“Not quite as represented!” 2 of 5 stars

Coconut Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   Noord 31, Noord, Aruba   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Noord
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not quite as represented!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed at the Coconut Inn for 5 nights. First the good things to be fair and objective. The staff was nice, the breakfast was o.k., the pool nice and the rooms were clean. The island is small so it is convenient but only because we had a car. Now here is the bad stuff. #1 for me was NO HOT WATER. They don't even have hot water tanks. I was told that the sun warms the water and if I waited til 4 pm it would be warm. I waited all day and it was lukewarm to cool. The room was not the one that was presented in the picture when we booked. It was supposed to be an apt. with a sitting area and sofa but it was one room with two beds. The Internet was almost impossible to use. I had to sit outside in the rain under a tiki hut to be able to work. I really did not like the crime bars on the windows. It was a poor area but I did not feel unsafe. I don't think there is a lot of crime in this area. I was worried about getting out in a fire as there was only one entrance for my unit. The rooms have not been updated probably since the 60's or earlier. Very retro especially if you like antique appliances. The pool chairs were falling apart which just looked bad. We found chairs that could be sat on and used them. I would not come back here unless I was broke! But it can be tolerable if you have to stay there.

Room Tip: Please make sure that they give you the room you think you are getting.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I needed two extra nights right after Christmas because our other hotel was booked. Because I waited too long to make reservations, we ended up in the Coconut Hotel. BIG MISTAKE! First of all, you can't find the place and no one in the area knew where it was. We finally asked a taxi cab driver (we were in our own car) and he gave us directions. Upon seeing this "rat hole" we were extremely apprehensive but thought, "How bad could this be?" Oh, it was bad! The front desk attendant (once we found the office behind barred windows and door) was extremely rude. We asked to see the room and he refused. He told us to take it or leave it. We looked back outside and listened to the sound of M-80s gong off in the neighborhood, at the peeling paint on the doors that DIDN'T have bars and at the run-down look of these dilapidated buildings and cracked pool and decided that we WOULD leave. My suggestion is to stay as far away from this hotel as possible! Maybe back in 2001 this was a "quaint" little Aruba motel, but now it is a run-down shack.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I was quite anxious because of the last message about Coconut inn. But I had a really good time in this Hotel. Rooms are clean, staff is very friendly, clients too. You can go to the city by Bus and to the beach by walking 20 minutes, It,s very safe. The breakfast is OK, not bad, not good. The swimmingpool exist, it's a good news. I don't like resorts and I didn't like Aruba a lot because it's like an american Island only for tourists and very expensive. But the hotel was good.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

My daughter and I was booked to stay here on Sept 1-4 and when we arrived at this dump....We went right in and cancelled our reservations.
It is out in the middle of no where land..doesn't look safe to stay there...
We ended up at the Talk of the Town..100% better and close to everything.

My advise....going cheap is not the way to go!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — in a dark place..and far away from everything!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

My first time in Aruba, and didnt' want to spend hundreds a night. Coconut Inn is a good choice for those who want to save money, but also those who want to experience actual Aruba, not just the inside of a cookie-cutter mega hotel. There's privacy but a community feel, which I appreciated. The front desk staff arranged a bicycle and car rental, taxis, and were genuinely friendly. There's security at night and breakfast in the morning and great conversation with the owner, who is always around to make sure things are running smoothly. The rooms were basic-- bed, tv, kitchenette-- but clean. You can tell the owner takes pride in the place. The Inn is located about a 15 min walk to the beach, and close to two grocery stores and two banks. The only problem were the cars that drive really fast down the little neighborhood road-- walk in the dirt on teh side of the road if you can. I rented a bike and had a decent time, but rented a car teh next day because Aruba isn't very bike-friendly. The front desk can help you with both and car rental is very inexpensive. Overall, a fantastic experience. I felt comfortable and safe and am grateful that I was able to meet real Islanders and get a sense for the country and not just the commercial.

• Liked — tropical feel, not corporate
  • Disliked — have to go elsewhere for things to do at night
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northeastern Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

I enjoyed my stay at the Coconut Inn on March 19-22 2007. All staff members were friendly with typical genuine Aruba smiles. (Aruba's people, in my opinion, are the most genuine good-natured people in all the Caribbean). Rooms were clean and well maintained, and the included breakfast was a perfect beginning of the day with a nice assortment. The pool was also well-maintained; internet use, phones in rooms with self-programmable wake-up rings. Other posters here complained about the lack of hot water and the cats. Saw two healthy kittens who enjoyed attention (the other poster must not like animals!), and on hot water... it was warm, as it is heated by sun during the daytime; but that's all I needed. The Coconut Inn is a bit hard to find (had to ask at the nearby Noord Police Station) but found it fast after that. True, it's not all that near the beach strip (a 25-minute walk), but with excellent car rental rates in Aruba (National Car Rental has $30./day at the airport), most people rent cars while visiting Aruba, so the Coconut Inn's secure semi-remoteness doesn't matter. It IS though, walking distance to grocery stores and other services. Thier website, and the map here doesn't pinpoint where it is so here's how to find it: At the center of village of Noord (on every map), head west from the police station on the 4 corners there, then take a sharp right right after ArubaBank, then 400' later veer to the right but not a sharp right (two road choices), go past the sports field, and about 500' later, its there on the right. - For $75-$80 including service and tax in high season, it is a good value. Quiet, friendly, clean; great value. This is the REAL Aruba.... not the huge concrete things on the strip. - I don't know WHO would spend 6 times that much for a noisy spot on the beach, but each to his/her own. - My name is Robert Bittner (Northeastern Massachusetts), now completed 15 trips to Aruba over the past 30 years. I will return to the Coconut Inn next time!

• Liked — Value - Great service - quiet - clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2005

The Coconut Inn is a wonderful place to park your bags and body. Adventurers will find it very convenient and hospitable. This is not a resort and one should not expect amenities (like hot water). But the staff was very friendly and helpful. Rent a car or scooter. Explore.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Coconut Inn? Share your experiences!