thought, "How bad could this be?" Oh, it was bad! The front desk attendant (once we found the office behind barred windows and door) was extremely rude. We asked to see the room and he refused. He told us to take it or leave it. We looked back outside and listened to the sound of M-80s gong off in the neighborhood, at the peeling paint on the doors that DIDN'T have bars and at the run-down look of these dilapidated buildings and cracked pool and decided that we WOULD leave. My suggestion is to stay as far away from this hotel as possible! Maybe back in 2001 this was a "quaint" little Aruba motel, but now it is a run-down shack.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I was quite anxious because of the last message about Coconut inn. But I had a really good time in this Hotel. Rooms are clean, staff is very friendly, clients too. You can go to the city by Bus and to the beach by walking 20 minutes, It,s very safe. The breakfast is OK, not bad, not good. The swimmingpool exist, it's a good news. I don't like resorts and I didn't like Aruba a lot because it's like an american Island only for tourists and very expensive. But the hotel was good.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Been to Coconut Inn? Share your experiences!