“Weird Vibe” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Regency Kuwait

You added The Regency Kuwait to your Saves list
The Regency Kuwait
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Al Bida'a, Al Tawoon Street, Salmiyah, Kuwait City 22012, Kuwait   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Salmiyah
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Weird Vibe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Everything about the hotel just doesn't feel right, nothing is obviously wrong with the place... but something just doesn't feel right, maybe it's the sharia compliant theme, possibly the over ambitous interior design... but it certainly is fit for use, clean with friendly staff. It's a little out of the way from downtown Kuwait for a business hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Arabic first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here for a business meeting that was held here, in early May 2011. This was my fourth Kuwaiti hotel that I've stayed in (the others have been - some multiple times - the Sheraton/Four Points, Crowne Plaza, and Radisson Blu). This is the first Kuwaiti Shar'ia-compliant hotel I've stayed in, although I've stayed in such hotels elsewhere.

Appearance/Lobby: the hotel is really an imposing building in a chichi-seeming area. The lobby is also grand, with chandeliers and loads of really comfy sofas and chairs, which makes it a great meeting area. The whole appearance is really nice, but the lobby is basically all the big and grand part of the hotel! The rest of it is fine, but not as expansive as the outside or the lobby would have you believe. The front desk staff was helpful, but often seemed overwhelmed. The ATM didn't work when I was there. There are prayer rooms and rest rooms off of the lobby.

Location: I couldn't tell anything about the location. It seemed that everything was a 4-5 KD taxi ride away other than the mini-mall attached to the Movenpick next door.

Services: Internet was nonexistent other than in the lobby and sometimes conference center. You couldn't get it at all in the room. The cleaning service didn't bring my clothes back until I called asking where they were (supposed to be in by 8 back by 3, and I called at 5, and they brought them right up, but why I had to call I don't know). However, they did a good job with cleaning them. The business center was really just 2 internet and microsoft-ready computers on desks, but the chaperone was very helpful and allowed us to use them any time and to print anything we needed, and didn't charge which was very nice. One of the keyboards was an Arabic one and the other an English one.

Rooms: My room was fine. I had a nice king-size bed that was very comfortable and a nice flat screen TV with a ton of channels, about 6-10 were in English at least some of the time. The remote and phone were so complicated that I couldn't figure them out for some time! The room had a safe and two really big closets with lots of hangers. The bathroom had the requisite bidet and the shower had both the rainshower head from the ceiling and the regular handheld-possibility one but I couldn't figure out how to make the rainshower one work. There is a nice sized shelf/seat in the shower and there is also a clothesline in there (although after your clothes are done dripping you will need to dry them in the room because there's not enough air circulating to dry them in the shower). BIG and fluffy towels, too. I liked the small-pastry-bite and fruit plate that they gave me on the first day, although they didn't refill it. The window in my room looked out to not much and there was a blackout curtain to keep light out.

Amenities: When I arrived and I was shown to my room, the hotel staff informed me that there are 4 pools, one for women only. I knew this from my online research, and I also knew there was a lap pool - and that the other 3 pools were coed. There are a lot of nice chairs for sunning and relaxing in. When I asked about the lap pool, she first told me that I had to be covered to use it, to my wrists and my ankles. When I expressed concern - how do you swim laps like that, really - she then said, well, just don't wear a bikini. I was kind of concerned because there's a big swath of possibility there.... but I wore my aquatard, that goes to my knees anyhow, with a t-shirt underneath and bathing cap. No one gave me any trouble - heck, no one was out there using the pool other than me. And the women's pool was closed for repairs from the day after I got there until after I left. To the pool and also to the gym I wore an abaya to walk through the hotel. Now, the gym was interesting. Apparently it was also under renovation, and they moved it into a temp gym area on the 4th floor. So it wasn't the regular gym and it wasn't 24-hour. Pool hours were 8 am-7pm, the gym was 6 am-8 pm or something like that, but they said if you want to use the gym during other hours just et them know and they would open it for you. They also told a colleague this, and I took them up on it and they were fine to open it up for me.

Food: Breakfast was included, in the cellar/walkout area. It was quite the spread.and it was pretty good. The staff felt a little awkward, but they were well meaning and at the end we got everything we needed. There is an omelette and waffle bar, and everything else under the sun. We ate there once for dinner, and it was "eh". Mine was good - but I got shrimp and halloum, so how could it not be. Lemon mints are also good here, if inconsistent (some are really sweet, some markedly less so).

Conference services: These seemed very nice. The room was appropriately-sized and laid out well, the translation services and acoustics were very good as well. Catered lunches and tea breaks were very professional and the food in the lunch buffets was quite good as well - especially the hammour and the tabouli.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I stayed one night at The Regency in early June 2010. This is a new hotel in Kuwait, and it certainly has potential. I enjoyed my stay and likely will go back, but I did note some areas of concern.

The hotel is very new — so new, in fact, that it is still operating under the auspices of a “soft opening.” For the time (and given the low summer season), that means a brilliant property at a very good price, but the hotel is still sorting through some issues, and staff need more training.

Facilities

The good: From the inside, the hotel is truly beautiful. The grand lobby is beautifully furnished, warm and inviting. The furniture is comfortable and graceful. The lobby has a true five-star look and ambiance.

The bad: The hotel sits on the beach behind an ugly old building that truly is a blight on what otherwise would be a beautiful property. I suspect that building will be razed eventually, but until then it blocks the front entrance of the hotel from the street. Pity.

The pool area is beautiful and looks very comfortable, but the summer heat in Kuwait kept me indoors. Next time, perhaps.

Guest Rooms

I stayed in a “Superior” room and it was wonderful, albeit a bit small. The furnishings were exquisite and well chosen. Not too little, not too much. The bed is among the best hotel beds I have slept on — it was so good, in fact, that I looked for the manufacturer’s tag. The bed linens also were very nice. I also liked the blackout curtains — when they were closed, one could not tell whether it was day or night.

The bathroom was very well done, especially the large walk-in shower with the rainfall showerhead. Asprey toiletries were a nice touch.

My only serious criticism of the rooms is the ease with which noise passes from the corridors and adjacent guest rooms. It was easy to hear conversations occurring in the corridor, and every door opened or closed could be heard from inside my room.

I awoke to fire alarm testing the morning of my stay. It persisted for hours, and staff barely acknowledged or apologized for the inconvenience.

Niggles: There were no instructions for accessing in-room Internet (had to call reception), and the lights were controlled by a digital dimmer console that was confusing at best. The phone did not have any clear instructions for reaching reception, so I pressed “0” and hoped for the best.

The staff seemed eager to please, but they spent a lot of time trying to figure things out. Their behavior could best be described as dogs chasing their tails. I did not encounter any rudeness or indifference, but there was a certain lack of precision and crispness one would expect of a hotel at this level.

Dining

I took breakfast in the downstairs restaurant on the morning of my stay. Food was plentiful and the variety was OK, but the quality itself was unremarkable. Coffee was served lukewarm, and I had to chase down someone to find a chef to man the omelets station.

Overall

This hotel looks, feels and sounds like a five-star hotel. Its décor exudes richness and refinement. Indeed, the physical space itself is on par with Ritz-Carlton properties in the Gulf, which are the best I’ve seen. Ritz-Carlton is the gold standard for service, however, and The Regency does not come close to that.

It is worth noting that the hotel operates on Sharia (Islamic) business principles, so guests unaccustomed to the Gulf may be put off by the hotel’s policies. (Example: The hotel pool has a strict dress code that is very conservative even by Gulf standards.) I cannot help but wonder whether this will be a long-term challenge to the hotel’s success.

Bottom line: The hotel is beautiful and well appointed, but it is not yet ready for primetime.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Regency Kuwait? Share your experiences!