“Don't waste your time and money! Bad attitudes and horrible service!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Anchor Inn And Marina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
Anchor Inn And Marina
3425 County Road 30, Watkins Glen, NY 14891   |
Ranked #9 of 9 hotels in Watkins Glen
Limerick, Pennsylvania
“Don't waste your time and money! Bad attitudes and horrible service!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The service at the Tiki Bar is horrible. They are terribly understaffed. We were there the weekend after the 4th of July and waited 1 & 1/2 hours for sandwiches on a Saturday afternoon. We went back this past weekend (Labor Day) and rented a boat. We arrived at 11:30 as directed to complete the paperwork. There was nobody available to drive our gear down to the boat so the 10 of us had to walk our gear down the steep stairs and across the train tracks. They had one bartender working. She was responsible for: 1) serving drinks, 2) taking food orders, 3) having the boat renters complete the paperwork, AND 4) showing the renters how to operate the boats. My daughter and her boyfriend were sitting at the bar with money out, but the bartender never waited on them. The boat trip itself was awesome! However, when we returned the boat, three employees were standing on the dock screaming directions at us and one of them called our "captain" an old man. The owners need to wake up!! This place could be a gold mine with the proper management and staffing. We certainly won't waste anymore time or money at the Tiki Bar. I highly recommend the Seneca Harbor Station for great food and service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Monsey, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This inn owns a marina and they rent power boats out to anybody. We were staying in cortland NY and we just came over to watkins glen to spend the day on Seneca Lake. We reserved a boat at the Inns marina. We rented it out for two hours. The people working at the marina run a restaurant too and its very understaffed. Mostly one person is doing everything, serving guests food and renting the boats. We had to wait an hour to be helped with the boats even though we had a reservation an hour earlier. The boat was still on a lift and not filled with gas. We left at 2:00 from the marina and the guy told us the boat was full of gas and it should last us for at least two hours. After riding for 45 minutes the motor sputtered and stopped. We tried starting the motor again but it wouldn't. The gas gauge showed the tank was full so we didn't think of checking the tank. We called the inn we kept getting transferred to the marina where no one answered the phone. We were stuck in the middle of a lake with our kids. Finally someone answered the phone and said someone will come over with a jet ski. I told her we reserved for two hours and time was running out. She said don't worry about that we will work it out. we waited for almost an hour finally the guy shows up, didn't know anything about boats , he didn't think of checking the gas tank either. Just tried pressing all the buttons nothing happened. Finally the owner showed up after a couple of tries he looks in the gas tank and says its empty. Nobody told us that the gauge doesn't mean anything including the guy that sent us out of the marina and came to help us later. Obviously he doesn't know how to check if the gas tank is full which it probably wasn't when we started out since it ran out of gas so fast. But that didn't stop them from charging us for a full tank of gas. By that time it was after 4 and our time was up and they didn't want to let us have the boat any longer even though we were stuck on the lake for an hour and a half doing nothing. They didn't offer us anything instead. The kids were really disappointed and so was I. They didn't even offer us a refund on the money. They charged us for the full two hours. Don't waste your money on this marina. Unless you want rotten service and to waste a precious day of vacation stuck on a boat in the middle of a lake.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lititz, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This motel is clean and adequate - nothing fancy. The staff was friendly. The deck is amazing and an increadibly relaxing place to be. My only complaint would be the lousy mattress. Despite the mattress, I would stay there again in a hearbeat.

While nothing listed below bothered me or anyone I stayed with, there are A few things to be aware of:
1) The hotel is on a CRAZY steep hill. If you're unsteady on your feet or afraid to take your vehicle up a hill, this is not the hotel for you. Side note: you don't HAVE to walk up and down the hill if you don't want to - the parking lot is at the top. There also steps to walk down part of the hill.
2) This is a Dog friendly hotel and we saw several dogs during our stay - including the Owners' dogs who occasionally roam outside or in the lobby area. Our group was a bunch of dog lovers, so we didn't mind.
3) There is a salt plant down the road from the hotel so during the week, there is a good bit of truck traffic. We didn't see any trucks Saturday or Sunday.
4) The Tiki bar across does have live music on weekends and was a bit loud on Saturday night - not enough to interfere with sleep unless you're a really light sleeper.
5) Each day they made the beds and emptied the trash. We had the same sheets and same towels for 3 nights.

Again, none of those 5 things bothered me, but I know people can be picky and you should know what you're getting into. Our rooms each had a mini-fridge, but no coffee maker. They have fresh coffee every moring in the lobby. The continental breakfast was just muffins and pastries - nothing hot.

Room Tip: All rooms have a shared deck. The two rooms we stayed in were identical.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Duncannon, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you want to stay in a motel that reminds you of a well-worn hunting camp, this is the place for you. We have stayed there twice, though on the second visit left on day one to stay someplace else. We were given a cottage. The furniture looked to be at least 40 years old; the place was dirty from the previous tenants, dead bugs on the floor, and the frig looked unsightly - wouldn't even consider putting bottles into it.
Parking is a challenge, especially if you're staying in a cottage - the road is dirt and is filled with ruts. The view of the lake was about the only thing going for this place.,

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
greenville, me
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

From the easy going phone conversation to the check out, the staff were excellent. Room was big, clean and well appointed. View from deck was spectacular. Can't wait to go back and go to the tiki bar!

Room Tip: Got the "Family room" for $10 more... well worth it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the Anchor Inn because it looked good on line and the reviews were good. What the website didn't show is that the driveway is straight up, causing a certain level of terror every time we went up or down it! My heart would race and my knees got weak every time I had to drive up or down. Some of the roads in that town are the same and often intersected by railroad tracks as well.
The owner was reasonably friendly; the family dogs were very friendly and I loved them. The room was clean and neat but the housekeeping was sadly lacking. We had three people in the room and I expected to be given fresh towels and more toilet paper at least...didn't happen. All that was done was the garbage was emptied and the beds were made. They didn't even vacuum the carpet and it needed it.
There was no coffee pot in the room or any other useful thing other than a hair blower, which we didn't need. They didn't put out little soaps or shampoos, instead they had a dispenser of both in the shower. No freebies at this place!
When we needed ice we found that the ice machine (located at the office) was empty. The owner said someone must have taken all the ice and that we would have to go down two steep hills to the tiki bar to get ice. No offer was made to get ice for us. We got our own ice and lugged it back up two hills. There was still no ice in the machine the next day and the following day there was a bare minimum of ice in the machine. I think there is something wrong with the machine and the owner is ignoring it.
The free coffee and continental breakfast mentioned on line consists of pre-packaged danish/muffins and a pot of coffee all located in the office. Half and half and sugar were available but I found out later that they didn't refrigerate the half and half (stuck it under the counter instead) so I didn't use any more the next days. It clearly states on the package that it needs to be refrigerated. I ended up buying my own stuff to use in the morning.
The tiki bar is expensive but ok to sit and enjoy some quiet time. They only make fried foods to eat there, which I don't normally eat but we did try the fried pickles. We don't like them at all but one of the local dogs seemed to enjoy them. The owner told us they were fantastic, which is why we tried them. Don't bother...they aren't fantastic at all.
Overall the place is clean and run adequately but is located in a really uncomfortable spot on the lake. The view was nice but traveling up and down that driveway takes all the fun out of the place for us. There was also a lot of large trucks going back and forth on that road. I think it had something to do with the US Salt company at the end of the road.
I would go back to that area and probably stay longer next time but I will not go back to this place in particular. They give me the feeling that they only do what HAS to be done..just squeeking by. They don't put themselves out to please you and you certainly don't get any extra's at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Kitchener
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The room was a fair size. When we arrived I had to get the girl at the desk to come and vacuum the carpet, because it wasn't done when they cleaned the room. We have a toddler so I didn't want her eating crumbs off the floor. The tiki bar was nice. I don't think they have a huge menu but it is nice for bar food and a drink. The rooms are average and a little over priced. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Anchor Inn And Marina? Share your experiences!