“Closed?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Y Ffynnon Restaurant, Bar, Bed & Breakfast

Y Ffynnon Restaurant, Bar, Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cwm-twrch Isaf
Y Ffynnon Restaurant, Bar, Bed & Breakfast
You added Y Ffynnon Restaurant, Bar, Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
43 Heol Twrch, Cwm-twrch Isaf SA9 2TD, Wales (Formerly The Mole Inn)   |
Ystradgynlais, United Kingdom
“Closed?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

There's a note on the door saying that this place has closed down... they may be looking for new owners, but it's closed now. AUG 2012.

I'd eaten there before and it was okay, if a little pretentious for the area, whereas the other local pubs seem to be packed out, the Mole wasn't. There's always room for a better class of food, but not if there's not a demand for food at those prices.

It seemed to survive on the Motorcycle Adventure Bike off-road school and there were frequently BMW bikes parked up, but there's more alternatives now, so maybe that was detrimental to the business.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed at the Mole while participating in a BMW off-road training course. BY USA standards the place is sub-par. The rooms are sparse, no a/c, squeaky floors and the shower did not function properly. Afetr my last day of riding, I returned to the hotel for my final night stay. The door was locked and I could not get anyone to answer the door. Luckily I had all my gear with me. I drove closer to Heathrow and found another hotel. My credit card was charged for the night I did not stay there. Mole management has not answered any emails I have sent them regarding the issue. I will say the staff was friendly, the beer was good and the food was fair.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Having read some previous reviews we were a little concerned about staying here. However, the rooms were comfortable, the staff very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good. The Mole Inn seems to be geared towards overnight stays for those taking part in adventure holidays and for that purpose it was excellent. We came via Call of the Wild following a days canyoning - we were made very welcome and enjoyed out brief stay here. I wouldn't recommend staying here if you are looking for a hotel in a pretty location or with 5* facilities but if you are looking for an overnighter it is excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed at The Mole Inn last weekend, it was convenient for me, as I was with the BMW boyz off roading nearby.

I should have know this place was going to be different when I made the enquiry on line. I had to make two further attempts and a telephone call, before someone could summon the energy to deal with my enquiry. Even then I was told they had accommodation for the available dates, but then I had to chase again for confirmation of booking.

I originally booked three nights but changed this to two nights about a month in advance of my stay, I emailed the hotel to let them know. (Email is certainly not one of there strong points)

When I arrived shorty after 4.30pm, I was greeted by a member of staff, who didn't know that I had a firm booking, but went off to check. When he returned he said the room wasn't ready, but I could wait in the bar area for 20 mins or so until it was.... I wouldn't mind, but the hotel had very few guests the night before, so I struggled to understand why the room wasn't ready. (Don't arrive before 5pm)

The room was situated on the 2nd floor, but was told the lift doesn't work, and hasn't worked for some time. The room was warm, bright and airy, but the finish was poor. I was situated in room 8 which had a small door leading off from the en-suite to another en-suit, which I found out belonged to room 7! NO security whatsoever. Thankfully when asked no one was booked in to room seven, which for me was a welcome relief.

Dinner was poor, no half carafes of wine only a full bottle. As I was dining alone and on two wheels the next day, I didn't fancy a full bottle but went along with it, and kept half bottle for the next night.

I must say the staff (kids) were helpful, tentative, and helpful, but missed the main ingredient which was leadership. The owner was nowhere to be seen all weekend and left young Danielle in charge.

I was first in the restaurant, but had to wait 45 mins for my starter , which was over cooked and tasteless. The main wasn't much better. The table next to me, sent back his burger as it was dead!

I got talking to a local who said the place has gone from bad to worse, which is a shame, as this was a really buzzing place some time ago.

Personally I would be very surprised if The Mole Inn is under the same management team in September 2013.

I have just tried logging on to their wed site, which appears to be down at present, may be this is the sign of imminent closure...

Dreadful place.

Room Tip: don't choose room 7,or 8
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Bolton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We recently stayed at the Mole Inn, originally booked in for three nights but stayed two. First of all, I'd like to say that the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and the accommodation itself clean and tidy....

We paid in full for a double en-suite room, some three months in advance of our arrival date. On arrival we were told that due to a booking error, our accommodation situation had changed. We opened the door to our room to discover a small, empty room, save for a fold-away bed in the corner and a small cabinet with a TV on top of it. No chair, mirror, bin, coat-hangers - nothing. I would normally have left immediately to find alternative accommodation elsewhere, but as this was Easter Weekend in a fairly remote area, there was nothing available. Additionally, we were now subject to the limitations of shared bathroom facilities which although clean, lacked the basics such as replenishment of toilet rolls. Sleeping in the room was problematic due to paper-thin walls and radiators that still came on at 4am despite the thermostat being set to 'off'.

Given that we had booked and paid in full some months earlier, I'd have at least hoped for a phone call or e-mail message offering options or cancellation ahead of arrival on the day...but this was not the case and we were somewhat over a barrel.

To their credit, the cost of the evening meal in the restaurant was removed from the bill when we checked out early on the third day. We had managed to find alternative accommodation for the final night of the stay and quite frankly decided they could keep the money for that night. I understand that a fellow guest was in the same situation and also left for alternate accommodation that morning.

The restaurant itself had pleasant staff and service, but for our experience at the time, the food was average and somewhat dried-out / had spent a long time in the oven.

Despite the pleasant staff and cleanliness of The Mole Inn, I will never be staying here in the future. I would advise those looking to stay here that they should double and triple-check their booking a week or two ahead of arrival - but this may still not be any guarantee.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-6 are I believe the 'proper' rooms, but this may change when you arrive.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We have recently returned from a 2 night stay here and will think very seriously about returning as things currently stand. We chose it partly on a recommendation and partly because the location was more suitable for our plans. This is the third B & B we have stayed in in this area and it comes a definite third in our overall experience.
I had initial problems when making the booking. Despite having to pay the full amount in advance, I had to leave two phone messages and send an e-mail before I received confirmation of my booking.
Do not believe what you read on their website. It is out of date in several respects compared to what they actually offer now.
We were given room 6, one of the rooms for people with mobility impairment, although we are both quite fit and able-bodied. There was no advertised hairdryer or bottles of water in the room and the bed was an average size. However the biggest problem we found was that the shower water went all over the bathroom floor as there is no separate cubicle and the drain is in the wrong position. We had to have showers on separate days as the floor and bath mat were too wet for a second person on the same day. When we returned later in the day on our full day there, we found that no attempt had been made to sort this out when the room was tidied and the soaking wet bath mat was still in the same place on the wet floor. We have reported this when checking out, so hopefully they will try to resolve the problem. The room itself was ok, with the usual facilities, although the tea bags were not replenished and we had to go and collect fresh milk ourselves, having asked twice for more.
The cooked breakfast was nice and substantial, although it wasn't until the second morning we realised we hadn't been given all the items listed on the menu on the first morning and even then, we did not get the full listed ingredients. We decided not to make a fuss about this as there was still plenty of food. An offer of more toast and condiments would also have been nice.
We had an evening meal there on our first night which was nice and well cooked. My only grumble with this was that the very small slice of fudge cake I had for dessert was overpriced at over £4.
The staff are friendly but I believe there is definitely room for improvement if they want to compete with the other B & Bs in the Ystradgynlais area.

Room Tip: Avoid room 6!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed for a long weekend and took full advantage of the beautiful Brecon Beacons nearby. Rooms were clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Downstairs restaurant had lovely food and a side room with a fire which was bliss after a hard day's hiking. Staff were very attentive without being annoying, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Y Ffynnon Restaurant, Bar, Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!