“Loved every minute....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Stone Town
Landau
“Loved every minute....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have really enjoyed my stay at the Princess Salme Inn. Everyone working there was helpful, kind and you just felt very welcomed. The room was very nice and clean. I felt at home, instantly. Breakfast consisted of fruits, bread, tea, juice, bagia etc. I liked it a lot. I had to leave rather early, at 6 am, in order to catch my plane back home & was very happy to find out that breakfast would be ready for me at 5:30 am. This way I could eat a bite, before heading out. Not only that, but the nice lady who made breakfast for me, also kept me company while eating and was jsut very helpful in general. Staying at the Princess Salme Inn felt like staying with family, which is very nice, especially when you've been traveling around for quite some time. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
dar el salamm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Located a few minutes walk from the ferry terminal, this hostel is clean although a little spartan. The staff are very helpful, the accommodation is at the budget end although 35 dollars for a room with shared bathroom seemed a little on the high side. The breakfast was awesome though. Once again as with so many of our hotels in Tanzania wifi was so slow is was not worth bothering with. Then it broke down and had not been fixed by the time we left. Other than that an excellent stay

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We (parents with 2 children) stayed here for a couple of nights. The hotel is situated in a traditional Stone Town building with a nice rooftop terrace. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. Breakfast is excellent, with lots of fruits, chapati's, eggs ... Free tea and coffee all day.
We had two double rooms with en-suite bathrooms with shower.
The hotel is located near the harbour, very close the center of Stone Town. Nevertheless, after dark it is advisable to take a taxi.
In the evening there is some noise from the street.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Middelburg, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Salme Inn is a perfect place to stay in Stone Town.
The staff is very helpfull, breakfast is perfect on the beautiful roof terras.
Our only problem was the space in our room; we didn't know where to leave our luggage.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in this hotel and it was perfect for my needs. I was picked up from the airport for $10 by taxi which was much cheaper than most other private taxis.

The hotel is in a very dodgy part of town and as a single female traveler, I didn't always feel very safe, but nevertheless didn't encounter anything untoward. The main area is an easy 5 minute walk from the hotel.
The bedroom I stayed in was a reasonable size and had a nice bathroom with a good shower (just what I needed after terrible showers at a previous hotel).

The staff were always very friendly and helped me book my trips and transfers. The only issue I had was with a lady on reception, who accused me of not paying $10 for a transfer I booked. But as I definitely remembered paying and had a receipt as proof, there was not much more she could say (though she tried several times and made me feel like a thief!).

A big negative: the neighbours- there are people who live in private housing in very close proximity to the hotel and there was a lady who kept on shouting in a very high-pitched voice late into the night and lots of kids screaming at all hours. With it being Ramadan at the time, I understood that people are likely to be awake for longer in the evenings, but that was excessive. I even had to wear ear plugs to help me sleep.

Big positives: free WIFI!! Reasonable breakfast. Free tea and coffee all day. Help yourself to other drinks and write down what you took in a book and pay at the end.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in July 2013 and the whole experience could be described as average. The main negative for us was the room. We stayed in a double room with a private bathroom. The bedroom was absolutely tiny! The size of the bed in comparison to the rest of the room was crazy. We were barely able to walk around the bed as the rest of the room was so tiny leaving us feeling very claustrophobic. There are other factors that are also not in the hostel's favor. The location is at the dirtier end of Stone Town and the hostel driver was atrocious. Whilst the rest of the staff are great there are much better places to stay in Stone Town for a little bit more money. I would recommend choosing an alternative.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kabul
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

To be honest, this was a very basic guest house. I actually stayed in the room that is in the pictures, which was fine, but for the baby cockroaches that I woke up to wondering around my bed. The hotel staff were friendly, but were un-able to figure out a change in our reservation, so I ended up paying for 2 rooms rather than one. The location was great if you are coming in and out of the ferry terminal and is only a short walk to the historic area.
If you are just looking for a place to stay for the night, this will do, especially since it is super cheap, but it doesn't stack up to countless other hotels around the world that I have stayed at for the same price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Princess Salme Inn? Share your experiences!