“Fantastic location, great rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Queen Elizabeth National Park
Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge
You added Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge to your Saves list
Queen Elizabeth, Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Fantastic location, great rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The location can't be beat, with views over the channel, and the sounds of hippos. If you're a light sleeper, it could be a bit of a problem, as you can hear the hippos just below the cabins grunting and moving around all night, but this is part of the experience. The view from the porches is great, watching the hippos, and if your lucky, elephants.

The rooms were very nice, spacious and clean. The outdoor shower was a neat touch, although as someone noted, there could be some privacy issues. The lounge and dining area, as well as the fire pit before / after dinner were all very nice.

We had initially planned on staying in one of the tents, but they were very small, had only single bed cots, and we were a little concerned about the thought of having to use the rest room in the middle of the night without an escort to protect you from marauding hippos. They advised us to "just use the rest room before you go to sleep." The upgrade to the cabins was well worth it, as they were so nice.

The food was quite good as well. The service was a little indifferent. Nothing bad, but no one overly friendly or helpful. We inquired about different safari and boat excursions and they didn't seem to really be sure of any of the options or prices. This seemed a bit strange, since this is what everyone is there for, and they probably have to answer these questions daily.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had two nights here as we wanted to try it and be cose the Chambura for chimp trekking. (we moved on to Mweya later as we always do) The approach road was a bit of a drag to use often.
The tents were fine and overlooked the inlet of Kazinga channel. Marsh birds, Hippos and even Giant Forest Hog were seen. The photographs will show the layout. The beds were fine, storage was limited and the Nets far too fussy to use. Simpler arrangements exist.
We found the Eco credentials a bit wanting. They have a Generator so why not supply power to Tents? The Hot water was brought by buckets. I like to shave first thing and don't like cold water. OH I can live with it but why this pretence? They had to heat the water somehow so why not by solar? I think this Eco thing was more a marketing "feel good" tool than a real attempt to save the planet. The Toilet was a sand and gravel job. I don't mind that at all.
We had a comfortable two nights here. The staff were friendly and courteous at all times. The food was excellent but I did wonder how they would cope in the small Restaurant tent if all tents were occupied.
I would go back and try it again if the need arose. I like this type of place and wish to encourage them but for what they are not on "Eco" grounds .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The cabins are comfortable and well-equipped with hot water delivered to outdoor shower on demand. Meals are set and we ate very well for $15 a head each evening. With the good breakfast, we skipped lunch so it was good value. Set inside the Queen Elizabeth National Park, you need an escort after dark to move around the site. One night our guide stopped us to allow a hippo to amble slowly across the path on its way back to the water. birdlife is amazing and many animals are in easy reach. this park is not up to the standards of the great Tanzanian parks but our trip on the Kazinga channel was wonderful and a great change from bumping along the dirt roads in a 4 x 4. The site is beautifully maintained, generously staffed and the staff are friendly and helpful. I would say one waitress was a grumpy madam, but she improved during our three days there so maybe it was just PMT or something.

Room Tip: all the cabins are beautifully placed and well laid out.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in November 2011 and gave it an easy 5 stars. On our return trip to Uganda in November 2012, this was the only property that we requested to use again because we loved it so much last year. However, things have changed during the past 12 months and I can no longer say we are as impressed with the property as we were last year. Generally speaking this lodge has great views of the channel and surrounding area, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff friendly and attentive, overall a great value. However, I would be remiss if I didn't point out some of the issues we observed/experienced this go around and it all comes down to the details.

- As a group of 4 travelers, we were given the newly constructed 'tents' Fish Eagle and Giant Forest Hog which are connected by a common veranda. (ideal for groups or families who need to be able to go between 'tents' without escort or worry of hippos/buffaloes). I immediately noticed that neither 'tent' had indoor shelves to store any personal effects such as toiletries, cameras, guide books, etc (the older 'tents' have a corner shelving unit). Fish Eagle did not have any built in shelf in the shower area to hold your soap as you showered as the other units all had.

- The two newer units are also set slightly farther back from the existing units, thus their views of the channel are nonexistent (not necessarily a complaint as much as an FYI).

- Upon check-in, we immediately went to our 'tent' and proceeded to ready ourselves for a shower before dinner. I went out to the open air shower and found our tank to be completely empty. Since the other 2 members of our group were not showing before dinner, I ran over to use theirs. As I was showering, the staff came to put the hot water in the tank. They were completely unconcerned about the fact that there was a naked guy below them as they were working. Although I am not shy about people seeing me in the buff, I cannot say the say about all people, especially female guests. I found it a tad disturbing and inappropriate that they did not announce themselves before proceeding up the ladder, did not stop when they saw me there or apologize for the obvious intrusion of privacy.

- Neither of the new units had a mirror outside by the wash basin for those wishing to shave or do other personal grooming items that are aided by a mirror (cannot remember if the old units do).

- As a fix for a complaint noted by a previous poster, the staff would put an oil lantern in the shower area at night for you to see. However, as with the shower incident mentioned above, the staff would come and go unannounced to leave/retrieve the lantern. Again I find this inappropriate.

- During the meal periods, we continuously found the salt and/or pepper to be empty.

- At breakfast the staff failed to provide plates for use with your toast. Thus you were forced to hold onto your toast as you buttered/jellied your toast up until the point you ate it.

- The morning of our checkout we had to ask for, then wait for the staff to tally up our bar/laundry tab. Then once done, they did not have change when we paid them.

I almost feel bad nitpicking on these things, but feel I would do future travelers an injustice by not pointing them out. These are all minor issues when taken by themselves, but as they stacked up during the trip, it just showed that the property has relaxed in some of the areas that made it so great last time around. Hopefully they will buckle down and become the great property they once were and can/should be.

Room Tip: Giant Forest Hog and Fish Eagle are newer rooms that have a connected veranda which are great for la...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kampala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is excellent lodge in terms of serving staff, delicious food, very helpful staff, splendid location Awesome. Shubhra Sinha. We enjoyed each moment. Food 7 just being at lodge. You can have best luxury in spectacularly wild forest at best price. Affordable !!
We stayed 2 nights & now there is great urge to be there for atleast a week

Room Tip: All rooms are good !!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was by far my favorite accomodation during my 3 weeks in Uganda. My "room" was on a platform with canvas sides (with screens) that could be opened. there was a veranda with two chairs overlooking the lake. I could see and hear hippos and elephants cavorting in the water. The outdoor shower was kind of fun. When I asked, a man brought pails of hot water and dumped them into an elevated tank which dumped out into my private "yard". The drop-toilet is inside the cabin -- you put scoopfulls of sand down the shute to prevent odors.
They even had a luggage stand (very unusual in Uganda)
The restaurant was excellent. There was a fixed menu for dinner: mushroom turnovers, pumpkin soup, roasted beef, and banana fritters for desert.
I wish I could have stayed longer than one night.
The only problem I had was that the staff decided to clean and dismantle my room before I had checked out--including taking away the toilet!

Room Tip: I thought they were all fantastic.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge for 1 night. The bush lodge setting is really good and it was nice to sit on our verandah looking out seeing hippos. The sunset was absolutely amazing. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge? Share your experiences!