“ok” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 19 Attractions in Watkins Glen
Type: Farms, Ranch & Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: This farm offers sanctuary and a home for abused farm animals, and helps to educate Americans about treating animals with respect and compassion.
Corning, New York, United States
3 attraction reviews
“ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

it is a good place to takeur kids on a boring day when u have nothing to do

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“For animal lovers, animal activists, vegetarians, and those who don't get it at all.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Although it was mostly down for the winter, my 12 year old animal rights activist vegan daughter and I visited the Sanctuary today and were given a tour by a staff member in anticipation of an event we're planning in the future. There is a "Peoples Barn" educational center, and there are regularly scheduled tours in the warmer seasons. There are plans for a retreat center for groups in the future, in addition to the 3-cabin bed and breakfast they currently run. The B&B fare is strictly vegan. The cabins are new, clean, but very basic and no frills. The Sanctuary is home to over 500 animals, mostly rescued from the animal food industry, each with its own story. The primary educational goal for the sanctuary and all its activities is to speak out against the "animals as commodity" paradigm. But don't worry, the "sell" is a gentle one. And the staff member who showed us around explained that they really enjoy speaking with people from different viewpoints for an exchange of ideas, and she said it with what seemed to be real convection, explaining that she herself comes from a family of hunters and worked on a farm herself. The site is beautiful, and for animal loving folks, great fun.
One caveat, the staff person expressed an interesting note to ponder. Young children may think that all farms are like this one.
And one warning--do not use your GPS to get to the sanctuary. It will take you on seasonally challenged dirt roads through woods. Use the directions from Watkins Glen that are on the Farm Sanctuary website instead. The directions and the signage on the way are really clear--which is good for people like my daughter and me who are directionally challenged.

Visited February 2012
Hartford, Connecticut
“My favorite charity!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I have been a Farm Sanctuary supporter for years, and for our wine country visit in 2008, my husband and I decided to stay in the cabins and have the private tour.

We found the staff to be welcoming and very pleasant, even though we were there during the final weekend that the rentals were offered before closing for the winter season. The cabins are cozy and needing to go to the main 'barn' in order to use facilities and shower was not a hardship at all.

The animals are, of course, the high point! I loved our tour and the chance to visit with the animals, get pictures taken and interact with the cows, goats and sheep, turkeys & pigs! We go back as often as possible.

Visited October 2011
Franklin Lakes, NJ
27 attraction reviews
“Not for a weak stomach”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I adore animals and was thrilled about visiting a sanctuary that saves animals from torture and abuse. I was very turned off when we walked into the main waiting area and saw gruesome posters of tortured animals. While I love cows and pigs, I am not a vegan. I do not believe in animal cruelty, but do believe in our right to eat meat. We immediately got the vibe that everyone around us were vegan extremists. We had not noticed the propaganda prior to paying the $5 per person entrance fee. We left after we were told that we had to endure a film before touring the farm. (I could only imagine what that would have been like after viewing the brochures and photos on the walls) I felt good about our $10 donation to helping the animals, but did not think we could handle the message they were about to give us.

Ossining, New York
8 attraction reviews
“An AWESOME Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I'd love to come back as an animal in the sanctuary, there is nothing that they want for. It was a wonderful and eye opening experience to know the cruelty these animals face. It is wonderful to learn that these animals are so docile and friendly. On the tour you are taken into these animals' pens and able to interact with them. i have never been that close to such a huge cow or pig!! these animals just stand there and love the attention of you scratching their bellies and backs!

Visited September 2011