“Interesting cuisine, slow service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
New York City, New York
“Interesting cuisine, slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We heard about this restaurant from other guests at the Marriott who raved about the food so we gave it a try. I did not find the food or service to be anything more than average. They appeared to be short staffed in the kitchen and wait staff. We waited nearly 49 minutes between the appetizer and entree courses. They did a good job with the fish preparation and the stew was just okay. If we would have ordered coffee or after dinner drinks, this would have been a three hour meal. Fairly certain we will not return.

Visited January 2014

Arlington, Virginia
“Visiting one of the local favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Old Cunucu House was one of the best meals we have ever had. First of all Aruba is very Americanized; you have taco bells, McDonalds and KFC’s everywhere. When we leave the States for vacation we don’t want to eat the same food that is available in the USA. With that said, we looked high and low for authentic Aruban cuisines and we were told by several individuals to visit the Old Cunucu House.
We were unable to find the restaurant the first day we look for it, but we were determined to find it. The second day we found the location and we were greeted by two lovely ladies that were enthused to prepare a meal for us. We ordered the liver and the goat and OMG!!! Both of the meals were excellent. I also had the Pink Panther Drink from the bar specials, it was a very refreshing and tasty drink.
In all our experience was awesome and we look forward to returning on our next vacation to Aruba.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Worse than Terrible!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The waiter was about 13-14years old. I ordered a glass of pinot and he looked at me like I had two heads. He had to go to the other room and ask. Came back 15 minutes later with our wine. At this point we asked him what the catch of the day was? He again proceeded to look at us like we were aliens. He then again went to the other room for guidance. He then said the Catch was Grouper and my wife asked what is the market price for the fish and he said he will have to ask. At this ponit I am done and needed to talk to a manager. I finally talked to the manager and his exact words were... "this is is first night as a server ever and we need to give him a break"!!!! I said someone needs to train him, and his response was, he doesnt have time, and had his own tables to take care of!! We left!!The worst 45 min of my Vacation!!

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“Great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Love the history of this house and restaurant. The food was delicious! I had a traditional Aruban goat dish. It was very good! Similar to what my grandma used to make. My husband had the conch. It was tender and tasty!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Weston, Massachusetts
“Where else can you get good goat stew?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is an interesting restaurant with a local atmosphere. The Aruban Sampler for appetizer was interesting and good. We both ordered Goat Stew because that is not something you can usually get in a restaurant. It was funny. Several different people came out of the kitchen to make sure that we really wanted goat stew. The stew was very good and the portions were large enough for us to take home and have lunch the next day. The service can be described as informally chaotic, but very cheerful and friendly. This added greatly to the charm of the place.

• Visited December 2013