“A certain delapadated charm...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Seneca Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
Seneca Lodge
You added Seneca Lodge to your Saves list
PO Box 272, Watkins Glen, NY NY 14891   |
New Jersey
“A certain delapadated charm...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

....but not for me. It is defiantly a throw-back to an error gone by and may be fun for families: there was a fire pit outside in a community area and a near-by pool at the park. The room was musty but we did not feel comfortable running the air conditioner because it looked rusty and old. We opening the screened windows and soon found a few mosquitoes in the room. The bed was comfortable enough but that was the most positive thing I could say about this lodging.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Timonium, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed in one of the newest cabins - one double?-sized bed with separate bath. No frills but a comfortable stay in a "camp-like" setting. The mattress was supportive and comfortable, but the foam pillows not so. The "newer" cabins have an air conditioner which was key since we were there the 3rd week of August which was in the high 80s most of the time. The Dining room serves only breakfast and dinner and my one complaint is that breakfast doesn't start until 8:00 AM; wish it started earlier. The menu is mostly comfort food, but the food is good and home-cooked, and they do offer some healthy choices. The historic bar is a kick and a half - you have to see it to appreciate it! The wait staff and front desk folks are helpful and nice.

Senca Lodge is right acroos the street from the south entrance to Seneca State Park, which was very handy. Take the Gorge perimeter hike - it is beautiful and good exercise!

My traveling companion was amateur racing at Watkins Glen, and the Seneca Lodge is very convenient to the race track. I spent most of my time hiking and some water sports on the Lake. The town is friendly and there are some great little shops and small businesses. Don't miss the marina!

The Lodge offers free Wi-Fi (connection can be slow and not very reliable, but hey: it's up a big hill in the woods and, it's free).

For a no-frills vacation stay in a kind-of-rustic--but-comfortable-setting, you can't beat Seneca Lodge. Reminds me of family vacations when I was a youngster.

Room Tip: New cabins have air conditioners and new bathrooms. As a female I appreciated this over the the old...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have been a high performance driving instructor at Watkins Glen International for 18 years and have avoided the FAMOUS Seneca for anything other than a bar to hang out with track buddies. Last season we had a foreign exchange student with us and could not stay at 'Bout Time B&B so had to take a room that a friend was not using at the Seneca Lodge. Intrigued, I thought this was my chance to see what it was like and I wasn't expecting much. I wasn't disappointed. From the moment I walked into my moldy room (yes, there was actually mold growing on the walls), I knew I was in for a craptastic experience. This is a motel with the barest of bones accomodations. You get a bed with scratchy sheets and a polyester quilt, a 1970's era bathroom and very little else. The ONLY good things I can say is that it's relatively cheap, within walking distance of the bar/restaurant and did I mention that it's cheap? A good place to stay at the track if you're going for rustic, but don't want to sleep on the ground. Check out The Falls--their rooms are beautiful, the grounds are very nice, the restaurant and bar are right there and it's really only a few bucks more. If you're traveling with a dog, or just want something a bit nicer, check out 'Bout Time B&B.

Room Tip: I hear there are a few renovated rooms, ask for one of those--DO NOT stay in one of cabins. That is...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Perry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was just what we were looking for. Peace & quiet. Felt like we were going back in time. We had a motel room that had been updated in the last year with completely new bath room, air conditioner and flat screen tv. The bed was real comfortable too. We loved the lodge for breakfast and dinner. The bar has such racing history and the bar tender shared the stories with us and some of our friends that were staying there too. Check out the nickelodeon that still works. Everyone was so nice, especially our girl who cleaned our rooms. Whatever we needed she was there to help. So close to all the fun in Watkins and the track. . There was a large group of us staying there and I believe we all enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Just ask for a king bed with updated room or one of the newly undated cabins.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We booked our reservations months in advance, and upon arrival, were turned away and told to come back later because we arrived an hour before check-in. Not so bad, we thought. But thought differently when our retired friend and his wife asked if she could stay in the room a half an hour beyond check out time on the day of departure to allow time for her husband to return from a competition which finished at 11:00 AM, coinciding with check out time. Nope, an extra half hour would require that they pay for another night's stay. No exceptions.

We knew when we booked that we had signed up for a no-frills location, but Seneca Lodge takes the no frills concept to a whole new level. Don't forget to bring shampoo, an iron, coffee maker, hair dryer, paper cups and tissue. The room had none of these. You get a bed, a TV and alarm clock, linens and a bar of soap. No exceptions.

And if you are planning to get an early start to hike the glen, you'll need to drive a mile or so downtown for a cup of coffee, since the on-site restaurant doesn't open until 8:00AM.

And complimentary coffee for motel guests once the restaurant does open? Not on your life. $2 per cup. No exceptions.

The owner wase rude and arrogant, and treated us like she was doing us a huge favor letting us stay there.

Top that all off with moldy rooms with a mildewy smell so strong that it triggered allergy attacks, and lingered on our suitcases and bags as we brought them home, you have the makings for a perfect nightmare of a "resort". Yes, the sheets and towels were clean, but the effects of mold in the room superceded whatever cleanliness the linens provided.

The air conditioner was a window model attached to an exterior wall, and sounded like it was going to blow up when it kicked in.

Our nightly rate for a motel room was equal to what we paid at the Inn at the Finger Lakes in Auburn the night before, which was new, clean, modern, and included breakfast and all the expected room amenities.

Avoid the Seneca Lodge at all costs. it is not charming, rustic or quaint. It is disgusting. Convenient location is the only redeeming quality I can find. But I would rather walk to the Glen from downtown than ever stay at the Lodge again.

Room Tip: The actual cleanliness of the room (shower, toilet, sheets, towels) was acceptable. But mold in the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Upstate NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Don't go with high expectations. There are no great amenities. The rooms are dated, but clean. The air conditioners are loud, wheezy window units. But the restaurant is great! The location is ideal for the killer state park or the racetrack. I stay here for track days at Watkins Glenn, it is 5 minutes from the track and the place is usually filled with other track guys so you can hang out and have a good time. I have only stayed in the "motel." They have the best rates in the area, so combine that with the location to get an average review. If this place had competitors nearby that were NOT just as basic or much more expensive, the review would change!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This place is a 3rd generation family owned business and definitely a bit on the "rustic" side but thats the charm. Ritz Carlton it is not, but if you are looking for a place that beckons back to the 1950's - this is it. The cabins and A frames are your best bet.

And the bar is one of the coolest bars you'll ever step foot in - anywhere. The bar is a living museum for all the formula one races from nearby Watkins Glen Race track ( and the bartenders are more than happy to point out the cool stuff on the walls). For you micro brew fans - there's is made on premise and is really good especially the "Blonde".

The restaurant serves great comfort food - try the lamb shish kabobs for dinner.

A great value for your $$ and a nostalgic trip back into time.

Room Tip: Go for the older cabins or the log cabin or A frames for multiple quests.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Seneca Lodge? Share your experiences!