“Wouldn't Stay Anywhere Else!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Herb Cottage Bed and Breakfast

The Herb Cottage Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
The Herb Cottage Bed and Breakfast
You added The Herb Cottage Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
102 L'Hommedieu North, Watkins Glen, NY 14891   |
Ranked #15 of 19 Watkins Glen B&B and Inns
The Bay Area, California
“Wouldn't Stay Anywhere Else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

First off, read the other reviews, because they also say a lot of what I would like to say about The Herb Cottage and it's wonderful owner, Carolsue. It is a place of complete comfort, good food, and contentment.
This may sound crazy, but this California girl looked for 3 days for a place to stay in the Finger Lakes area, and even reached out to other Tripadvisor members. Then when I happened upon The Herb Cottage website, I just knew right away that it was the right place for us! Carolsue is such a wonderful host. She makes her home feel just like your home, if your home was warm, inviting, tidy and smelled like a little slice a heaven. Carolsue makes the most wonderful, artisan, aromatherapy soaps. They scent the house in a light and lovely way, and as they are for sale, they give me joy everyday, and make me yearn for The Herb Cottage...
The high points(they were all high)-Well, Carolsue is the highest point. She makes a yummy breakfast and the most scrumptious, free-trade, freshly roasted and ground coffee(snob), and I so miss the much looked forward to popcorn at night. The Sage Room-spacious, airy, clean and comfortable. The other rooms were also beyond charming, and so much bigger than I expected. Yes, you share a bathroom, and no, you do not mind. The grounds-beautiful and I only wish my Husband didn't have to see everything in the area, as I'd liked to have relaxed out on the hammock and soaked up the peace and green of Carolsue's great backyard. Next time... Check the yard at night if you're not from the East Coast-Fireflies! And last but not least, Carolsue even packed us a lunch for our long ride back to Manhattan for our East Coast family get together. She is an angel!
As we were visiting the area on the way down from Niagara, I was surprised to find a plethora of magical, and captivating waterfalls(this is not just a wine area). Carolsue will point them all out to you if you ask, and tell you of one that not many people see. Be sure to go to Watkins Glen State Park, it's 2 minutes away. While Niagara is impressive, I found the ethereal quality, and the surprising quantity of the falls in Montour Falls, and Watkins Glen not to be rivaled. Who knew? Well, now we do, and we'll be back-to see Carolsue and the falls, but mostly Carolsue... (-;

Room Tip: Sage is the biggest, but they are all lovely in thier own way.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Lovely setting, calm atmosphere, great night's sleep, wonderful organic food and one fantastic host...what's not to love?

The Herb Cottage has four immaculate rooms (on the second floor, where you share the bathroom). We traveled as a family of four and had a great fortune to practically have entire Herb Cottage to ourselves for one night! Herb Cottage is conveniently located (easy to find) and although it's next to the road, we found it to be very relaxing and quiet.

This B&B is just beautiful. One of the first things you'll notice upon your arrival are the pleasant aromas of herbs (from the herbal workshop and the kitchen), and the calm ambiance. Each room is also named after an herb, and every single one looks fantastic. The bedding is super comfortable, and smells great!

Carolsue (your host) is such a great person, you'll love meeting her. When we arrived she offered us some white whine with mango ice cubes and some cheese snacks (yum). After a quick tour of the cottage we settled in the dining nook enjoying our wine and a great conversation. The next morning we slept in a little and had a later start. Carolsue was so accommodating and generous, she asked us in advance about our food preferences and prepared the most delicious Grand Mariner 12-grain toasts with syrup, whipped cream and blueberries.

Even though we only stayed one night, we felt incredibly welcomed, just like good old friends. A visit to the Herb Cottage is an experience not to be missed!

Make sure to check out Carolsue's handmade soap. It's also fantastic.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
fort gratiot
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

For my first time staying at a Bed & Breakfast I was amazed at the serenity of the Home and the Quality of the Organic Food. The Owner was so accommodating. Cleanliness and Hospitality were eppreciated.

Room Tip: Book Early
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

This is a charming B&B in Montour Falls, just across the lake from Watkins Glen. The rooms are lovely, everything is very clean, and Carolsue is a terrific host. She's great company if you're in the mood, and unobtrusive if you`re not. She made a terrific restaurant recommendation (The Stonecat) and prepares wonderful breakfasts! We had a wonderful stay and I wouldn`t hesitate to stay there again. In fact, I hope we will.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I decided to drive up to the Finger Lakes area for a romantic getaway to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We found this B & B online, and my husband called to make a reservation. Just from the brief conversation he had with the super-friendly owner, Carolsue, we knew we were in for a real treat! :) We arrived to a beautiful, immaculate house, where we were warmly greeted by Carolsue and the wonderful aroma of herbs from her gift shop. We stayed in the Sage Room, with a King Bed, which was so comfortable and cozy. The other rooms looked really cute and comfortable, too. The bathroom is in the hallway, but was never an issue. Carolsue pays great attention to keeping her house spotless and bleaches the bathroom every day, so you never feel strange about sharing a bathroom with other guests. There is a clawfoot bath tub, perfect for a relaxing bubble bath! ;) The medicine cabinet was filled with nice little amenities too, in case you forgot anything. I cannot say enough good things about Carolsue- she is one of the most charming, fascinating people I have ever met! :) She is incredibly warm and sweet, and just makes the best breakfasts ever! They are all organic and vegetarian, healthy and hearty! She also makes REALLY good organic popcorn for a snack at night! We had such a great stay here, and this is coming from someone who has traveled extensively. We were actually having so much fun, that by the 2nd day, we had decided to stay an extra night! ;) During our visit, we ate at some great restaurants which Carolsue recommended- The Rooster Fish Brewery & Pub/Wildflower Cafe (they share a menu) in Watkins Glen (5 minutes away), the Stone Cat Cafe (only a 15 minute drive), and Moosewood in Ithaca (about 1/2 hour drive- VERY fun town!). All have excellent organic and vegetarian options. Also, we drove out to Hammondsport one day and went to Bully Hill Vineyards- a "no frills" winery, which was SO much fun! The people that work there wear tie-dye and speak in rhyme. ;) And the wines are delicious! We had such an amazing time on this trip and absolutely cannot wait to come back to this B & B- it really was like a home away from home, and I know Carolsue will be a life-long friend. Feel free to contact me with any questions... my name is Kimmie, and I'm at: derikimmie@comcast.net

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
muppetmaker
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

If during your correspondence you can find a good date where you are here at the cottage alone go for it. Carolesue is a wonderful host, the food is completely organic and absolutely amazing, the house smells so sweet its like walking through a garden. A truly amazing experience, a must stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Herb Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!