“Basic, nothing to shout about!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Garden Lodge

Garden Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stone Town
Garden Lodge
Save Saved
You added Garden Lodge to your Saves list
Kaunda Road, Stone Town, Tanzania   |
Ranked #27 of 30 hotels in Stone Town
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Basic, nothing to shout about!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed here two nights and to be honest it was basic but nothing flash. I am a backpacker and my motto is as long as it is clean then it is fine, this place wasn't as clean as I would have liked. The sheets had stains on them and the bathroom still had hair visible on the floor.

The mozzie nets had holes in, the fans in the rooms were useless and the breakfast was poor.
Location on the other hand was great, located at the quiet end of the main street and in a safe location.

You get what you pay for I guess!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I loved the Garden Lodge. It was like staying in a large old style house. The room was reasonably priced and each one different. There was even hot water which can be a bit of a luxury!! The lodge had lovely balconys to sit and chill on and a nice rooftop terrace to sit and read a book in the sun or shade.

The staff were ok, mit miserable sometimes but helpful enough and I wasn't there for customer service anyway. The lodge is on a lovely quiet and safe street, surrounded by a lovely garden away from the hustle and bustle but still within 5 minutes walking distance to the action.

Large bottles of cold water can be bought at reception and they have fridges on each floor so you keep it cool if needed. There is also a telly on each floor.

As far as budget accommodation goes it was lovely, clean and I just felt really relaxed there.

We did go for breakfast one morning but didn't have enough time to wait for the relaxed pace of the lady cooking the breakfast. I went in to the kitchen but don't think I was meant to and one thing I could say was to stay away from the fruit as it is all cut up prior to people arriving so is sitting out in the warmth giving ample time for for flying nasties to have a wee munch or other things!!

Apart from that minor thing though, I loved it and would recommend a stay if heading that way.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
florence
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

The Garden Lodge is a budget hotel, do not expect any luxury but it has all you need to visit Stone town. The location is great, safe area and a short distance to the city centre with lots of restaurants and shops nearby. We stayed for 4 nights, in a double room with private bathroom, for just 40$ including breakfast. Room was very basic, but it has all the necessary: big bed with mosquito net and bathroom with plenty of hot water. It was also very clean. Only issue is the room is that it can be pretty noisy, the mosquee is just a few steps away, but you get used to it! Staff was helpful, we left our valuable items at reception and felt very safe. Breakfast was fine, not so big, but for the money you would not expect more.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mechelen, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at Garden Lodge for 2 nights. It was ok. We had a nice room. Staff gave information when we asked, but gave us the impression of being a bit depressed... they didn't seem very happy (especially the lady at breakfast wasn't friendly at all) , but they did always help us when we asked them something, so I guess that's the most important thing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
suffolk, va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

My sister and I stayed in a 2nd floor room and found it clean and comfortable. Staff were very friendly and stored luggage for us our last day while we toured Jozoni Forest. The breakfasts on the roof were tasty and view up there was nice. I would recommend requesting a 2nd or 3rd floor room. The hotel was very convenient to all the sights of stonetown and we would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011
shanghai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

The garden lodge is totally a nightmare to me and my friends. It looks good from appearance. But the room has a strong smell and it's dusty. No electrical socket in room. The most disgusting thing is, when I waked up at night, finding the bed was all covered with these small climbing bloodsucker bugs. I went to the one on duty at night, asked for pesticide and clean sheets. And that's all. They didn't even asked to look at the room. Lucky we have another vacant bed thus I changed bed. There were also bugs on that bed! I had to stay awake all night with the bugs around, waiting for morning.
When we told the hotel employee the case, he just said he was sorry, but no more apology. Also no compensation, no regrets.
All the other days in Zanzibar were good. But this hotel ruined my last night in Zanzibar.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
DeeFitzsimons
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My friends and I ended our holidays in this hotel. It's basic but it's safe and the staff are friendly. The location is great!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!