“A New Tradition” 5 of 5 stars
Review of My Aruban Home

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Noord
My Aruban Home
Ranked #1 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Noord
USA
“A New Tradition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have to apologize to Robert, as I had some major life changes after returning home and took too long in writing this review. My girlfriend and I visited Aruba in August of 2012 for one week. I will write my review to provide help in two areas: general impressions of Aruba and why Robert and his family make the experience as good as it is.

First, Aruba was our first visit to the Caribbean. We are the type of vacationers that prefer to carve our own path rather than bask in all-inclusive amenities until departure. We chose Aruba thinking that we'd be able to plan our days catered to this attitude. We were spot on in this respect, but the island offers more than we imagined. For adventurers, there is plenty available, but the resort section of the island is full of activity. As Robert mentioned, one can walk from My Aruban Home to the Marriott and use the hotel's beach chairs, so you can easily balance between custom day trips and lazy lounging. Aruba itself was incredible. When we swam with pufferfish and squid in our first snorkel trip, we thought that would be it and were satisfied. But we later went to a different section of the island and off the beaten path. What we found was a snorkel paradise that I can only describe as a private aquarium. We were the only ones within sight, and school upon school of different species swam by as if we simply didn't exist. To reach this destination (near Blue Parrot waterpark), we took our kayak out, and the waves were formidable and a little scary, so I can't say that I recommend it to those not confident in swimming ability. Having our own kayak made the trip unbelievably free, as coral reef and beautiful, private areas became immediately accessible and not held back by return times or group tour guidelines. For a family who wants more structure, though, water sport activities were plentiful, and we often heard the happy chatter of tour groups either on their boats or when docking.

As for My Aruban Home itself, it was more than we expected and everything we could want. The lodging is designed to make you feel as if you live in Aruba. This means that you should plan to bring small things that a hotel might provide, such as a hair dryer, razor, and such. Beyond this, all of the items we would want, such as flatware in the kitchenette and bedding, left nothing to be desired. There was enough space for us to keep our luggage, move around, cook, and so on, but other than that, we wanted to spend all of our time at the amazing spots that we simply can't wait to revisit. The feeling of living in Aruba was nicely achieved, I think. There was no swim-up bar or casino down the hall to lure us away from the treasures of the island, so we simply recharged our bodies and minds in the cozy guest house and then ventured out the next day. The air conditioning and wifi ensured comfort, but for us, it was all about daytime adventures, nighttime preparation of our own meals using Aruba's great ingredients, heading out again for some nighttime fun, and then slumping into the sizable bed with satisfaction. If our muscles were sore or skin sunburned, the house was welcoming and always a close walk or drive. Regardless of lodging location, I recommend a rental car. No matter how close the beach is (10 minutes' walk from My Aruban Home), a car opens up possibilities.

Now to where it really counts. Robert and his family imparted the kind of courtesy, respect, warmth, and knowledge that will make a trip to Aruba unforgettable and perfect the first time around. Being a couple that likes to design our own adventure, we have been to Florida with a guide book and discovered too late that we need a second trip to do what we truly set out to do. With Robert and his daughter's advice on our side, we quickly found spots that do not fail to impress. Every single aspect of our days was made comfortable and anxiety-free thanks to their expertise. A hotel receptionist would never provide the kind of care we received. From our daily ingredient shopping to rental car arrangements to bike borrowing (from Robert), the only thing we had to think about was how to fit so many good experiences into each day. Robert continuously mentioned that he only recommends a location if it's good enough for his family, and this was made very clear in the quality of places we went. I particularly recall being made to feel like family when my girlfriend hurt her leg and we wanted to get out for happy hour. Robert's family came to the rescue and gave us a ride to our favorite spot. Of course, after happy hour, there was no pain walking home! Speaking of which, check out Bugaloe, a bar/restaurant sitting on the pier behind the hotel strip. Amazing food, best mojitos of my life, and awesome happy hour specials. We ended up going there almost every day.

I am getting wrapped up in memories. Suffice it to say that Aruba is a great choice for a vacation, and My Aruban Home (moreover, those who own it) will ensure that your trip is perfect. We will be back, and we can only hope that Robert will have a room for us! See you this summer, Aruba.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We chose My Aruban Home because of the reviews and Robert lived up to all of them! We were picked up by Robert at the airport and he arranged for a vehicle for us to use during our stay. We prefer to stay off the beaten path and explore places we travel to, so this was the perfect choice for us. Our room was very clean and well appointed. we had tons of space outside to dry our diving gear. Robert gave us as much information and help as we asked for, and then left us be to explore the island on our own. We literally covered the entire island during our stay - including several days of diving to see what was under the water. I would highly recommend staying here if you are looking to experience the hospitality and heart of Aruba - you won't be disappointed!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I visited Aruba from the 29th of December for a week, through new year's. Overall we could not be more pleased with the sheer beauty of its beaches, the general convenience with everything on the island, and the variety and quality of restaurants specifically. This is our first review here although we have been to a few other Caribbean islands and the Maldives. Although the destination is why we mainly travel, the lodging ends up being a very important part of any visit and it is why we are writing this review, to thank Robert of "My Aruban Home" for his hospitality. The other reviews are all spot on, he is as great a person and host as they all say! That his guests have a comfortable stay is his #1 goal and he is very successful at it.
We rented his jeep while we stayed and also used the bicycles once. On foot or bicycle it is easy to get to most of the high rise section from the home, which is mainly palm beach but also the kitesurfing/paddling/windsurfing portion of hadicurari beach. Once on the beach and among the resorts, finding a place to eat is not an issue. Our lunches were spent at a new beach side restaurant each day overlooking the beautiful waters.
By car/jeep you can get further away and eagle beach, manchebo and arashi are a must visit. We only went to Oranjestad once and once to the California lighthouse to check out the rugged east coast. It's a stark contrasted beauty in comparison and definitely worth a visit. We did not take any tours to the natl park or baby beach etc, and were quite content spending our time on the 3 or 4 of the nearest beaches. 6 perfect consecutive sunsets. Constant trade winds which can be strong but very refreshing at the same time.
All in all the location of My Aruban Home was perfect, the accommodations are all very clean uptodate, garden is tasteful, amenities are plenty. For my work I stay at Large hotel chain properties more nights than I like, so it is a very refreshing change to stay in a "home" so to speak and to experience the level of hospitality that Robert, a true Aruban extends to his every guest.

A note on this time of the year. The island was absolutely packed with people even in the low rise sections. But since they are all mainly families with children it was overall a decent crowd of tourists and locals. Aruba goes crazy with fireworks before during and after new years, which is great to witness. The entire high rise beach section was full of parties on the sand at midnight, which was a lot of fun. But if you are looking for peace and quiet, another time in the year is probably best. For us, it was fine, and there was always My Aruban Home to go back to at night which was quiet and pleasant. Thank you Robbie for an excellent stay and your hospitality, we will certainly be back :D

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Our Aruba trip was perfect! Thanks to Robbie and "My Aruban Home." Having read all the reviews prior to our booking, they were all accurate and then some. Everyone dreams of the perfect vacation. We had that and more! Thank you Robbie for the best vacation ever! We are honored for having met you and for staying in one of your units. We definitely recommend "My Aruban Home." We're looking forward to our future trips to Aruba. Chris & Shari Syracuse, NY

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My Aruban Home was the perfect destination for our honeymoon! My wife and I just returned from a 6-day stay with Robbie, and we could not be happier. To say that Robert (the owner) is a wonderful host is to say that Mozart was a 'wonderful' composer or that Steinway makes a 'wonderful' piano or that the Rhone Valley in Southern France makes a 'wonderful' wine - Robert sets the standard for what every host, or maybe every person, should strive to be. He was charming, helpful, welcoming and willing to help us in any way possible. After picking us up from the airport and chatting us up on the ride home, he told us the best way to shop for food to save money and then as we arrived at his home he said "Welcome home."

Robert's wife was visiting his daughter in Europe during our stay, but we had a blast being able to share our honeymoon with him. If you decide to go just for the hospitality and kindness of a born and raised Aruban native, you will not be disappointed.

That said, there was much more to the home than an incredible host. Being newlyweds with pretty limited income, we were looking to save money where we could (one of the reasons My Aruban Home was our choice over the resorts) without having to sacrifice our comfort or safety. We booked his smallest room and, because it was our honeymoon (his words) he gave us his biggest. A king bed, closets, beautiful updated bathroom, kitchen (with gas stove and various cooking basics (pans, pots, coffee pot, utensils, glassware, oil, salt and pepper, etc.) so you don't have to buy out the supermarket just to make a decent meal), a cozy living area with television and DVD player as well as a TV in the bedroom. The location is about a block from the Marriott which we had no problem accessing throughout the trip for the beach or a quick stop at the bar. We are fairly active and don't mind walking a lot or biking where we need to (Robbie also has bikes to use at your disposal free of charge!) for purposes of getting somewhere or just to explore the island.

I think what we loved the most about My Aruban Home was the freedom that we had to do whatever we wanted. I have been to bigger resort style places and you often feel stuck in your room or in the hotel with little incentive to leave because of the high price you are paying for the all-inclusive digs. Robbie's home felt like an apartment that we rented for the week with everything we needed and nothing that we didn't.

Part of me is afraid to give such high praise because my wife and I like the idea of this being 'our little secret' but Robbie was so good to us, it was the least we could do to recommend his place. We loved it. It was low-key, off the beaten path, and very... real. Exactly what we were looking for.

My one caveat is that if you are not active or prefer to take as few steps as possible on a vacation, you will not get the most out of this place. The home allows you to get up and get out or, on a rainy day (there are like 2 rainy days a year in Aruba) you can be totally comfortable sitting indoors watching netflix. Side note: I brought my laptop and we put Netflix to good use. The internet in Aruba was blazing fast compared to our rural internet in America. Good for nights or slow mornings.

When we return to Aruba, we will be staying exclusively at My Aruban Home!

Room Tip: There's only two room options I think... Both beautiful!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

First I would like to thank Robert and his family for the best time we ever had. He was very accommodating and we will be coming back there soon with our kids, back to Roberts House!
Only one word can describe our trip in Aruba...PERFECT!!!

A big part of what made it a Perfect Trip was ''My Aruban Home''.

My wife and I decide to go to Aruba for a nice vacation. Robert made our experience of renting this house easy and trouble free from the first e-mail we exchanged with him to the arrival day when he came to the airport and picked us up to take us the house. He answered all our questions and gave us GREAT tips that made our stay a perfect one.
Robert helped us to get a rental car (You need one if you are going around the island).
The house is well located; about 5 minutes drive to beautiful Beach.
The neighborhood is very quiet and consists mainly of local resident. The house is well equipped with a gas stove, fridge, nice living room, satellite TV, AC in all rooms, a King size bed in one bedroom (with private bathroom). The landscaping is beautiful and well maintain. I strongly recommend this house and you will really appreciate dealing with Robert.
Robert daughter Jillian gave us a tour in where the best places where to go and have an adventure. She and her newborn baby were a joy to be around.
We wanted a nice, relaxing, no stress vacation, and we got exactly that at My Aruban Home.
Robert and his family make you feel like you are at home with family.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I cannot say enough positive things about my stay here. Definitely one of the best travel choices I have ever made. To keep this short and to the point here are a few reasons I say these things:

1. Robert and his family really care about you and the experiences you have here.
2. Robert is happy to pick you up and drop you off anywhere you need, including the airport, grocery store, restaurants, etc. He and family are gracious hosts.
3. All the amenities you need are here - Wi-Fi, bikes, laundry, snorkels, beach towels, appliances, air conditioning, etc. This certainly helped in decreasing the amount of clothes I brought and it also allowed me to bring back a lot of extra, unused money.
4. The location is a few minutes walk from the beach, hotels, and restaurants. There's also a mini-market on the next street over.
5. I left feeling like I was part of the family. There are little to no other vacation destinations that you can say that about.

Thanks again to Robert and his family. I know that other people will read this review and make the right choice to stay with you. I know I'll be back sometime.

A few tips for vacationing in Aruba:

1. Let Robert set up a Jeep rental for you and rent it for two days minimum. It only cost me around $100 for one day.
2. U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere, no need to exchange money.
3. If you're departing on a Saturday, get to the airport at least 2 1/2 hours before your flight is scheduled to leave.
4. The beach behind the Holiday Inn was always the least crowded by far.
5. Let Robert set up a dinner reservation for you at La Trattoria el Faro Blanco, the Italian restaurant by the lighthouse. Arrive just before sunset to see it during dinner.
6. Aruba is a very windy place.

Room Tip: The guesthouse I stayed in had a bed large enough for 2 people and the space was good for 2 people.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
MyArubanHome, Owner at My Aruban Home, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words.
Hope you had a good start back at work.
It has been great having you staying with us and hope to host you again in the future.

Been to My Aruban Home? Share your experiences!