“Very pleasant but on expensive side” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Eychenne
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Avenue Paul Laffont, 09200 Saint-Girons, France   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Saint-Girons
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant but on expensive side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Stayed here for three nights following an uninspiring stay in Collioure on the Med coast. We drove for 250km not able to find a hotel of nice enough quality to want to stay at. We drove on and on and eventually arrived in St Girons. Having not consulted Trip Advisor before leaving Collioure (bad mistake), we came across this hotel by accident. We wanted a room with a 6ft bed so were shown a lovely room which was huge and had great bathroom. As we were so exhausted, I wished we had negotiated an even better price although the Manager/Proprietaire did offer a reduction for three nights. After taking a nice long bath with the very pleasant toiletries in the bathroom, we ventured down to dinner. The set menu was quite expensive and had a limited choice if you were staying for more than a couple of nights. Unfortunately, I wasn't informed that the amuse bouche was a langoustine 'liquid' and as I have a sensitivity to shellfish, I was ill for most of the night even after just taking one sip. The next night we ventured out hungry at 6.15pm after a long day in the mountains to be confronted with a tired town with every restaurant closed or not serving until 7pm. We like to eat at 6.30ish after long days so we were upset and ended up in McDonalds at St Lizier, a neighbouring town. Very disappointed. Why it is impossible to eat before 7pm remains a mystery to me. Never mind. The third night we tried the restaurant again, being one couple of only two others. Very quiet. Service very good. Same menu so had the same dishes as the first night - except the langoustines! The a la carte is truly expensive. The breakfast costs 12Euro and in my opinion, best avoided. The milk was full fat and warm and the bread rolls had a bitter taste and resembled hockey pucks. The local scenery is wonderful with many fantastic trips to be had in the Pyrenees mountains, especially Plateau de Beille, some 45km from the hotel. Worth getting a detailed map of the area so you can weedle out the smaller roads over the cols. Take care on the hairpin switchback bends for cyclists as these routes are often used by them as they like to follow the Tour de France trails.

Room Tip: Room 11 is noisy when visitors come and go as it overlooks a courtyard/unloading area
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

We booked the Eychenne for just one night on our way back to Toulouse and wish we could have stayed longer. Our trip was at the end of September and the hotel seemed quite empty, with just four tables at dinner. The communal areas are charming and full of character. The gardens, pool area, outside dining areas all looked lovely. Secure parking was available for 4 euros a night.
We had room 9 which was a good size with a lovely new bathroom comprising separate bath and shower cubicle and a separate toilet. Towels were good quality, as were the toiletries. There were French windows from our room which opened onto a first floor terrace equipped with table, chairs and parasol, from which there was a view over the gardens and the mountains beyond. All very agreeable. There were electric shutters to keep the room cool. No English language channels on the TV and no tea/coffee making facilities. There was a computer cubicle we used for flight check-in but the internet connection was very slow. Staff were friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant was good quality, well prepared and presented. Breakfast was continental and not very exciting. As the hotel is in the centre of town going out for breakfast might be a better option if staying longer. However, we thoroughly enjoyed our short but very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Room 9 was lovely with a large new bathroom and a terrace.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We got the basic room with the shower.

This place was clean, wonderful, and a highlight of the trip.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

We stayed in this place at the recommendation of Count de Coral (of Chateau d'Urtubie; I believe the Count found it in a guidebook). It was fine, but not nearly at the level of excellence of Chateau d'Urtubie.

This is an old-fashioned hotel, which is part of its charm. There is a turn-of-the-century aspect to the wood-paneled lobby and little front-desk area. It's really lovely.

Be prepared to schlepp your bags up a lot of (very wide) stairs. The girl at the desk helped. Also with regard to the desk, on a rainy Sunday afternoon the desk-girl was the only one around and speaks only French (considering it's France, this should not come as a shock). This was not an issue for us, but if you need English-all-the-time you should be advised. Later in the day the owner was at the desk, and he is very English-fluent. Both the desk-girl and the owner could not have been more wonderful and helpful, no matter what was asked of them.

Because we were only staying one night, we opted for one of the cheapest rooms. It was fine------actually a bit larger than one often finds at that price, and it had a nice bathroom. It had a decent view of the Pyrenees for such an inexpensive room.

The dining room looked a little too hotel-average for our taste, so we set off to find a restaurant. This was nearly impossible to do on a Sunday night------St. Girons really rolls up its sidewalks------but ended up finding a little place wherein I had one of my best meals in France, ever. Alas, I neglected to take down the name......but it's within just a few blocks of the hotel and the owner serves homemade soup out of a tureen for a first course no matter what you order. Unbelievably good. But I digress......

This hotel is fine. It is a pretty place, and convenient. We like the "older" look-and-feel of places like this, with their wood, their grand staircases, and old-fashioned charm. After our dinner elsewhere, we came back and had a relaxing nightcap in the lovely lounge-area. The rooms are comfortable and a decent value.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

I have stayed at Hotel Eychenne twice, once in 2006 and now in 2009. It's really past it's use by date and for what they charge you can get much better. The staff are quite friendly, the gardens are nice as is the pool. The restaurant is only just okay and the menu is the typical French that hasn't changed for years and very bland. The rooms are very dated and to call this 4 star is crazy - I have had better rooms in 2 star hotels. It's not all bad and could be so much better, but like so many small French hotels they seem to be happy to be medicore - it's a shame.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

I visited St. Girons for two nights during a trip through the Pyrenees. I chose this hotel because of the decent reviews it got on this website. I stayed in four other hotels during my trip, all 2-3 stars, and this was by far the one with the least value. I really wish I could have liked this place because the owners and staff were incredibly warm, helpful and welcoming, but the hotel was just not nice. The best way to describe it was tired. The wing I was roomed in smelled like a hospital, and the furniture, carpeting and walls were in need of major facelifts. The bedding was ancient and did not feel clean, and the bathroom, while clean and neat, reminded me of the bathrooms of my hostel backpacking days. Like I've stated before, the staff was wonderful and the owners were incredibly kind, but one thing that did bother me was a 1.50 euro charge for a phone call the owner made for my taxi.

Aside from the staff, I really liked the restaurant. The food was delicious (especially the foie), and the selection of wines was great. It was a tad expensive, especially the breakfast, but I didn't mind it so much because of the quality of food. The dining room and breakfast room were the highlight of the hotel, as both were well-appointed and spacious.

I spoke to other couples staying at the hotel who echoed my complaints about the hotel's value and quality. I am not the pickiest person and usually do not go out of my way to write a bad review, but I feel people should know details about the hotel so they can manage their expectations accordingly. I knew I wouldn't be staying at the Ritz Carlton, but compared to the other 2-3 star hotels I stayed in, this was the one with the least value, and if not for the restaurant and staff, I would certainly rate it as two star.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

We were touring the pyrennes by car, and never booked anything in advance. headed for St Girons, where you have a umber of hotel options for such a relatively small town. This one looked great as it was in the centre of town as opposed to the chateux hotel on the outskirts, since we wanted to be able to walk around in the evening. The staf were very accomodating in finding us a last minute room - some times you get lucky, and we found it to be superb. Food and bar is expensive, but very good, so you get what you pay for. the internal gardens, and pool are fabulous, although quitesmall, althouh this adds seclusion, and it all has a very relaxed and peaceful feel. We really felt at home. Security and parking is excellent if you have motorcycles or valuable vehicles, and I noted it was used a lot by others touring the area.
Highly recommended, and at the top end for the area. Enjoy

• Liked — Location, and character
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Eychenne? Share your experiences!